Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smarthome can't help me...perhaps someone here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smarthome can't help me...perhaps someone here?

Here's thread I posted at techmall

http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=543

Anyone run into this before?

Jon,

SmartHome also told me that I could not use software to program a keypad buttons (A-D or B-G) state? As the thread above outlines, I'm having real problems syncing keypad button states in large whole house ON/OFF scenes. No issues with loads...just all the keypads secondary buttons. Hoping this plugin will solve this?

It is a bit hard to follow in the thread. It is true that button cross-linking within the keypad is not done via links. Since the plug-in needs to know about how the switch works internally I've had to reverse-engineer this behavior. This *can* be programmed remotely but there is no software that I know of that does this correctly.

When a switch is controlling another then there is a link record used. If A and B control each other then there are 2 links used in each switch. If there are three switches then 4 links used in each switch. There is a limit to the number of links that can be programmed in each switch.

Because of the way Insteon groups work it doesn't scale well. For instance each keypadlinc uses 6-8 group addresses from the plug-ins (PLC actually) pool of 254. Therefore you are limited to about 30 keypadlincs if you have no groups.

If you have a few keypadlincs and a bunch of devices you are better off. Then you can have HomeSeer add a group for each of the keypadlinc buttons and control them without cross-linking each keypad. There is just a short delay before all the other keypad buttons turn off after you hit the one.

In order to know if you are running out of links I would need to know all the programming details of the keypadlinc you are having troubles with. The best way to get that is to download the data into the plug-in and look at the list there.

Jon

Originally posted by kevind
    Here's thread I posted at techmall

http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=543

Anyone run into this before?

Jon,

SmartHome also told me that I could not use software to program a keypad buttons (A-D or B-G) state? As the thread above outlines, I'm having real problems syncing keypad button states in large whole house ON/OFF scenes. No issues with loads...just all the keypads secondary buttons. Hoping this plugin will solve this?
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Jon,

Will do when I get the PLC up and running.

Comment

Jon, I put a diagram up on that thread link that hopefully clarifies better what the issue is.

Comment

Working...
        X