Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-wave devices stopped working yesturday, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For this to have happened in the first place, something bad is going on with the Z-Stick apparently. This should not happen unless there is some corruption during replication, or if the interface was Erased, or if you did a restore after editing one of the .ZWave files. Those are the only times that the HomeID can be changed, AND that is only possible if your Z-Stick has the installer library, and most of them do not (Aeon created an installer library version, but it did not appear correct to us originally, so they never released it - it does work though.)

So here are the problems - so many things have happened since the original mishap that it is unlikely that it can be recovered such that you do not lose anything - events that reference Z-Wave devices will certainly have to be re-created or edited.

The first thing to do is to figure out which HomeID is the right one, and if the controller is not coming up when initialized with the right HomeID, why is that happening. HomeIDs as I mentioned earlier do not change on their own. The devices in your home should not be affected, so the good news is that if we can get your controller back to being the HomeID that it once was, you will be all set.

I recommend restarting/resetting the interface, if you have not already done that. Do not erase it, but use the controller management page to restart it. Then, shut down HS3 or the plug-in, and restart that, and see how the controller comes up and which HomeID that it has.

If the plug-in finds HomeSeer devices that do not have corresponding information in the Z-Wave database, it will try to read information from the HomeSeer device to re-create the information in the Z-Wave database. If this is successful, then you only have to do a rescan to help the Z-Wave database get populated with some of the other device details not stored in the HomeSeer devices. Conversely, if there is information in the controller about nodes that do not have corresponding HomeSeer devices, then an Import will re-create those.

So once the controller is straightened out, the rest can be fixed. We just need to know for certain which HomeID is the one that all of your devices have. It will be good to also know what type of controller library you have so we know what options exist for fixing things. If there was TEMPORARY corruption and the plug-in got a bad reading for the HomeID, that is how you will have another HomeID appearing in the networks list. We can remove the invalid network later. So after you restart the interface and restart HS3/plug-in, go to the controller management page, and under your controller interface, expand the controller node information and provide that info to me either in email or here, and that will help sort things out too.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Ok, so I went to the PLUG-INS->Z-Wave->Controller Management and opened my Z-Wave interface drop down thing (Name: Z-Wave Interface).

I executed the action "Restart All Interfaces connected to HomeSeer" (clicked start, then after a while clicked close). Closed the browser window. Closed HS3. Restarted HS3.

This is what I found uynder "Controller Node Information"
      Home ID: 0061EB21 (Valid) Node: 1 INIT Status Mode Lib Version Lib Type ok On Another Network Z-Wave 2.78 Static Controller API Version Capabilities Z-Wave IC Transmit Queue 5 SIS, Other Network ZW0301 0 Nodes in the Controller 1, 4, 5, 8, 12, 14, 19, 24, 25, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33 Counters Since Startup Request Frames Response Frames App Frames Waiting 0 19 0

So it is as I thought the 0061EB21 that is the correct network then? And the 0161EB21 I also have that for some reason was read wrong at some time. Just one 0 that turned to a 1. All the root devices is connected to this 0161EB21 network, all the childs to 0061EB21.

I earlier tried to do "Remove Network" under the controller management tab of the 0161EB21network, its the one of the two networks that has a button next to it that sais "Renove Network". It did not work, it sais it has connections to it or something like that, dontw remember exactly since this was a few days ago.

So, how do I proceed?

Comment

And which Z-Wave plugin should I continue with? .150 that I went back to or the BETA .168?

Comment

OK, assuming that the interface is on the correct HomeID as what all of the devices have, then correcting this should just be doing an Import from the controller management page so that it fixes and/or rebuilds whatever devices are necessary. Any device that shows a HomeID that is the wrong one AFTER the import can be deleted. The devices fixed/re-created after the import that show the proper HomeID should be able to be controlled.

How did you start this network in the first place? I ask because your controller's HomeID was set by transferring from another controller, which is why it says "On Other Network". Did you have a different controller (perhaps handheld) originally? If the interface controller got into a bad state, then perhaps the 01 HomeID (the bad one) is its true HomeID - the one it would revert to if it were erased (fully reset).

At any rate, let's hope it does not happen again because without the installer library, there is very little that can be done to bring it back from the dead if it happens to jump HomeIDs again.
          Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Agwan View Post
            And which Z-Wave plugin should I continue with? .150 that I went back to or the BETA .168?
            .150 should be fine - I have not put much into that version as Rich has, but one thing Rich did was to speed up transmission of Z-Wave signals. Whether that change has anything to do with what happened I do not know (but I doubt it) but you do not want to risk anything right now by trying a beta version no matter how stable it may appear. Get your network back in working order, make sure it stays that way for a while, and then consider trying a beta release again by which time we should have discovered if anybody else has an issue with that version. I have not even updated the version in my own house (production) environment yet because I have been busy with other things, but I planned on doing that today, so I will get some experience first-hand.
            Regards,

Comment

I dont think I had another controller (I have a hand held keypad, but I just tried to add it to HS after a while with no success). Perhaps I used the Z-stick include button first? Or I might have done a setup first where I then removed all nodes, reinstalled HS3 and though I was starting over fresh. I might then have moved from using the Z-stick include button to using the homeseer command instead.

