Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

For those just enabling 2-stage authentication, it would appear that "2-step" is not available as an option any longer and its now "2-factor" or nothing. I assume all users will pe pushed onto 2-factor in the not too distant future but not sure what will happen to those users who have 2-step already in place.

The system of verification is different with 2FA so will require some UI changes in the plug-in along with quite a lot of behind the scenes code changes. I don't really want to put in all the work to support both systems only to find that in a couple of months it was a waste of time and by the same token I also don't want to pi** off existing users with 2-SA in place.

If folks are happy to switch to 2-FA then I'll make the necessary changes.

Paul..

Comment

I would say make the change. For those using 2 step, they can stay on the current version. As soon as you support it, I will switch to 2FA.

Comment

HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
            According to the news, once you upgrade to iOS11 all users will be automatically switched to 2FA. So unless you choose not to upgrade or have an older device that’s not compatible with iOS11 it looks like you will have it enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I’m still on 2-step with iOS11 on a 7 plus. The reports were that users would be asked to convert to 2FA, but I have not had to yet. From a couple of articles: “It’s not totally clear whether two-factor authentication will be required for all users who update to iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra — or whether it’s only necessary for those who already use two-step authentication”. Since I don’t want to lose PHLocation, I’m holding my breath and not changing anything.

Comment

Apple Now Continuously Asking for Permission

You can disable 2FA:

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Account Details.

2. Click Security.

3. Click Turn On Two-Factor Authentication.

Comment

As it seems likely that most users will eventually be using the 2-factor (as opposed to 2-step) method, I have now made the changes to the plug-in which are currently being tested.

The plug-in will continue to support already configured iCloud accounts which use "2-step" but you will not be able to add/verify a new "2-step" account. It will also continue to work with accounts that don't have either authentication method deployed.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
                  As it seems likely that most users will eventually be using the 2-factor (as opposed to 2-step) method, I have now made the changes to the plug-in which are currently being tested.

The plug-in will continue to support already configured iCloud accounts which use "2-step" but you will not be able to add/verify a new "2-step" account. It will also continue to work with accounts that don't have either authentication method deployed.

Paul..

Thanks ! Standing by...

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post

Paul..

Hey Paul,
                    This thread prompted me to look into which security method that I was using on my iPhone and ironically it is set to 2FA and not the 2SA. I have been using this iPhone on 2FA since it was released with the last couple of versions of the PHLocation plugin. Should PHLocation not be able to work with my phone set to 2FA?
                    The only error that I find in my log recently is the reverse geocode error but otherwise works fine. I have also updated to iOS11 on release date. Every time I restart HS or the PHLocation plugin my phone prompts me to allow access and then gives me the code to type in, I never need to type in the code, just click on OK and it starts working again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                    Plugin's:
                    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Hi sooty. Let me know if you need testers. I'm trying to enable iCloud on the plug-in but running into issues similar to here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=190912

I've disable 2FA, but would be willing to test the new functionality on my HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368 (Linux)

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                        Hey Paul,
                        This thread prompted me to look into which security method that I was using on my iPhone and ironically it is set to 2FA and not the 2SA. I have been using this iPhone on 2FA since it was released with the last couple of versions of the PHLocation plugin. Should PHLocation not be able to work with my phone set to 2FA?
                        The only error that I find in my log recently is the reverse geocode error but otherwise works fine. I have also updated to iOS11 on release date. Every time I restart HS or the PHLocation plugin my phone prompts me to allow access and then gives me the code to type in, I never need to type in the code, just click on OK and it starts working again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Without going into the fine details of it, IMO some of the Apple notifications are not worded properly.

The mechanism of receiving and verifying codes is different between the 2 authentication systems and also the data that the plug-in needs to store to prevent constant nag emails and / or notifications is different.

Why you get notifications when the plug-in is restarted is because in the current version it isn't persisting the right data between sessions for 2-FA.

WRT the reverse geocode error.
                        I have now implemented a retry mechanism so it will try up to 3 times to get a valid result before giving up and setting devices to "Unknown" or "Not Available" etc.
                        I'm also building in support for using other services for these kind of lookups but that will be in a later version.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by huguetpj View Post
                          Hi sooty. Let me know if you need testers. I'm trying to enable iCloud on the plug-in but running into issues similar to here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=190912

I've disable 2FA, but would be willing to test the new functionality on my HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368 (Linux)
                          The problem being discussed in that linked thread is a different issue and not related to 2-FA.

Do you currently have the plug-in running successfully with an iCloud account with all 2 stage authentication methods disabled?

Paul..

Comment

Comment

The current version will not work with the newest implementation of 2FA. Paul has implemented 2FA authentication to the newest plug-in version that is being tested. Going forward the plug-in will only support 2FA, since Apple is pushing us that way. I don't want to speak to Paul's timetable, but the 2FA version should be in public beta very soon. He is also making some changes away from ini files to a DB. This version is being tested and the bugs swatted. With the latest version being tested, it seems to be working very well.

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                                X