Can Netcam take 5 images and send them attached by email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Netcam take 5 images and send them attached by email

Is there a way Netcam can take 5 images, one second apart after a triggered event and send them attached by email. From what I am reading the using the * wildcard character method is not an option.

Has anyone tried this or come up with a workaround. I imagine this would be a fairly normal requirement for users of camera based systems.

Used to use Netcam many many years ago. That said in the Windows world I would utilize Jon00's scripts to combine images for my weather page. I would also utilize WeatherXML to post those images for my touchscreens.

Also here utilized Zoneminder for stills and videos. Used python scripts for this stuff.

You can today use a short python script to combine 5 images for an email.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete do you have a link to that script. Does it work in HS3.

Comment

The python script works with any Linux. There are a bunch out there in internetlandia.

If you name the composite then you can email it.

I went to using WeatherXML here as a map capture like image.

Here is one:

Code:
        import sys
        from PIL import Image

images = map(Image.open, ['Test1.jpg', 'Test2.jpg', 'Test3.jpg'])
        widths, heights = zip(*(i.size for i in images))

total_width = sum(widths)
        max_height = max(heights)

new_im = Image.new('RGB', (total_width, max_height))

x_offset = 0
        for im in images:
          new_im.paste(im, (x_offset,0))
          x_offset += im.size[0]

new_im.save('test.jpg')
        This is easy for the RPi.

Doing a video composite and compression was much more work for the RPi so did this as a cron job on the Zoneminder box.

Note here during the HS2 days of Netcam here saw it was too resource intensive such that one Homeseer user here went to using a VB script for still image capture which worked a bit better and was less resource intensive than Netcam. All this using Zoneminder. Zoneminder does motion capture using JPG stills. It still does that today. It is a bit primitive and works well. Large captures. Zoneminder allows capture adjustments in rates and pixel size from SD to HD.
        Last edited by Pete; October 9, 2017, 01:24 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete.

I saw a C# program somewhere that could do exactly what I wanted but I can't seem to find it now. I thought Netcam might have been able to do this natively as it gave the option of taking a number of images so I assumed it could package them and the event could email them.

I'll have a good look around so. Netcam is light enough on resources so that's why I like it.

Comment

Personally Netcam was never light enough for me in HS2 days running on Windows server at the time. (though here utilized up to 12 outdoor cameras). I do not think though one camera would be much of an issue with Netcam.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

With a little light scripting you could probably do this yourself without the need for a plugin, you can grab the image from a call with something like hs.geturl, store it and do that five times, then attach it to an email. I'm not really sure Netcam has much of a productive life any more as it does not appear to get much in the way of attention.

Comment

Working...
              X