Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
    Blade,

Like was already stated you don't need anything but Blueiris and the cameras.

I also would try and talk you out of the glass dome versions of Hikvisions. They are great for vandal resistance but they are the worse for picture of the bullet and turret style at night atleast.

I run 10 or more hikvisions at two different houses with Blueiris. On the porches I use the indoor model with a speaker and mic to enable two way with someone at my door. The rest are mostly bullets with two of those domes.

I love my ds-2cd2532f-is with 2.8mm lens models.
    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Bob Just an FYI, that NVR doesn't get very good reviews on Amazon but it doesn't look like you will need one anyway.
      https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-DS-.../dp/B00VMNRZS4
      Did you actually read the reviews? Most of the negative ones are about lack of support from Hik USA as they'd bought a grey import. The other negative ones were typical Amazon reviews with little relevance to the actual product. I would disregard all the 1 and 2 star reviews, the remainder are positive with a few small criticisms.

FWIW, after trying Blue Iris on my HS system I decided to abandon it and move to a separate NVR. I found that BI is a CPU hog and it was getting to 100% CPU with only 4 cameras. I could have changed the server to a power hungry monster, but I suspect that BI would still get CPU bound. The Hik NVRs are very low power (less than the extra which would have been used by a more powerful CPU) and I prefer to have one processor for one task!

The NVR I use is a DS-7716N-E4-16P and has been fine for my purposes. The built in POE means that I don't have to mess around with injectors or waste POE outputs on my switch. The cameras being on a separate network is a welcome security barrier, given the issues about network devices.

Comment

That one is 60w total or they have an optional 120w inverter. Thats 8.5 for each camera if you have 7. Think my hikvisions draw like 7w each at nighy with the ira on and like 5 during the day. But your best bet is to look at your models power draw and make sure its under 60w for all. If not get 120w inverter version.
        The DS-2CD2132F-I camera says a max of 5W so I will be fine with the 60W POE injector
        I will just get a regular Gigabit switch then and I should be all set
        Thanks
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Would these rackmount ones work for me?

https://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-16-1U-...ctor+rackmount

or

https://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-16-48v...+injector+rack
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Yup if you need that many ports. The 2nd link is what u need.

Comment

Great. I am just thinking about expansion

I am going to use Blue Iris but I am not sure if I should use my main PC for it or get another small form factor one.
              Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                Great. I am just thinking about expansion

I am going to use Blue Iris but I am not sure if I should use my main PC for it or get another small form factor one.
                Blueiris Does use some CPU resources but no DVR has the features BlueIris has.

The Hikvision Cameras don't have the motion features built in to be able to free draw out mask areas nor does it have shadow canceling or many other features to block out trees, shadows or other things that cause false alerts. Hikvision Dvr's rely on the cameras to do the processing and only use the DVR for recording. Blueiris does all the processing of the cameras in one place and that is why the CPU gets used.

There are many ways to lower CPU demand. The main two are to use "Direct-To-Disc" recording and to use a newer intel CPU and use the "Intel Hardware Acceleration".

I run 10 3MP hikvisions and 1 4MP hikvision on an i7 mini itx in a mini case with 25% cpu load. It is a stout lil computer but small with external brick power supply and somewhat quiet but not silent. It runs HomeSeer, Blueiris, Unifi Controller, Utorrent and Plex. Screen shot of my cameras with bitrates and frame rates all shown with 25% cpu included. Along with a link for pictures of the mini Pc build.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sjt3x5ba...YGqWn7xha?dl=0
                Attached Files
                Last edited by integlikewhoa; October 19, 2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Does the newer versions of Blue Iris allow the motion detection to be offloaded to the cameras?

All of my cams have motion detection where you shade areas to include or omit. My current BI version 3.00.05 wants to manage the motion detection which eats a fair amount of CPU. Having that done on the cameras would make much more sense and just let BI record without decoding each frame.
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                    Does the newer versions of Blue Iris allow the motion detection to be offloaded to the cameras?

