This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
    Hi VP, you can use a Com port redirector with the Global Cache devices, so that to the plugin it looks like a regular serial port. See this thread from yesterday: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=171673

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks for the advice. I hope iAutomate RFiD plugin and hardware will work with that. I will wait for Peter to chime in. If I could do that, I would be able to maintain my current new setup: primary installation on a physical PC and backup - on the virtual one, being able to cut power to main PC in case of failure and bring up the virtual install seamlessly...

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualPanther View Post
      Here is where I come to iAutomate. My 1-2 y.o. iAutomate RFID stuff is serial-based, as you are well aware. However, your plugin for HS3 only allows to choose a Com port, as a method of connection. Does that mean that unless the hardware is physically connected to a physical PC with a serial port, I can't use it at all?
      As long as the serial port for your adapter/converter appears in Windows device manager our plugin will work. We offer a Ethernet to serial adaptor that we support; I cannot speak to the effectiveness of other brands or models; there are just too many of them for us to possibly evaluate.

Comment

Originally posted by pmonahan View Post
        As long as the serial port for your adapter/converter appears in Windows device manager our plugin will work. We offer a Ethernet to serial adaptor that we support; I cannot speak to the effectiveness of other brands or models; there are just too many of them for us to possibly evaluate.
        Peter,
        Do you have a link to your serial-to-IP adapter?

Comment

Peter,
          Do you have a link to your serial-to-IP adapter?
          http://www.iautomate.com/rs232-seria...device-server/

Comment

Peter,
            I looked at the adapter on your web site, but still can't figure out if it behaves in the same way as Global Cache products. That is, it is allowing access to a serial device via specific IP and does NOT need to be physically connected to a PC.

The reason I am asking is because my intent behind making all devices IP-based is to make them seamlessly accessible to different PCs. I have six serial ports on my HomeSeer primary computer. But if that PC goes down, I want to be able to bring the backup installation of HomeSeer online and continue house control uninterrupted. This is what I am doing with Z-Troller, by having it connected to Global Cache serial-to-ip adapter. The Z-wave plugin is configured to connect to z-troller over Ethernet. As a result, as long as I have only one instance of HomeSeer running at the time, I have no problems connecting to z-troller from that running PC - physical or virtual.

With your serial-to-IP server / adapter, how exactly would I di the same? How does the IP address become a serial port in device manager? If all of this is via LAN, then that's perfect. If anything needs to be connected to a specific PC, then not...

Comment

Peter,
              I looked at the adapter on your web site, but still can't figure out if it behaves in the same way as Global Cache products. That is, it is allowing access to a serial device via specific IP and does NOT need to be physically connected to a PC.

The reason I am asking is because my intent behind making all devices IP-based is to make them seamlessly accessible to different PCs. I have six serial ports on my HomeSeer primary computer. But if that PC goes down, I want to be able to bring the backup installation of HomeSeer online and continue house control uninterrupted. This is what I am doing with Z-Troller, by having it connected to Global Cache serial-to-ip adapter. The Z-wave plugin is configured to connect to z-troller over Ethernet. As a result, as long as I have only one instance of HomeSeer running at the time, I have no problems connecting to z-troller from that running PC - physical or virtual.

With your serial-to-IP server / adapter, how exactly would I di the same? How does the IP address become a serial port in device manager? If all of this is via LAN, then that's perfect. If anything needs to be connected to a specific PC, then not...

The side they have pictured has a serial port, the other end has power and ethernet connections.

Comment

Peter,

The device resides anywhere on the LAN (and with some work, optionally over WAN), and the supplied driver handles the rest to create a serial port in Windows. The Windows Driver converts the Serial Packets to TCP/IP and vice-versa with virtually no latency.

Comment

Peter,
                  After setting things up on HS3, for some odd reason, one of my old tags is non-detectable at all. All the others works fine. So it seems that it's just the tag that died / became too weak exactly when I migrated to HS3. The only way to be sure is to replace the tag with a new one. This is where I need your advice. My readers and current tags are from 2011. What is the best tag to be mounted on a windshield in an SUV? I went to look at your web site and you have many more choices these days

I found a tag that says it replaces my current model (L-TG501-A): http://www.iautomate.com/products/wa...l-tg501-a.html
                  Then there is a tag that is supposedly for home automation systems specifically, including HomeSeer: http://www.iautomate.com/products/wa...or-indigo.html
                  Finally, there is a vehicle RF tag (http://www.iautomate.com/products/Pu...hicle-Tag.html). This is likely not compatible with my readers, since it says "For use ONLY with the Pure RF Long Range RFID Reader - Serial, LAN or Wiegand". Of course, if it is compatible and it provides a stronger signal, I'd love to have it!

I wanted to paste a link to the readers I have, but it's no longer available on your site
                  Last edited by VirtualPanther; January 1, 2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Is there any chance of this plug-in being migrated to Linux?

Comment

I am planning to get a keypad and proximity reader from a Danish company Conlan (www.conlan.dk). They have Wiegand compatible readers. I wonder whether this plugin supports these readers.
                      Last edited by jlikonen; February 21, 2016, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlikonen View Post
                        I am planning to get a keypad and proximity reader from a Danish company Conlan (www.conlan.dk). They have Wiegand compatible readers. I wonder whether this plugin supports these readers.
                        The plugin only supports Wavetrend RX-200 series readers and the RX-50 serial reader.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                          Is there any chance of this plug-in being migrated to Linux?
                          Sorry, no. There would not be enough demand to offset the costs of development.

We do have an OS X solution that has been available for a couple of years now.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pmonahan View Post
                            The plugin only supports Wavetrend RX-200 series readers and the RX-50 serial reader.
                            OK, thanks a lot for the info.

Comment

Will this run on HomeTroller S6?

Comment

Working...
                              X