So, doing "Import Node Info from Controller and Scan Devices":

Operational messages will appear here...
              Loading network information from your Z-Wave interface...
              Done.
              Synchronizing network information against HomeSeer devices...
              Getting Z-Wave node list for network 0061EB21...
              Found 14 Z-Wave nodes
              Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 1 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 4 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 5 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 8 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 12 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 14 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 19 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 24 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 25 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 28 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 29 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 31 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 32 done.
              ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 33 done.
              Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 14
              Device synchronization does not need to create any new devices.
              Device synchronization needs to create 13 devices.
              Device synchronization needs to get Z-Wave class information for 13 nodes.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 4, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 5, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 8, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 12, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 14, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 19, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 24, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 25, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 28, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 29, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 31, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 32, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Warning: Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 33, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.
              Finished with Z-Wave device synchronization.

I then restarted the interface and then HS3 but still looks like crap. It seems most of my nodes are connected to 0161EB21. So Im starting to think that might be the correct network.

I have a Fibaro Wallplug connected to my radon pump. I can see the root and the five childs it has. They are all connected to my 0161EB21 network but HS does not want to group them together. The root is in one "blob" in the Device List and the childs are grouped into one "blob".

If it sais anything, the address of the root is "0161EB21-032" and the childs has names like "0161EB21-032-Q5", "0161EB21-032-Q101" and "0161EB21-032-Q103". They all have the old Device Names I gave them long ago.

Clicking the root I can see that the Notes that I added to it long ago is still there, so this should not be a newly generated root device.

In the Z-Wave tab I get two errors:
              Under Options for Node 0 I get:
              Error: Failed to get the node list for network 0161EB21. Node Number options cannot be displayed.
              Under Functions for Node 0 I get:

Just that it is called Node 0 is wrong. It should be node 32 I guess, extracted from the address.

Clicking one of the root nodes does not show any Notes. But I only placed a node on the roots, the root does not share the notes to its childs I guess.

I see now that the information is the same under Z-Wave tab.

All devices connected to this network have node number 0 I see now. Network 0161EB21.

The devices connected to 0061EB21, the one the controller thinks is the correct network, I have the option to set the node number for. They have No Node ID to start with, but I can link them to thier respective node ID. If I do that, and then rescan them and test connectivity, it fails.

Here is the information from my Node 31 root, the radon pump wall plug:
              Information About Node 0
              Network and Node ID 0161EB21, 0 Manufacturer Fibaro System (ID=0x10F) Product Type 0x600 Product ID 0x1000 Node Type 0 Supports Status Yes Node Version Lib: 3.52 App: 22.22 Associated DeviceCmd Class: Meter
              Cmd Class Version: 2 Associated DeviceCmd Class: Meter
              Cmd Class Version: 2 Associated DeviceCmd Class: Notification
              Cmd Class Version: 1 Associated DeviceCmd Class: Sensor Alarm Associated DeviceCmd Class: Sensor Multilevel
              Cmd Class Version: 2 Associated DeviceCmd Class: Switch Binary
              Cmd Class Version: 1
              Options for Node 0 Error: Failed to get the node list for network 0161EB21. Node Number options cannot be displayed. Functions for Node 0
              And here the Node information from one of the childs:
              Information About Node 0
              Network and Node ID 0161EB21, 0 Manufacturer Fibaro System (ID=0x10F) Product Type 0x600 Product ID 0x1000 Node Type 0 Supports Status Yes Node Version Lib: 3.52 App: 22.22 Associated DeviceCommand Class Switch Binary Command Class Version 1

Options for Node 0 Error: Failed to get the node list for network 0161EB21. Node Number options cannot be displayed. Functions for Node 0

Edit: Sorry about this beeing messy. Try to find one piece we can work on. I would say that the correct network should be 0161EB21 and that the nodes are all 0.

Comment

So my Z-stick wants to be on network 0061EB21 but it should be on network 0161EB21. Is there a way to get the Z-stick to be on 0161EB21 instead, or can I move all the devices in homeseer that are on 0161EB21 to 0061EB21?

Im guessing I need to edit the "\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave.db" and change all 0161EB21 to 0061EB21 in that file. But editing in wordpad does not work. Any suggestions?

Comment

I cant seem to edit the .db file either. SQLite Browser to edit all the addresses so that it would point to the active network. But the file seems to be corrected when I restart HS3.

Comment

My home automation system has been down for 18 days now. Is there any more support I can get? Is there any answers to the questions I have above?

I can set up remote control if thet would help.

Comment

Sure wish I could help you on this. It has to be frustrating. Unless someone else chimes in, you might be looking at a complete rebuild of your network *and* HS installation
                      This would involve erasing/wiping the controller and re-adding all nodes.
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Sorry for the delay, but that is why we have the priority support forum - we don't get to the message board every day.

