No announcement yet.

Correct installation instructions for Raspberry Pi3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've a little Intel Atom running XP SP3 running offline for any technical work like formatting SD cards, creating images etc. All other work is carried out in Ubuntu. I stopped using Windows after Windows 7. I'm looking at an alternative to Ubuntu now as its become a bit bloated since version 16.

Raspbian has become interesting. Desktop computing appears to be on the wane with the proliferation of single board computers and the ability to be able to run the likes of HS3 on a compact low energy unit.

Comment

Windows to Linux....

I am still running 5 systems (my main PC, my wife's desktop, my HTPC server, my HTPC upstairs, and my laptop) at my house on Windows. currently, I am in the process of adopting as much linux equipment at home as possible, PFsense router, Unifi Controller running on an RPI 1b, HTPC RPI3 running xbian, testing another RPI running Emby Theatre for linux, NAS. I am pretty comfortable computing on anything (Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac). My next major project will be to matriculate all my HTPC device to Linux.
      At work I run a very blended system. We have Mac users, Windows Users, Thin-client Linux/windows users. Our backend is a mix of Windows and Linux wherever possible with everything tied into a Windows Domain.

Comment

Personally Ubuntu GParted and disk manager does way better for me at formatting SD cards, USB sticks et al these days.

I have been running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on one laptop and concurrent with that run Oracle VBs (as with Homeseer 3) for XP-W7-W10. Mostly use XP and W7 VBs if need be.

Ubuntu 16.04/16.10 64 bit is fatter than Ubuntu 14.XX.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by RichM View Post
          Just weird! It doesn't work for me. We have the same file system. I formatted the SD card with "SDformater" (Format size adjust on). I then copied the files from the output directory over to it. To create the list of files I right clicked on the folder and selected the "extract all" in Windows Explorer. The only difference (that I see) between our two directories is the file dates.
          I just went through the very same thing. Took the card, used win32diskimager to put jessie-lite on it and the card booted just fine in a pi3. So it's not the card.

Comment

Thank you!

Just jumping in to Homeseer and am pulling my hair out trying to do the install.
            Was trying 64GB cards. 32GB is working perfectly.

Comment

Correct Installation of HS3 Standard on Raspberry Pi 3

I have not found any official Linux installation instructions from Home Seer while none of the forum posts are complete and accurate. Here is the process I developed over the last week. I am not an expert so I'll take the community's inputs to improve this post.

OverviewLinux Installation
              Install Raspbian Lite:
              1. Download Raspbian Stretch Lite to a PC.
              2. Write the Raspbian image to a micro SD card with the Etcher SD card image writer for Linux and Windows ( https://etcher.io/ ).
              3. Insert this micro SD card into the powered-down Raspberry Pi 3.
              4. Connect the RPi to your network with an Ethernet cable if you are not using Wi-Fi because it is about to automatically download more software.
              5. Attach a monitor and keyboard to the RPi.
              6. Boot the RPi by powering it on and let it do its automatic installations and updates, which might take up to 15 minutes.

If you will only connect to your RPi 3 via Ethernet and USB then disabled the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios at the firmware level to improve security and to save power. Add these lines to /boot/config.txt:
              dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
              dtoverlay=pi3-disable-btsudo raspi-configsudo shutdown -r now .

Prepare the RPi for HomeSeer installation:
              1. Shut down the RPi: sudo shutdown -h now .
              2. Remove the monitor and keyboard from the RPi and make all further connections from a Linux computer terminal with SSH or a Windows computer SSH client like PuTTY.
              3. Remove the micro SD card.

HomeSeer HS3 Installation ssh <hostname>
              2. sudo apt update
              3. sudo apt install mono-complete
              4. sudo apt install mono-vbnc
              5. sudo apt install mono-xsp4

After installation, make sure you update the builds. Repeat this pair of commands several times to update all of the dependencies.
              1. sudo apt update
              2. sudo apt upgrade

Install HomeSeer: sudo tar xvf hs3_linux_<version>.tar.gz

The tar script creates the /home/pi/HomeSeer directory.

HomeSeer can be started by cd HomeSeer followed by sudo ./go , but this only runs HomeSeer while the SSH console session is active.

Better is to run the heart of the go script in the background without logging:
              sudo mono HomeSeer/HSConsole.exe &sudo mono /home/pi/HomeSeer/HSConsole.exe &

Comment

I know what I will be trying this weekend! I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by pmoneill View Post
                  I have not found any official Linux installation instructions from Home Seer while none of the forum posts are complete and accurate. Here is the process I developed over the last week. I am not an expert so I'll take the community's inputs to improve this post.

You deserve an award. This is great info.
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Might also be worth noting that to get the latest version of Mono follow the instruction on this link. The version in the current Raspberry Pi repos is a little behind.

http://www.mono-project.com/download...d-lin-raspbian

Comment

Very nice. To download the HS3 installation archive directly to the rpi, use the wget command:

Code:
                      wget [URL]https://homeseer.com/updates3/hs3_linux_3_0_0_368.tar.gz[/URL]
                      To download the file to the current directory. Change version spec as appropriate.

Comment

Great stuff Peter!

Can I copy or you copy and paste your excellent post to the Homeseer Help how to section such that it is easy to get to or refer to?
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Peter, very nice instructions for HS3 Standard install to RPI.

Is there a way to install the HS3Pi version in a similar way? I didn't have much trouble installing HS3Pi on my Pi3 using the HS instructions, but the process is very different from yours, and installs the OS and HS3 together. I don't have an HS3 Standard license, only the HS3Pi, and I'd like to install it on a Pi3 with Stretch installed already.

