• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blade View Post
    Is this still the best to buy to integrate lightning detection into HS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMP-sensor-...4AAOSwpONZTINm

Or is there something else out there that everyone is using

TIA
    I purchased the EMP sensor last year but did not work with any distance with me. Went back to my old one-wire Hobby Boards sensor. I believe Pete had similar issues when testing the EMP sensor.

I also purchase an AcuRite 06045M to 'hack' but have not got around to looking at this yet.
    Jon

Comment

Here the maker / MFG of said sensor sent me a few different designs of the sensor to test.

None of them worked for me as described.

I also built (in the DIY section) a

How to use a AS3935 Lightning sensor with a Raspberry Pi

Which works but is not too sensitive. It would have to be installed outside with a battery for better functioning (no earth ground).

The above said I have gone back to using the old Hobby Boards lightning sensor and that works fine for me in the attic.

I do track lighting (lighning network) with a scripted area local file on my touchscreens.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks guys

Pete,
        Can u explain the hobby board one? I could put it in my attic with no issues
        How are you interfacing it with HS (Arduino?)
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

My lightning detector is still working fine after about a year.
          Never "re-tinker" with something once I get it working.

I use a lot of your addons to chart solar conditions (off grid)...
          Thanks by the way for programming that stuff.

Anyway- With the lightning detector pcb I interfaced it with a trigger delay pcb (altronix timer pcb) that holds the "nearly instantaneous" trigger pulse for a few seconds giving my "slow" HS pc a chance to see it. (pc is slow because it is atom based, living off grid so no supercomputer power available.)
          Anyway by slow triggering the input, I can "miss" some strikes, so the count will be lower than actual in most storms (assume timing of strikes is every 2 seconds for an entire minute, my system will retrigger and start timer of 5 seconds delay, and thus never "reset"- end result would be counting 1 strike for the entire minute of strikes in example)
          But that "flaw" aside, it is really an early warning system, and is pretty good indicator of intensity of storm (counting strikes).

I set up a device to count strikes.
          It resets after 3hours of no strikes, but keeps last data viewable (string) until new storm starts.

There were some users talking about 1-wire devices, but mine is hardwired to a remote concrete encapsulated sensor & camera tower, about half a mile from the house (I live off grid remember).
          There has been zero false triggers but my installation is quite remote and uses isolated power, dirty power can trigger false a lot!
          Overall, I am very happy with the feature.

I do suggest using isolated power to the device, if a long run (like mine) because such pulse and lightning could damage homeseer inputs upon a surge condition.

In my setup I used the "digital output" of the pcb, as the digitally triggered timer had no use for the analog level anyway.

I hope that information helps...

Comment

@Bob,

Here is a description / picture of the Hobby Boards lightning sensor board.

Hobby Boards has closed their business and recently it appears to have been purchased and it looks like maybe they will be coming back.

The board has a dual 1-wire counter. Very simple design.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

i had a script that i have released today because its out of beta on an other forum (dutch) realtime lightning detection and u can set the km/voice message/pushover message/events etc..

but its only for the netherlands... i did check if i can use the usa but only the big city's and not all.. so postal codes not work yet.

but if they update it to use the whole world ill post it here.

just to bad it doesn't work with the USA because it works really good, did test it a couple of weeks ago.

regards
              Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
              Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Here use a lightning GIF generated by Saratoga Weather. The link / gif is saved in Jeff's WeatherXML maps for viewing on the Homeseer Touchscreens.

Newest NOAA GOES 16 satellite does lightning these days.

Here graph the Hobby boards lightning numbers (which have worked well now for over 10 years), use the lightning org php to generate local gifs for touchscreens.
                Last edited by Pete; April 10, 2018, 07:15 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete

Do you still use this one at all?

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...54#post1313654
                  Cheers,
                  Bob
                  Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Yes.

I have a web page configured off the HS3 boxes for the device which has never been shut off but sits on my home office desk.

Here is what I did for the HB's lightning sensor. Used the graphs on my cell phone when golfing.

The web interface shows lightning strikes and distance which can be written to a DB and you can utilize it for Homeseer.

[ATTACH]68085[/ATTACH]

The graphs and numbers go up to the thousands sometimes in just a few seconds with a fast approaching storm.

[ATTACH]68086[/ATTACH]
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                    X