No, your Z-Stick does not have the installer library code so it cannot be put on the other network. If it had the installer library or were one of the interfaces with the installer library, we could have fixed that, but CLEARLY the fix would not be enough as there apparently deeper problems - I am beginning to wonder if the Z-Stick has had a failure?

When it fails to get the information for all of those nodes on import, it reminds me of the early days of the Z-Wave plug-in, but you are on something much more recent so there is no reason that should be happening.

As for the root/child issues, the root is encoded with the HomeID, so as long as you have the funky dual network thing going on, the plug-in will continue to create new seemingly duplicate root and children devices because the HomeID is different.

I agree that it is time to give up and start over. I would erase the controller and start adding a couple of devices, and see how it goes - if the controller has gone bad, then perhaps you can catch it and get another before you get too far into the rebuild of the network.

I have gotten into some VERY strange situations over the 10+ years of playing with Z-Wave, but I have never seen anything like this where half of the devices stop responding and appear to be on another (split) network.

Erase the controller, delete all of the ZW devices, and start over a little at a time - it is not only what is most likely to be the only way to get things going again, but biting the bullet and doing it is also likely to be the fastest way to get going again.
                        Regards,

Comment

Damn, that hurts. I got a lot of battery powered devices placed in hard to reach spaces. But if its the truth I need to hear it.

Is the best way to add the devices again after factory reset to use the stick include button and then import to HS or include from HS directly? The dimmers are hard to add using HS since I need to run around the house clicking thier include buttons.

Comment

Battery devices ARE the worst - some stay awake for 10 seconds as required, some for only a couple of seconds. I am in the process of changing the configuration settings page to give up on trying to do things interactively and go completely to using the wake-up signals sent by the device.

I would do it this way:
                            1. Add all of your powered, always listening devices by using the stick, then do an import in HS3. Optimize the nodes around nodes that fail to communicate, and do a rescan until the device is successfully created in HS3.
                            2. Remove any battery devices that are easy to remove and add them to HS3 by bringing them to the stick and adding them under HS3 control. Then, while they are awake, configure all of the settings how you want them. Set the devices near where they belong but do not re-install them yet.
                            3. For battery devices that cannot be removed, get them added using whichever way is better - using the Z-Stick because you cannot get back to HS3 fast enough before it goes back to sleep, or with HS3 if you can start the include process and hit the button on the device within 2 minutes AND the device's signal can reach HS3 without routing.
                            4. For door locks - no choice - you must add them under HS3 control because of the timing of the security command class.

THEN

Battery devices do not participate in routing, but to establish a route to the controller, they still need to know about the nodes around them, so they must be awakened to be optimized now that all of the nodes around them are installed. This is why you were not to re-install the other battery devices but put them back near where they are installed. Now wake them up and optimize them - do the Optimize a couple of times, make sure that your associations as needed are set up, then do the full optimize. After that, mount them where they belong.

In previous versions of the ZW plug-in I made it possible for more of the settings to be able to be put in the 'mailbox' to be sent when the device wakes up, so hopefully that will work for getting battery devices configured when they are the type that do not stay awake very long.

Now optimize the other nodes a couple of times, make sure that all of their associations are set, and then do a full optimization.

It is a full day's project for sure - wish I had better news.

With a network made up of all newer devices and with the support for the newer controllers we are adding to the Z-Wave plug-in, this will all be a thing of the past because network wide inclusion and the explorer frame and SIS controllers will all work together to make it nearly effortless.
                            Regards,

Comment

I have had to do this more than a few times this year. With only 24 devices (3 are battery) it only took a few hours. It takes longer to redo all of the events etc

I have 9 CA9000 motion detectors installed but not included in my HS System because they did not work (since been fixed I believe by Rich in the past month). I also have 33 new Zwave outlets and Switches to install but I am afraid to as things are not stable yet in HS land.

I have found I had to optimize several times and then scan, rescan and rescan again as I added devices back. Its a PIA but it works so don't panic if you see you have to do that as I believe others have seen it as well.

Comment

I did a "ERASE this Interface and Create a new Network" for the Z-stick, is that enough? I did also erase all Z-Wave connected roots and childs.

I then did a factory reset of one of the devices and added it using the Z-Wave stick. I have now only node 1 and 2 on the network where the stick is node 1. First thing happening is that i get an error from node 7.

Code:
                                2014-08-15 20:03:51 ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~Node Change Event for Node 7 on Network 0061EB21, CC=COMMAND_CLASS_METER_V2 but no valid devices were found. (32-02-A1-6C-00-00-00-E9-00-00-00-9B-D6-38-87)
                                Should that be happening? It seems this new interface has the same network name as my old did. Just so that I know if I should start building on this or restart some other way.

Controller Node Information is:
                                Home ID: 0061EB21 (Valid) Node: 1 INIT Status Mode Lib Version Lib Type ok Real Primary Z-Wave 2.78 Static Controller API Version Capabilities Z-Wave IC Transmit Queue 5 Real Primary, SIS ZW0301 0 Nodes in the Controller 1, 2

Thanks for the extra input Digger1.

Comment

Working...
                                X