Z-Wave devices not completely working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave devices not completely working

I have been trying to convert my 100% X10 home automation to Z-Wave. Those of you that started out with X10 know the problems with reliability etc. So I bought a few Z-Wave devices to test the concept. My initial response is that while the Z-Wave network is more sophisticated, the reliability of the devices and the HS plug-in are not all that much better. That being said, I want to get the newer technology working but have run into problems with new devices.

I have one Aeon device that included in the network properly but returns errors when you try to configure it. I already posted about it here https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1300897.

Now I have Enerwave ZW500D that returns errors when including.

Apr-19 11:09:29 AM Z-Wave 2 out of 2 Child devices of node 7 were created successfully.
    Apr-19 11:08:56 AM Z-Wave Getting association information for Z-Wave Z-Wave Sigma Switch Multilevel
    Apr-19 11:08:40 AM Z-Wave Getting association information for node 7
    Apr-19 11:08:34 AM Z-Wave Warning Could not get the SWITCH command class version for node 7 .
    Apr-19 11:08:13 AM Z-Wave Node 7 is a Z-Wave Plus node. Retrieving ZWPlus Info...
    Apr-19 11:08:13 AM Z-Wave Warning Error getting version information for node 7, Send failed.
    Apr-19 11:08:02 AM Z-Wave Warning Node 7 supports the MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC command class but manufacturer information was not obtained. Cannot continue with this node.

Apr-19 11:07:57 AM Z-Wave Node: 7 Supports Class(es): ZWAVEPLUS_INFO, VERSION_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC_V2, DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY, POWERLEVEL, CONFIGURATION_V4, SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_V3, SWITCH_BINARY, ASSOCIATION_V2, ASSOCIATION_GRP_INFO_V2, SWITCH_ALL
    Apr-19 11:07:52 AM Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
    The first time I included the device, it reported that it was a Wenzhou MTLC Electric Appliances Co., Ltd. SWITCH MULTILEVEL. After excluding and re-including the device it reports Sigma Designs Z-Wave Sigma Switch Multilevel.

The switch responds to on, off & dim but cannot be configured from HS nor will it return information when polled. I have done the usual remove, add, restart, etc. many times with the same result.

My real frustration is that I cannot determine if this is a hardware problem or if the plugin is not properly including the device. Is there additional debugging that can be done to determine the issue? Additional incite would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wade

I don't have this particular device, but I've seen this behavior from other devices. I get failures, so I exclude and include again only to see different names and capabilities. IIRC, Sigma is the licensing end so inevitably every zwave device is somehow tied to Sigma.

What is it you're trying to configure? According to the instructions there are only two parameters and you should see a place to SET those on the zwave tab. If you don't, then I would contact HS support.

When I first got into zwave/homeseer I expected a certain amount of consistency in access to parameters and being able to take advantage of individual devices. However it appears that someone needs to write code for each individual device depending on its capabilities. OUCH! That will make it very frustrating for HS and for the end user (you and me).

Comment

Originally posted by Hedroom View Post
      Now I have Enerwave ZW500D that returns errors when including.

The first time I included the device, it reported that it was a Wenzhou MTLC Electric Appliances Co., Ltd. SWITCH MULTILEVEL. After excluding and re-including the device it reports Sigma Designs Z-Wave Sigma Switch Multilevel.

Thanks,

Wade
      First make sure you try the latest Z-Wave beta plugin as many changes have been made that should help with the inclusion. Second, anytime you see Sigma Designs Z-Wave Sigma this indicates that your Z-Wave controller didn't properly communicate with the device when adding it. You should be brings the device close to your controller while it is still connected to your HS3 server and use the add/remove node functionality from the Z-Wave plugin options. Try bringing the device close and do a rescan on the root node. If this doesn't work remove the device twice (2 times) and then attempt an add from within the Z-Wave plugin.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Success! Thank you Rupp...

I have to say that I had little hope that moving the device closer would make a difference because it was already within 7 or 8 feet. Also, the device is a wall switch. So, I took the switch out of the junction box, attached it to a temporary extension cord and moved it to within inches of the Z-Wave controller (a HomeSeer SmartStick+ attached to a desktop computer), did a rescan and the device reports properly. I will do the same with the other device I'm having trouble with and see if that helps.

By the way, I was already running the latest beta of the Z-Wave plugin.

Cheers,

Wade

Comment

Another thing you can do that will improve your network connectivity and distance is to put the smartstick+ on a 3-6 ft usb extension and get it up as high and as far away from the box computer and/or laptop as you can. Especially if it is under a desk, or a lower level of a home. I have noticed an improvement by doing this.

Comment

Yes, I will be adding a USB extension to get the SmartStick away from the computer.

So, to continue the conversation, I did the same thing with my Enerwave Switch Binary ZWN-RSM1-Plus. This device's manual states that the instant reporting can be configured via parameters but the plugin does not show the "Set Configuration Parameters" screen. Any Ideas?

Cheers,

Wade

Comment

Not quite successful

I checked the Enerwave ZW500D switch a few days ago and it was back to it's old ways. I did add a 3ft. USB extension to the smartstick+ and moved it away from the computer and other electronics but I continue to get the following error when I rescan:
              Apr-24 6:23:26 PM Z-Wave 2 out of 2 Child devices of node 13 were created successfully.
              Apr-24 6:23:20 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for Z-Wave Z-Wave Wenzhou MTLC Switch Multilevel
              Apr-24 6:22:29 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 1 to Z-Wave Z-Wave Wenzhou MTLC Switch Multilevel
              Apr-24 6:22:23 PM Z-Wave Z1: Adding association for Z-Wave device Z-Wave Z-Wave Wenzhou MTLC Switch Multilevel (Node 13, Group 1) to HomeSeer
              Apr-24 6:22:18 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for Z-Wave Z-Wave Wenzhou MTLC Switch Multilevel
              Apr-24 6:22:07 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for node 13
              Apr-24 6:21:56 PM Z-Wave Node 13 is a Z-Wave Plus node. Retrieving ZWPlus Info...
              Apr-24 6:21:56 PM Z-Wave Node 13 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 4.24 App: 5.10
              Apr-24 6:21:56 PM Z-Wave Warning Error getting version information for node 13, Send failed.
              Apr-24 6:21:51 PM Z-Wave Node: 13 Supports Class(es): ZWAVEPLUS_INFO, VERSION_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC_V2, DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY, POWERLEVEL, CONFIGURATION_V4, SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_V3, SWITCH_BINARY, ASSOCIATION_V2, ASSOCIATION_GRP_INFO_V2, SWITCH_ALL
              Apr-24 6:21:51 PM Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
              Apr-24 6:21:51 PM Z-Wave Found 13 Z-Wave nodes
              Apr-24 6:21:51 PM Z-Wave Getting Z-Wave node list for network xxxxxxxx...
              I can take the device out of the wall again but that's damn inconvenient.

When I search on this error, it does seem to show up a lot on the message board without any fixes (except moving the device right next to the controller). More suggestions...?

Also, as I was going through the Node information, I noticed that the SmartStick+ (Node 1) shows a Manufacturer as Sigma Designs (see attached) is this a communications problem also?

Wade
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Hedroom; April 24, 2017, 06:14 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Working...
              X