Z-wave function stops with failed sending z-wave command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave function stops with failed sending z-wave command

The problem is that I keep getting "failed sending z-wave command" and "initializing Z-wave interface" errors on a regular basis and Z-wave functionality stops. The system works for about 2 hours before Z-wave functionality of Homeseer stops working.

The computer is a dedicated machine being used to control a lab environment. It is used for no other tasks besides Homeseer. The computer is not connected to the Internet. The only installed software is Homeseer 2.0.2041.0, Acrobat 7 Reader, and OpenOffice 2.0. The computer is about 11 feet from first Z-wave node. There are 11 Z-wave nodes. CPU utilization is about 2% when running. Memory usage is 185 MB out of 256 MB.

The hardware specs are:

HomeSeer Z-Wave USB Interface ZU0100-001 serial number 838577

D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub model DUB-H4 with AC adapter

Asus Pundit-PE3 with a 2.66 GHz Celeron

248 MB RAM

The software specs are:

Homeseer 2.0.2041.0

Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 with all patches as of January 21, 2006

HomeSeer Z-Wave USB Interface ZU0100-001 Driver 1.05.04

HomeSeer Z-Wave USB Interface ZU0100-001 Driver 1.06.20

Error Messages:
    "Failed sending z-wave command"

"Error initializing z-wave interface on USB. Unable to find interface, no response from controller."

Homeseer has the problem when either run as a service or an application. The problem happens using either USB Driver 1.05.04 or 1.06.20.

What is causing this? The system has become unusable. I need it operational by January 25, 2006 for the next round of critical experiments. I was the one who chose this system and the expense and time that has gone into getting it up and running could cost me my job.
    Last edited by ; January 24, 2006, 02:12 PM.

SeattleGirl,

I would try a exturnel powered USb Hub and see if that helps.
    a lot of users have had problems with the usb controller using mother board usb ports. try one and see if that helps

Ha
    I need to read more closely, your already using one.
    Get reid of the USB and get a serial controller.

Mike
    Last edited by zap; January 22, 2006, 02:51 AM.
    -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
    Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
    HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
    W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
    Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
    Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

I have had my share of problems with the usb interface. But, I have never had a "failed to send command" error. My "guess" is that you have a bad interface which has happened before.

Does the native Z-Wave remote control the Z-Wave modules?

If so I would RMA the interface back to Homeseer or at least open a help desk ticket with Homeseer.

Or, since you need this fast & this is so critical I would overnight a RS232 serial interface.

And, then open a helpdesk ticket with Homeseer.

Bob

Comment

A couple of things to try. Connect the USB Interface to the MB USB port and do not share the port with any other devices. Turn off poling to all devices that you do not care or need to poll. This polling seems to be the root of many of the problems. Make sure your USB root hub > Power management tab is set to not allow the computer to turn this device off...

Lastly visit the USBMan site. Asus and several other MB manufacturers USB hardware is sub par. I had a problem until I bought a new PCI 4 port USB card and I haven't had a single Z-Wave error in the log in over a year.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Another thing you might check since I notice that you are using build 2041 and only have 248 mb of ram in this machine, is to turn off the web server auto refresh set it to =0, to see what happens, you can still manualy fresh it.
          -Mike-

HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts

Comment

Desperate Measures

I have no other USB devices attached to the computer.

I will try today the power management suggestion when I get to the lab.

I will also try today to install the Adaptec AUA-2000 USB2connect Adapter.

I have 256 MB of RAM and the machine only uses 185 MB when in operation.

I have already submitted a Homeseer support request ticket <tt>6986.

</tt>Things are looking pretty grim, and I am getting even more depressed by what I am reading on the forums.<tt>
            </tt>

</pre>

Comment

The reason I suggested turning off the refresh rate is because there is a bug in builds starting with build 2041 and up this has to do problem with the refresh rate. You stated that it will run for about 2 hour before going haywire.
              This bug is causing all kinds of problems,slow downs,lockup,delays in devices and even some things not working right.
              -Mike-

Comment

Latest FTDI drivers for Homeseer Z-wave Controller

I found we can download HomeSeer Z-Wave USB Interface ZU0100-001 Driver 1.05.04 and 1.06.20 from www.homeseer.com.

