Touchscreen recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchscreen recommendations

I'm investigating using Homeseer for my HA project, and one thing I'm trying to understand is the UI controls used on touch screens that are mounted in walls. I understand that HStouch builds a UI interface for iPad, iPhone and android, but what if I want some touch screens made by a company like Crestron? How do I design those interfaces, what screens should I consider, and how well do they work?

My plan is to use my iPhone and iPad to control things, but having a couple built in screens is going to be inevitable, and I'm not sure where to start. Any recommendations for me would be appreciated!

Oh, one other thing, it is likely that I'm going to need wireless touch screens. I will be able to get power to them, but not cat5e in most situations...

Thanks!

HSTouch runs on PC's as well so if the Crestron screen is PC based then it will work. Most users seem to be settling on the first gen iPads as there wall mounted screens.
    Last edited by Rupp; May 13, 2011, 08:58 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Why are you thinking about Crestron touch screens? Aren't these very expenseive? What advantages do these provide over a PC, Android tablet or iPad tablet? Just curious?
      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
      Web Site
      YouTube Channel

Comment

I wasn't specifically considering Crestron, it was just as an example. I guess the question I should have asked is what touch screens are people using, other than ipads? Are people really putting full touchscreen PCs into wall mounted units? Seems a bit overkill to me....

Comment

I think the majority of people are using the windows clients with windows PC's, things like the touchscreen all in one PC's. Not sure how many people are using them mounted in the wall, theres also a screen that HS itself sells that is wall mounted. I use a desktop modified OpenPeak device running linux, buts its not sold anymore.

Comment

From what I've seen, Homeseer doesn't sell any touch screens itself, only plug-INS for android and iPhone/pad and the designer. I would imagine that those are almost less expensive than a purpose-built touch screen, but I kind of want a purpose-built look.

Comment

they used to sell a 7" in wall touchscreen, its not in the store from what I can see - not sure whats happened to it

Comment

I think that most of the wall mounts that I have seen have been PCs, but I recall seeing some screens on folks talking about wall mounts for iPads. I don't recall how the power was run these, but search the forum for that, maybe you will get some ideas. There are also some nice inexpensive options for 10" Android tables. That is what I use -- Have three of them. I don't wall mount -- I use docks on the tabletop. You would probably have better luck with a wall mount for iPad however.
                - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                Web Site
                YouTube Channel

Comment

Hi Tom,

which Android tablets are you using, there are so many of them out there. and I get overwhelmed when I start to think do I want android 2.1 or 2.2 then the speed of the processor and blah blah blah...

any guidance would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrett View Post
                    Hi Tom,

which Android tablets are you using, there are so many of them out there. and I get overwhelmed when I start to think do I want android 2.1 or 2.2 then the speed of the processor and blah blah blah...

any guidance would be appreciated.
                    See this post for a bit of info on the hardware Tom is running. The newer the better when it comes to Android versions.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=145583
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

One thing is that if I go with an Android tablet and use HSTouch, how much of a lag will there be when I power up the tablet from sleep mode in order for it to connect to my wifi network? I want to find a solution that has a "never off" mode, so that reaction is instantaneous....

Any recommendations or solutions?

Comment

It depends what you mean by off. There is off and then there is sleep. If you actually shut it down, it will take a little while to boot -- Maybe 30 seconds. If you put it to sleep mode, it will wake up immediately. However, it will consume some power while in sleep mode. I have mine in table top docking stations and leave the up all the time. There are settings, at least on mine, to leave wifi running while it sleep mode so it doesn't need to reconnect either.
                        - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                        Web Site
                        YouTube Channel

Comment

I think I found a Viewsonic that a friend has that won't disconnect to wifi. Now just a way to mount it nicely on the wall!

Comment

Hmm, a great use for the $350 refurbished iPad on the apple.com store. I may have to pick one up for a controller. Great idea!

Comment

I use a Galaxy Tab 7" mounted to the wall with this mount to power it. I don't have the arm on it (it is detachable).

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy.../dp/B004EVNHZG

It looks pretty good except the square box on the right where the power is connected, but it's better than a cord hanging. I can also snap it out if I want to use it as a remote device.

Comment

Working...
                              X