Using Echo as Mic for event trigger "phrase was recognized"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Echo as Mic for event trigger "phrase was recognized"

I'm planning to have Echo Dots all over my house; I know Homeseer can have events trigger on "A Phrase was recognized".

Is it possible to have echos route a command to Homeseer and parse the phrase to trigger the proper events?

From the documentation it looks like all that's supported is "Alexa, tell Homeseer to run the event XYZ".

Thanks.

This may help.
    Jon

Comment

Great, thanks! Looks good on first glance. Will need some time to really parse and play

Comment

Alexa scenes for running events?

I noticed the Scenes tab in the Alexa app the other day which is filled with Logitech Harmony triggers such as BBC 1, BBC2 etc which allow me to say Alexa turn on BBC1.

Could the Homeseer skill use these Alexa scenes to run events?

Comment

Short answer, NO.

That said I don't think I really want it to at least not to automatically have it load all of my events. Scenes in Alexa are triggered about the same as devices other than you say the word "scene". I'm able to do everything scenes do using virtual devices to trigger events.

The other thing is that Amazon wants the developer to make sure you don't trigger "Not Allowed Devices". This would be easier to do if you passes events directly to scenes in Alexa but if you use virtual devices you have much more control but it's harder for HS3 do detect "Not Allowed Devices". Personally, I don't think Amazon has the right to dictate to me what devices I control with scenes. If they allow me to control it using my voice then there is no reason to block its use using scenes. Bottom line is that we're smarter than the Alexa engineers when it come to this so they need to keep their hands off.

-------

BTW, when it cones to controlling locks, garage doors, security system and other in Alexa "Not Allowed Devices" I think you're dumb to allow these to be unlocked, opened, disable and the like using voice be it directly or using scenes. In fact I wish that I could block a locks "unlock" functions from being use with voice at all.

Think about it, if someone outside your house yelled "unlock the door" they could just walk right in. My rule is to Never allow unlocking or opening using voice, only some manual function.

It's all about security. Heck, I won't even use geofencing to unlock something, only lock it. So be careful and don't allow any devices that can make your how unsecured to be voice controlled.
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Alexa scenes for 'phrase was recognised' events

I agree that would be crazy to allow lock devices to be voice controlled. The 'Voice command' option under the device configuration hides it from Alexa when un-checked. Shame we don't have the same options for events, although perhaps the 'phrase was recognised' be used as the filter for adding events to the alexa scenes list, sending the phrase entered to Alexa for the scene name/trigger?

The new Alexa routines feature can be used to turn on a virtual device which then triggers an event in HS, i've made one called 'good night', all I have to say is Alexa Good night (needs a space or doesn't work) and she turns off all the living room lights, indoor Xmas lights, TV and amp The downside to these is that all she can respond with is OK. no way to create a shortcut for 'tell homeseer too' which would be handy for getting information back from HS, hopefully Amazon plan to add this in the same way google have in their assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by robyo View Post
              I agree that would be crazy to allow lock devices to be voice controlled. The 'Voice command' option under the device configuration hides it from Alexa when un-checked. Shame we don't have the same options for events, although perhaps the 'phrase was recognised' be used as the filter for adding events to the alexa scenes list, sending the phrase entered to Alexa for the scene name/trigger?
              What would be handy is if you could set a voice flag on each command a device could handle. That way you could set "Unlock" to no voice but "Lock" to voice. Now you would be able to lock the door via voice, which is a good thing, but not unlock it via voice. At least using virtual devices you can do the same thing with just a little bit of work but it would be nice not to have to.
              Originally posted by robyo View Post
              The new Alexa routines feature can be used to turn on a virtual device which then triggers an event in HS, i've made one called 'good night', all I have to say is Alexa Good night (needs a space or doesn't work) and she turns off all the living room lights, indoor Xmas lights, TV and amp The downside to these is that all she can respond with is OK. no way to create a shortcut for 'tell homeseer too' which would be handy for getting information back from HS, hopefully Amazon plan to add this in the same way google have in their assistant.
              I have a "Good night" virtual device but I can't just say "Alexa Good night". I need to say "Alexa turn on Good night" or "Alexa turn Good night On". Basically I have to some how give it an "On" to the Good night device.
              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                What would be handy is if you could set a voice flag on each command a device could handle. That way you could set "Unlock" to no voice but "Lock" to voice. Now you would be able to lock the door via voice, which is a good thing, but not unlock it via voice. At least using virtual devices you can do the same thing with just a little bit of work but it would be nice not to have to.
                I have a "Good night" virtual device but I can't just say "Alexa Good night". I need to say "Alexa turn on Good night" or "Alexa turn Good night On". Basically I have to some how give it an "On" to the Good night device.
                We use 'Alexa, turn on bedtime' which is a little more intuitive. I agree that 'Alexa, good night' would be equally as good.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

We use Jon's helper. I call my system Leena and I initiate bedtime by
                  "Alexa, tell leena good night".. HS then runs the good night event.

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X