All of my cams have motion detection where you shade areas to include or omit. My current BI version 3.00.05 wants to manage the motion detection which eats a fair amount of CPU. Having that done on the cameras would make much more sense and just let BI record without decoding each frame.
                    Hikvision cameras have the option to send out a tripped signal to blueiris. So yes you can not use motion in Blueiris and only use it to record when camera sends the tripped signal.

I have used this in the past along with the normal blueiris motion. What I was doing was using the camera to have blueiris record all motions to not miss an event, then in blueiris I got real strict to not get any false alarms. I then use virtual motions in HS3 and use them as motions. This gave me both recording for any little movement but also gave me notifications and motion detection that would not false alarm from a shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

All of my cams have motion detection where you shade areas to include or omit. My current BI version 3.00.05 wants to manage the motion detection which eats a fair amount of CPU.
                      What cameras do you have? Hikvisions only allow you make square boxes to shade areas. Problem is my house, driveways, trees and pretty much everything is not made square. So Hikvisions don't do so well with my motion areas. They also have like two adjustments, day sensitivity and night sensitivity. So they work fine for just recording everything that moves (tree's, shadows, flags, flying insects or birds) but they didn't work well enough to stop false alarms if your getting notifications.

I have attached a pic in the hikvision where to alert the servaliance center (which blue iris reads) and also in Blueiris when you can enable you trigger to happen from motion or from this trigger from the camera (which you would use instead of motion). I use both in my last posts scenerio where I record everything and only notify on blueiris motion. I didn't attach a pic but in the blueiris options for "alerts" I only send an alert if the trigger happens from blueiris not from the camera trigger. That is a check box option that is available.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What cameras do you have? Hikvisions only allow you make square boxes to shade areas. Problem is my house, driveways, trees and pretty much everything is not made square. So Hikvisions don't do so well with my motion areas. They also have like two adjustments, day sensitivity and night sensitivity. So they work fine for just recording everything that moves (tree's, shadows, flags, flying insects or birds) but they didn't work well enough to stop false alarms if your getting notifications.

I have attached a pic in the hikvision where to alert the servaliance center (which blue iris reads) and also in Blueiris when you can enable you trigger to happen from motion or from this trigger from the camera (which you would use instead of motion). I use both in my last posts scenerio where I record everything and only notify on blueiris motion. I didn't attach a pic but in the blueiris options for "alerts" I only send an alert if the trigger happens from blueiris not from the camera trigger. That is a check box option that is available.
                        My company sells these types of cameras - I wish I could tell you what 'brand' they are; our vendor buys them in bulk from china with custom firmware. Here's the camera and the motion settings for my front yard:
                        Attached Files
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I tried direct to disc with Blue Iris and it just produced blocky recordings with missing motion, so I had to revert to normal recording with high CPU use.

Actually Hikvision cameras can shade non square areas, just as BI can, and in the same way. Admittedly the boxes are bigger than BI, but arguably small enough.

Outdoor motion detection is extremely problematic anyway. Things like rain or snow or insects can't be eliminated as triggers however fine the area selection.

I was just trying to counter Rupp's unjust criticism of Hikvision NVRs. They have a lot going for them, not least relative simplicity. BI is no doubt extremely configurable and versatile, but it demands a lot of work to make the most of. The Hikvision NVRs are much simpler to set up and do the job more than adequately.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by billt View Post
                            I tried direct to disc with Blue Iris and it just produced blocky recordings with missing motion, so I had to revert to normal recording with high CPU use.

Actually Hikvision cameras can shade non square areas, just as BI can, and in the same way. Admittedly the boxes are bigger than BI, but arguably small enough.

Outdoor motion detection is extremely problematic anyway. Things like rain or snow or insects can't be eliminated as triggers however fine the area selection.

I was just trying to counter Rupp's unjust criticism of Hikvision NVRs. They have a lot going for them, not least relative simplicity. BI is no doubt extremely configurable and versatile, but it demands a lot of work to make the most of. The Hikvision NVRs are much simpler to set up and do the job more than adequately.
                            In your example how do you adjust the sensitivity from day to night? At night my setting are alot different due to headlights or other lights. My blocked out areas are even different due to lighting. Same goes for the motion adjustments. In your example you only have one option "sensitivity" and in my experience it doesn't work so well.

