FYI - SqueezeBox, Google Home, Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI - SqueezeBox, Google Home, Speech

Recently I ran into a issue with getting speech to work using the Squeeze Box Plugin through LMS to Google Home. I am writing this in case anyone else runs into this issue.

1. My Windows based LMS (v7.9.0) is configured with the Chromecast bridge (v0.2.7.3). I am also using the ShareTunes plug in (v0.60.2) to play Airplay sources to Google Home.
    2. I ran into issues with inconsistent speech playing on the google home from Homeseer. Sometimes manually triggering an event would play the TTS and sometimes it wouldn't. I followed several of the articles including tracking down the MP3 files in the html directory. When I went to the lms media server website I could see the mp3 file come across on the player I was sending speech to through homeseer - however it wouldn't play.
    3. My HomeSeer Squeezebox Speak Proxy for the plugin is configured as Enabled Speak Proxy checked, Primary Speak Proxy checked, Speak Proxy mode Normal, TTS as MP3 checked, No lame options, 1000ms duration, 2 seconds before and 1 second after.
    4. I found that the Google Home players had to be configured in LMS Settings>Player>[Audio] dropdown>Streaming Method set to "Proxied Streaming" instead of the default "Direct Streaming". Making this change fixed the issue - now every time I manually trigger an event the google home plays the speech.
    5. Interestingly, if I am playing music from Apple Music on my iPhone to Google Home through LMS and I have HomeSeer speak something the music will pick up where it was after speaking - which is ideal. However, if I am playing iTunes through LMS to GoogleHome and have HomeSeer speak then the song starts over. If anyone figures out a fix for that one - please let me know.

Thanks for the tip. I never played with speech long enough to get it to work properly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Theron View Post
      Recently I ran into a issue with getting speech to work using the Squeeze Box Plugin through LMS to Google Home. I am writing this in case anyone else runs into this issue.

1. My Windows based LMS (v7.9.0) is configured with the Chromecast bridge (v0.2.7.3). I am also using the ShareTunes plug in (v0.60.2) to play Airplay sources to Google Home.
      2. I ran into issues with inconsistent speech playing on the google home from Homeseer. Sometimes manually triggering an event would play the TTS and sometimes it wouldn't. I followed several of the articles including tracking down the MP3 files in the html directory. When I went to the lms media server website I could see the mp3 file come across on the player I was sending speech to through homeseer - however it wouldn't play.
      3. My HomeSeer Squeezebox Speak Proxy for the plugin is configured as Enabled Speak Proxy checked, Primary Speak Proxy checked, Speak Proxy mode Normal, TTS as MP3 checked, No lame options, 1000ms duration, 2 seconds before and 1 second after.
      4. I found that the Google Home players had to be configured in LMS Settings>Player>[Audio] dropdown>Streaming Method set to "Proxied Streaming" instead of the default "Direct Streaming". Making this change fixed the issue - now every time I manually trigger an event the google home plays the speech.
      5. Interestingly, if I am playing music from Apple Music on my iPhone to Google Home through LMS and I have HomeSeer speak something the music will pick up where it was after speaking - which is ideal. However, if I am playing iTunes through LMS to GoogleHome and have HomeSeer speak then the song starts over. If anyone figures out a fix for that one - please let me know.
      Hi,
      Can I ask where you can get LMS 7.9.0 from? I am on 7.7.5 which seems to be the latest download from mysqueezebox. I'd be interested to know so I can see what differences there are and if it's worth upgrading.

Many thanks,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by JimBob View Post
        Hi,
        Can I ask where you can get LMS 7.9.0 from? I am on 7.7.5 which seems to be the latest download from mysqueezebox. I'd be interested to know so I can see what differences there are and if it's worth upgrading.

Many thanks,
        John
        You can download it from http://downloads.slimdevices.com. It's in the LogitechMediaServer v7.9.0 folder. If you are using windows then when I installed it I used the LogitechMediaServer-7.9.0.exe download. Also, when I was researching how to use the chromecast and ShairTunes2 plugins it wanted the updated versions. The mysqueezebox download is the highest version that Logitech was responsible for.

Comment

Originally posted by Theron View Post
          You can download it from http://downloads.slimdevices.com. It's in the LogitechMediaServer v7.9.0 folder. If you are using windows then when I installed it I used the LogitechMediaServer-7.9.0.exe download. Also, when I was researching how to use the chromecast and ShairTunes2 plugins it wanted the updated versions. The mysqueezebox download is the highest version that Logitech was responsible for.
          That's great, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X