This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the quality of Insteon these days compared to other x10 options

Sorry if this might have been covered at one time, but I'm upgrading some of my old x10 switches (you know the one, $8) and expanding the installation of new switches.

I've got some Levitons, and some other x10 compatibles that have been very reliable. I just wondered if the quality of the Insteon switches is fairly reliable.

I was planning on putting in about 20 of them, but the first one, a dimmer, has already fried out in just over a week which leaves me a bit concerned.

So..., how are the Switchlinks guys??

Out of the 30-40 devices i have, i only had to send back a few KPLs in the beginning. I think between the variety of devices, the cost and reliabilty, Insteon is a pretty good deal.

Can you tell us about the switch that 'fried'? did it just stop working, start acting strange, or did it die from a power spike?

Also, have you read on the smarthome forum about the reliability question. those guys over there are pretty tough on the issue.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I lost a few, but I have very frequent power surges (couple per week), so I really can't complain! I have 8 dimmers, some keypadLincs, countless plug-in modules, motion sensors, door/window switches, ControLincs, RemoteLincs, etc. and am very happy with them. I also love that they are very customizable (LED colors, switch colors, engraving, etc). The new plugin modules that send/receive wireless commands in addition to power line commands are very nice too!

I also purchased an ISY controller. That thing makes creating scenes and programs very simple, and it's easy to see what is linked to what. You can also very easily set the ramp rates & on levels in the ISY.

Comment

I installed the switch, a 600 watt dimmer. It worked fine for a week, then one day it wouldn't respond to x10 commands. I tried reprogramming it, setting it back to factory defaults, but it would not accept an address or respond except when pushing the switch.

Another smartlink switch was in the same box (on/off type) and it continues to function well. I called tech support and they concluded something fried it (probably power surges here in Florida).

Thanks for the responses; might have to look into a whole house surge protector too, I guess.

Comment

I converted 80% of my HA devices to INSTEON 3 years back (pushing on 4...). The rest are still X-10. That's a total of roughly 20 INSTEON, relay switches, dimmers, keypad dimmers, filterlincs and appliance modules altogether.

Except for one switch that has failed: a 2876 model, if I'm not mistaken. the rest of the installation has been rock solid. The switch is still usable nevertheless coz it's only the toggle to turn it OFF that doesn't work. It still responds to INSTEON or X-10 commands and can be used to turn the lights on manually. Since it is part of a three way circuit for a staircase light, I didn't feel the need to replace it.

I will probably finish the installation and finish the conversion to 100% INSTEON later this year.

Comment

Working...
          X