I do eliminate Rain, insects and other outdoor issues without problems due to the amount of setting options you have to adjust the motion detection.
                            Things like amount of motion, size of object, distance of travel, color/shade difference between object to background, speed of object and others. Things like this are not available in Hikvison with only one "Sensitivity" slider bar from 1-10.

It's really used to just record anything and not used for actual notifications or more precise detection of motion. If people were only using it to record on a loop it works just fine to cancel out some non motion times and save some disc space.

Setup is much easier in a NVR since you need to setup every camera on it's own for recording. Blueiris is the opposite. You don't have the cameras do anything but stream and setup all motion in BI. Probley same amount of time just on different ends.

Hikvison NVR also limited to only their cam's. Someone that may change, have different cams already, or acquire other indoor or any type of cam (door bell) will then also be in position to not have versatility.

Then you have HS3 plugin compatibility.

There definitely alot more to Blueiris then an NVR, but they are used for different tasks really. NVR is really just a hard-drive or NAS basically for the cameras after they do the trigger work.

This thread really started with trying to use both which would be pointless. He already uses BI so adding an NVR to the mix doesn't make any sense to run both.

Comment

Blueiris Does use some CPU resources but no DVR has the features BlueIris has.

The Hikvision Cameras don't have the motion features built in to be able to free draw out mask areas nor does it have shadow canceling or many other features to block out trees, shadows or other things that cause false alerts. Hikvision Dvr's rely on the cameras to do the processing and only use the DVR for recording. Blueiris does all the processing of the cameras in one place and that is why the CPU gets used.

There are many ways to lower CPU demand. The main two are to use "Direct-To-Disc" recording and to use a newer intel CPU and use the "Intel Hardware Acceleration".

I run 10 3MP hikvisions and 1 4MP hikvision on an i7 mini itx in a mini case with 25% cpu load. It is a stout lil computer but small with external brick power supply and somewhat quiet but not silent. It runs HomeSeer, Blueiris, Unifi Controller, Utorrent and Plex. Screen shot of my cameras with bitrates and frame rates all shown with 25% cpu included. Along with a link for pictures of the mini Pc build.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sjt3x5ba...YGqWn7xha?dl=0
                              Looks great

Can you list the parts you used to make that machine. I like the size of it
                              I like the external PSU
                              Cheers,
                              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                                Looks great

Can you list the parts you used to make that machine. I like the size of it
                                I like the external PSU
                                Ok but I'm sure parts today would be different as this was over a year ago.

I also didn't start with case fans but the Hp under the hood in the small compact case along with placement in the top corner of a closet led to higher then ideal temps on HD's and CPU. I ended up running 4 case fans (listed below but not show in pics) on low speed down the right side of the case to run some air past all the internal components. It also helped slow the cpu fan down to and made it quieter. The closet is in the master bedroom so I didn't want to hear it at night. I use the onboard (gigbyte Mobo) fan control app to keep it cool but quiet. I could have also probley gotten away with a i7-4790S to save on power watts and run cooler, but I wanted the hp.

CPU: i7-4790
                                CPU FAN: Dynatron T459
                                RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (HX318C10FK2/16)
                                MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI
                                HardDrive Main: Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250GB 2.5"
                                HardDrive Storage: Seagate HN-M201RAD 2GB 2.5"
                                PowerSupply: PicoPSU-160-XT/15A 180W AC-DC with barrel connector
                                Case: Morex 557 Mini-Itx
                                Case Fans: Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX (4 of them installed down one side of case)
                                Keyboard & Mouse (for setup only): Logitech Wireless Combo MK270
                                Monitor: None, HDMI to tv for setup.

Powersupply was a two part kit I bought but you may only find it seperate. I got mine here but says not available anymore.
                                https://www.amazon.com/short-circuit.../dp/B00Y3X9IB2

I also got some really short Sata Cables to keep the inside clean and free of extra cables. In the pics the black ones were to long and I think came with some of the parts. I ended up ordering 5" red sata III cables.
                                Last edited by integlikewhoa; October 20, 2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X