Fire Tablets $29.99 - Next Three Hours Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Tablets $29.99 - Next Three Hours Only

Amazon is running a quick three hour sale and you can pick up a Fire Tablet for 29.99 until 9pm PST if you are a Prime member and voice order on your echo device.

I bought a bunch of these last year and they make great touch screens with ImperiHome.

Here are all the details and items for this sale: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=16924218011
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Planetview; November 22, 2017, 09:52 PM. Reason: Try to attach photos

hoe did you get power to it on the wall?

Comment

Did you root them or sideboard store to get imperihome? I could never get the camera wake on motion to work perfectly... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by mystic860 View Post
        hoe did you get power to it on the wall?
        I used this POE which has enough juice to run an iPad or larger tablet in the future if needed.

1. I cut out a one inch hole in wall.

2. Ran Ethernet cable behind wall to baseboard.

3. Behind baseboard about 10 feet.

4. Up the wall then out of a cable TV cover with rubber grommit next to a plug that was behind some equipment and plugged it in. Everything behind wall and baseboard is cat 5 cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
          Did you root them or sideboard store to get imperihome? I could never get the camera wake on motion to work perfectly... did you?
          I rooted two of the tablets so I could stream to Netflix with Chromecast. One tablet on wall could not be rooted for some reason but you can still install play store and then ImperiHome without rooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
            I could never get the camera wake on motion to work perfectly... did you?
            I got it to work pretty well.

The bedroom ones wake when I tap screen or pickup tablet from stand but not when there is motion in front of tablet (think I used camera on other side of tablet screen by reversing view or turned down sensitivity a lot).

I leave the ones not in bedroom on all the time showing ImperiHome so the screens do not go black. It was too distracting when they woke up due to changes in the room light when I watch a movie.

Comment

I bought an ematic 10 inch tablet for wall mount location but discovered the view angle is very poor compared to the Fire Tablet so people of different heights had trouble viewing ematic but not the Fire Tablet. The graphics show better on the Fire too, they look washed out on the ematic.

I tried an iPad too but could not get stable operation (had to fiddle with it constantly). The Fire tablets rarely have an issue.

Comment

ImperiHome on my cell phone has been great as well in case someone reading this is considering the switch.

Here are some screen shots (have to edit after posting for advanced option to add photos).
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Planetview; November 23, 2017, 06:07 PM. Reason: Add photos

Comment

Fire Tablets Still On Sale for $29.99

It looks like they are still running the sale but just changed the name from pre Thanksgiving to Black Friday sale.

I ordered a Fire tablet yesterday while away from home using the Alexa button in the Amazon Music app and it worked with voice ordering.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the tablets! Bestbuy, Target and Walmart all have the same $29 price. I bought one after reading this post and plan to go back for 2 more.

Comment

Fire 7 Tablets

With 2 more from the sale (Bought no ads, so a little more), I now have 7 of these up and running with Imperihome. Imperihome makes it easy to save a config file to a network location and import it across devices! A couple of basic things that have worked for me (Your mileage might vary).

1. I didn't root the devices. Might someday but really just needed access to Google Play. Good easy to follow article here... https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how...n-fire-tablet/

2. Used a free utility called "Keep Screen on Free" to keep screen alive 24/7. I use dark mode on Imperihome. Screen will still dim sufficiently when not in use.

3. Write down all the steps you do to bring up a new tablet so that they all work consistently. Trying to remember which apps I want etc.. led to some rework (Did I load Rachio?? Did I set up "Ring"?)

4. Lock down in landscape mode as a last step on each tablet.

5. Hide title bar in Imperihome. Also, use settings to hide notifications from apps you don't want the user to see.

6. Keep a tablet to yourself for development and experimentation. Save various config files as you go.

7. Plan a release schedule. While many things, like updating events in HS3, carry over immediately, much of Imperihome interface (Dashboard) items do not. You have to touch each tablet to import a new config. I resist moving every little change by planning an early Sunday morning update every week before the wife wakes up. I do wish Imperihome would add a feature to look for a new config on Google Drive or local network store on a scheduled basis!

I know the above sounds a bit basic. But with the price of these things, I think more folks will end up with multiple tablets across their homes. Having a basic strategy for managing it will make your life easier!

Jim

Comment

Grabbed another HD10 with Alexa for $114 with no ads, hard to beat that, probably get another before the days out. I have been playing with one all week and I think I'm replacing all my tablets with these. Alexa works great hands free and HSTouch is lightning fast. Happy camper here!
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by JMarias View Post
                          With 2 more from the sale (Bought no ads, so a little more), I now have 7 of these up and running with Imperihome. Imperihome makes it easy to save a config file to a network location and import it across devices! A couple of basic things that have worked for me (Your mileage might vary).

1. I didn't root the devices. Might someday but really just needed access to Google Play. Good easy to follow article here... https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how...n-fire-tablet/

2. Used a free utility called "Keep Screen on Free" to keep screen alive 24/7. I use dark mode on Imperihome. Screen will still dim sufficiently when not in use.

3. Write down all the steps you do to bring up a new tablet so that they all work consistently. Trying to remember which apps I want etc.. led to some rework (Did I load Rachio?? Did I set up "Ring"?)

4. Lock down in landscape mode as a last step on each tablet.

5. Hide title bar in Imperihome. Also, use settings to hide notifications from apps you don't want the user to see.

6. Keep a tablet to yourself for development and experimentation. Save various config files as you go.

7. Plan a release schedule. While many things, like updating events in HS3, carry over immediately, much of Imperihome interface (Dashboard) items do not. You have to touch each tablet to import a new config. I resist moving every little change by planning an early Sunday morning update every week before the wife wakes up. I do wish Imperihome would add a feature to look for a new config on Google Drive or local network store on a scheduled basis!

I know the above sounds a bit basic. But with the price of these things, I think more folks will end up with multiple tablets across their homes. Having a basic strategy for managing it will make your life easier!

Jim
                          Argh.

I remember this from the last time I tried this, can can't remember what I did to make it work.

When I go to the downloads in and click on one.... I see the install selection, but it's greyed out and won't let me click it.

Not sure why this works... but will maybe help someone else. if you click the on/off button to turn off the screen, then turn on again and open the lock screen, the install option will now be selectable.

Go figure... worked on all four files.

Also, I picked the download that was on the page, although there was a notice that there was newer versions available.

Comment

I jumped on this sale-grabbed two of them to use with Imperihome.

It took me a bit, but I finally got Google Play Store and Imperihome installed.

Can't get Imperihome to connect to my Homeseer, but it's probably just operator error. It connects fine to my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
                              Can't get Imperihome to connect to my Homeseer, but it's probably just operator error. It connects fine to my phone.
                              The free version of ImperiHome in Play store allows only limited device connections (I can't remember how many). Upgrading to pro allows unlimited.

I have found ImperiHome to be very good at support so give them a shout if you get stuck but I put a couple things to check below.

I used standard ImperiHome system for setup but you also need to set wifi info on tablet in the ImperiHome connection setup, having it in tablet is not enough (your phone can fall back to cell connection if you fail to do this where tablet cannot).

Comment

Working...
                              X