Has anyone tried that, or is HS3Pi tied to the older version of Debian that comes with the install package? Won't run on Stretch?

I am hesitating to even update/upgrade the OS on my HS3Pi also, for the same reason - it is Jessie, but far behind the current releases. Will doing a normal apt-get update/upgrade break HS3Pi?

Comment

Originally posted by pmoneill View Post

Prepare the RPi for HomeSeer installation:
                            1. Shut down the RPi: sudo shutdown -h now .
                            2. Remove the monitor and keyboard from the RPi and make all further connections from a Linux computer terminal with SSH or a Windows computer SSH client like PuTTY.
                            3. Remove the micro SD card.

HomeSeer HS3 Installation
                            Download HomeSeer:
                            1. Download the HS3 Linux tar file hs3_linux_<version>.tar.gz to a PC.
                            2. Copy it to the inserted micro SD card as /home/pi/hs3_linux_<version>.tar.gz with the PC file manager.
                            3. Eject the micro SD card from the PC.
                            4. Insert the micro SD into the powered-down, headless RPi.
                            5. Power up the RPi and allow it to boot up.
                            Alternatively, to get the tarball for the HS3 release, simply do:
                            Code:
                            $ wget https://homeseer.com/updates3/hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_<release>.tar.gz
                            ...from the command line on the RPI. The command line above will pull the tarball directly from HomeSeer's web site to your current directory. No need to fiddle with moving the SD card around. After wget finishes you can proceed with installing Mono per the rest of the installation instructions.

-M.

Comment

Kudos to Peter for writing "Correct Installation of HS3 Standard on Raspberry Pi 3"!!!!

Suggestion is to become familiar with Linux and Linux command lines. Baby steps.

Will doing a normal apt-get update/upgrade break HS3Pi?

It should not.

HST provided sold and image for the Zee2 build is a customized dual boot with recovery build.

Guessing too that the HST S2 standard and pro boxes are done the same way.

Homeseer 3 on Linux is just a directory and Homeseer 3 runs with Mono such that the Linux base build needs to include Mono.

The above documents a HS3 Standard build on an RPi following the HST Zee2 standard build (up to 5 plugins), HS3 Standard or Pro.

The Raspberry Pi runs a customized Debian Linux which is very similiar to the Ubuntu Debian versions except that it is made to run on an ARM cpu (RPi).

Homeseer 3 Zee2, HS3 Standard, HS3 Pro runs fine on Wheezy, Jessie or Stretch Raspberry Pi's.

Here have updated (apt-get update / upgrade) every HS3 build since the very first Zee.

Having written the above there are many ways to build your Homeseer 3 Linux box.

The above written dialog documents the way that HST builds it Zee2 image except for the DR partition.

Will doing a normal apt-get update/upgrade break HS3Pi?

Not typically.

For an OS upgrade from Jessie to Stretch it is recommended to start from scratch as you cannot upgrade the OS via the update/upgrade command. Just copy the working HS3 directory over to your new build.

Stuff to note:

1 - is that the base builds Mono Versions are 3.28 updating to later versions of Mono will break your events / triggers. This is not an issue for a new build new HS3 box rather an upgrade in the Mono OS. It is an issue relating to a Mono upgrade on a running HS3 box in whatever RPi OS is running (Wheezy, Jessie or Stretch).

2 - Hardware differences of the RPi2 to the RPi3 relating to the integrated Blue Tooth on the RPi3 disable Bluetooth and enable an integrated GPIO Z-Wave card. The current Zee2 build for the RPi3 already does this where as a DIY build has to be configured. A Z-Wave USB stick wouldn't need a change for GPIO port use.

3 - There is no dependency on the X Windows Lite installation or use for use with Homeseer 3. Everything can be done via command line and HS3 browser interface directly on the console or remotely from another computer.

4 - relating to creating a HS3 auto start service the base Linux (all of them) builds have changed from using Upstart to Systemd. Relating to HST the autostart command in the rc.local file has been present since the first HST Linux box (Zee) was introduced. There are issues with shutting down an HS3 service via a system command line referring to the upstart / systemd service of lingering plugins that take longer to shut down than the HS3 core. Here utilize the HS3 web interface to shut down HS3.

5 - While Homeseer 3 Standard and Pro do run on the Raspberry Pi's it is not recommended to push them over the Zee2 limit of 5 Plugins as this will / or can cause over utilization of the CPU and the 1 Gb of the RPi RAM.
                              Last edited by Pete; December 13, 2017, 09:28 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete. Not sure what you meant exactly by "baby steps". I am not a linux guru but am fairly familiar with linux and its command line, have several RPi's used for different things, have done some hacking.

Good to hear that the HS3Pi version is not tightly locked to the exact OS used in the HS release/install file. Also great to hear it will/should run on Stretch. That inspires me to take an image copy of my HS3Pi Pi3 SD card as backup, and try the upgrade. Also to build a new fresh Stretch SD image (lite), set up users, install mono, and copy my working homeseer directory in, see if I can get that running, and to start automatically, using your notes.

I am not using Bluetooth or Zwave, so hopefully that will not be an issue; if so I'll figure out how to disable. My HS3 is mostly a front end to my OmniIIe panel.

My concern was that the regular HS3 linux versions are more like packages (well, a tar file) to install on your own linux setup, while HS3Pi is a complete bundled OS + HS thing, designed and built to include/resolve all dependencies. No HS3Pi tar file available.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X