The "new" 1.06.20 driver that can be downloaded is from Oct 15, 2004. The 1.05.04 Driver that ships with Homeseer is from Nov 8, 2002. The latest 3.01.04 drivers from FTDI directly are from Dec 15, 2005.

FTDI which makes the USB interface chip has provided newer drivers on http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

Has anyone used them? How would I modify the ftd2xx.inf to make use of these newer drivers? They seem to address alot of problems that could be the source of the instability.

FTDI - D2XX Driver Release Information
                ======================================

Version No. Date Changes

3.01.04 15 Dec 2005 Fixed receive request deadlock problem.

3.01.02 01 Dec 2005 Fixed bug where events were signalled twice.

3.00.00 15 Sep 2005 Full release.

3.00.00 Beta 03 May 2005 Supports FT2232C.

2.00.03 10 Dec 2004 Fixed problem signalling overrun error.

2.00.02 20 Oct 2004 Added FT_CyclePort.

2.00.01 15 Oct 2004 Changed IOCTL base index.
                Library supports changed IOCTL base index.
                Fixed disconnect delay problem.

1.06.18 30 Sep 2004 Supports modem control signals in FT_SetState.

1.06.16 23 Jun 2004 Fixed initialization bug in WinXPSP1.
                Fixed WHQL EEPROM compatibility problem.

1.06.14 01 Mar 2004 Supports serial numbers up to 16 chars in length.
                Fixed bug in staged write requests.

1.06.12 30 Jan 2004 Fixed synchronization problem between open and first read.

1.06.11 23 Jan 2004 Fixed problems with driver verifier.
                Fixed disconnect with open port problem.
                Added open by location capability.

1.06.08 24 Nov 2003 Fixed problem with FT_W32_ClearCommError not reporting errors.
                Fixed serial number problem in library.

1.06.07 17 Nov 2003 Complete outstanding wait-on-event request on surprise removal.

1.06.06 30 Oct 2003 Fixed bug that limited write requests to 64Kbytes.

1.06.05 27 Oct 2003 Fixed bug in FT_W32_SetCommMask.
                Added FT_ResetPort.

1.06.02 18 Sep 2003 Fixed bug in FT_W32_WaitCommEvent.
                Added FT_SetResetPipeRetryCount.

1.05.12 12 June 2003 Fixed power management so that laptops can suspend.
                Fixed bug in event notification.
                Added FT_StopInTask and FT_RestartInTask.

1.05.09 21 Mar 2003 Fixed problem with write timeout when setup by FT_W32_SetCommTimeouts.

1.05.08 19 Mar 2003 Fixed power management problems.
                FT_W32_PurgeComm purges read queue.
                Added FT_W32_CancelIo.

1.05.04 08 Nov 2002 Added FT_GetDeviceInfo.

1.05.03 08 Nov 2002 Supports BM devices.

Comment

Web Page refresh rate

Originally posted by zap
                  The reason I suggested turning off the refresh rate is because there is a bug in builds starting with build 2041 and up this has to do problem with the refresh rate. You stated that it will run for about 2 hour before going haywire.
                  This bug is causing all kinds of problems,slow downs,lockup,delays in devices and even some things not working right.
                  You are talking about Web Page refresh rate, and not device polling? Is that correct? I will give that a try too.

Comment

Z-wave remote control works fine

Even though the Homeseer Z-wave USB interface stops working, the Z-wave Remote Controller ZTH100 works fine from the same postion as the interface.

So if the remote works, then this must indicate there is not an environmental issue interferring with the signal? The remote works instantly with no delay.

Comment

Web page refresh, yes that is correct. it under setup, web server,auto refresh.

The Hand held remote has always worked even when the computer controller would not.

That driver you found is the one I use.
                      -Mike-

Comment

Which driver?

Originally posted by zap
                        Web page refresh, yes that is correct. it under setup, web server,auto refresh.

The Hand held remote has always worked even when the computer controller would not.

That driver you found is the one I use.
                        Which driver you are referring to? Is it 1.06.20 driver or the 3.01.04 driver?

Comment

The one from FTDI Ver. 3.01.04
                          -Mike-

Comment

Hi,
                            you might try moving up to HS version 2048 and see if that helps.
                            Stuart

Comment

Zap,

How do I install the FTDI Ver. 3.01.04 Driver?

Do I need to modify the ftd2xx.inf to make use of these newer drivers?

Comment

Working...
                              X