No announcement yet.

Booting RPi from USB instead of the MicroSD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the one thing I either never read or forgot that the current build used a custom version of Mono.

The current beta has been going for a while, although I have a feeling it's getting close to release, so I could end up waiting for the new image release.

BTW, which version of Stretch is recommended, Full or Lite? I was going to load Lite as I've been using ssh when working on the Pis so really didn't see a need for Full. However, as long as Full doesn't slow anything down or use more ram, using 16GB SDs so that's not an issue, having the ability to pull up the GUI through VNC could be useful.

Side note, I was surprised to see MicroCenter MicroSD cards on the official MicroSD list. I've been using Kingston Class 10 cards and never thought about MC cards.

I was cleaning up and found a couple of my old Motorola cell phones that used SanDisk MicroSDHC cards however it looks like they are Class 2 cards. I don't know if they will work at all or just write slower than the Class 4 cards. I'll give one of them a try and see how they work. Nothing really to loose and two cards to gain, at least for basic testing, if they work.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

That's the one thing I either never read or forgot that the current build used a custom version of Mono.

No it uses a standard "built" from scratch release of Mono (make install et al)...

IE the magic of make install is three pieces in Linux..
      1. Configure the software - just a script
      2. Build the software - running a C compiler reading source C code. (GCC -The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) is a compiler system produced by the GNU Project supporting various programming languages. GCC is a key component of the GNU toolchain and the standard compiler for most Unix-like Operating Systems. The Free Software Foundation (FSF) distributes GCC under the GNU General ...) - Kind of like using Visual basic to make a plugin for Homeseer.
      3. Install the software - moving the executables to their proper directories.

or

versus an already built version of Mono for whatever flavor of Linux you utilize.

That is what makes it difficult to remove. If you utilize a build from the Mono sources repository then its easy peasy to remove.

A static version of Mono would be like stating the Homeseer 3 only runs on Windows 10 or only on RPi Wheezy or Linux Ubuntu 12.04.

which version of Stretch is recommended, Full or Lite?

Lite.

There is one HS3 user (Concordseer) today that I know if that is running current beta HS3 V.398 and current release of Mono with no issues that I have seen.

A GUI is not required or necessary to utilize Homeseer 3 and really doesn't provide eye candy any how. VNC worked and was used for Homeseer 2 on Windows. There is still a little piece of a desktop running on the Windows version of Homeseer and really it just provide an option to update, load the web gui and shut down which really isn't much. In Linux there is no desktop icon unless you make one and you will not see anything anyhow unless you are in a local terminal session.

Here standardized on the 16Gb microSD cards form 8Gb microSD cards. Homeseer doesn't utilize much space anyhow. It's more relating to imaging of the microSD card. that said if compress the image you will mostly likely see a less than 4Gb compressed image of the card. Any microSD card will work. Newer generation are faster.

BTW the original Zee and current Zee2 are static rather than dynamic images (or so used) configured in an appliance like manner.

Linux is linux (just like windows is windows) such I tested original Zee HS3 on all of my flavors of Linux here and it worked just fine.

Here have always updated my Wheezy, Jessie or Stretch builds on the RPi.

Easy to log in and check and update via SSH or using Webmin front page shows updates and a link to updating.
      Last edited by Pete; January 14, 2018, 04:03 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

Lots of good information to digest.

BTW, have you ever used PiBakery? Seems like a good tool, especially on the Pi Zero, to do the initial setup if not followup changes to lots of the basic configuration. I'm going to give it a try.

Now lets have some fun.
        Last edited by Timon; January 15, 2018, 12:40 PM.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

have you ever used PiBakery?

No it looks interesting.

These days use Ubuntu to write base image on RPi SD card. From there and booting do things long math way....IE:apt-get install....via SSH.

Laptop Ubuntu file explorer lets me log in to RPi via root such that I edit and move files around.

IE: when updating HS3 I shut down HS3, copy HomeSeer directory, update HS3 and reboot or restart HS3.

Pushing RPi2 in attic with...ZWave, 1-Wire hub, SDR radio, apache2, php and Domoticz.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

It's been a few years ago here that I configured a Seagate Dockstar to boot using a USB stick. Worked fine for a while. Used one of two USB sticks for a nightly backup.

It did only last about 6 months. Then I went to using first generation USB to SSD sticks. They were much larger and more expensive than a regular USB stick. For said project went to a USB to a 16GB SSD card and an 8 GB USB stick. It's run like this now for over 5 years with no issues. The original USB SSD sticks were around $30 each at the time. (Kingspec). An internally mounted USB-SSD stick would probably work except that you cannot find these anymore.

Fast forward to the RPI...here going to the Arm based Rock64 (RPi sized) which will utilize a 16Gb eMMC for booting rather than the microSD card. Currently running here with the Pine64 2Gb computer and it's been doing fine for over a year booting from a microSD card.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
              X