This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best controller? newb here! :)

I had some x-10 stuff from a couple of years ago and want to get back into the "fun"

Downloaded homeseer and it looks pretty good.... what is the best controller right now?

Also how does homeseer rate with you "senior" automation guys?...

Thanks Dan!

Welcome,

I would suggest you do a little research into newer technologies before you leap. Currently the main ones are X-10, Z-Wave, Insteon, UPB although there is not much talk on X-10 anymore. UPB is powerline, Insteon is powerline (claims to be RF also) and and Z-wave is RF. There is alot of info here but this board is obviously biased towards HomeSeer as it is their MB.

Comment

I agree... just search around and read.. read ... read... I keep on reading and sometimes dont get far...

also what is it that you wish to do?

I am in the same boat as you... years ago I bought a kit from x10.com
      used that for a long time.... with a desktop controller...

what I did was walk in our front door and walk over to an outlet and plug the unit in and hit A1 on
      I had all our holiday stuff on A1

worked good...

now I downloaded the HS trial and installed....
      I am using mainly x-10 stuff.....
      I did have some troubles but got them resolved... and like it...
      I have an insteon controller but dont use it as I dont have any insteon devices...

you call it "fun" and I call it an adiction!!!!!

the support on this site is great.... I was "walked Through" my 1 wire temperature help and now got that working....
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by DANIELG
        I had some x-10 stuff from a couple of years ago and want to get back into the "fun"

Downloaded homeseer and it looks pretty good.... what is the best controller right now?

Also how does homeseer rate with you "senior" automation guys?...

Thanks Dan!
        The beauty of using HomeSeer is you can mix and match till your hearts content when it comes to using the all the old and new protocols. I'm not sure I agree with Steve on "although there is not much talk on X-10 anymore". X10 is still a very affordable and viable automation protocol if the user gets the right parts. You should be able to use your old X10 equipment to get started and then narrow in on a protocol later.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
          The beauty of using HomeSeer is you can mix and match till your hearts content when it comes to using the all the old and new protocols. I'm not sure I agree with Steve on "although there is not much talk on X-10 anymore". X10 is still a very affordable and viable automation protocol if the user gets the right parts. You should be able to use your old X10 equipment to get started and then narrow in on a protocol later.
          I agree with Rupp. I have 100% X10 stuff and have probably 99+% reliability. You need to filter out the bad stuff and couple and amplify/repeat the good signals to get a reliable setup.
          Dick
          HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

I am a victim!

Well I did it... Purchased Homeseer, UPB eval kit and a new x-10 interface....

I think it will be a mix because of the cost of UPB...also because X-10 has so much more to offer..
            Time to read some more!

Thanks,
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DANIELG
              Well I did it... Purchased Homeseer, UPB eval kit and a new x-10 interface....

I think it will be a mix because of the cost of UPB...also because X-10 has so much more to offer..
              Time to read some more!

Thanks,
              Dan
              Welcome to the fraternity.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
              X