Looking for "Green" ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for "Green" ideas

Hi All. We're putting together a July newsletter now and want to includes some tips for 'greening up' with HomeSeer. Any and all ideas that result in some kind of energy saving would be good. So, if you have any tips or tricks you'd like to share with the world, please post them here. We'll include the best ones in the next newsletter.

Thanks!

-Mark
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I wish I had something more exciting than using CFLs and using motion sensors to turn lights off when not in use, but that's all I have! I'll be watching this thread for ideas.
    Last edited by rmasonjr; July 10, 2008, 01:25 PM. Reason: sp
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I agree... cf bulbs have reduced my electric costs...
      also same goes for motion sensors... but I also use ds10a's too..

garage:
      open either garage door or door to house and lights come on
      after 8 minutes of no movement lights off

utility room
      same as garage

crawl space
      open door and light on plus motion tripped
      close door and light off after motion gives an off

used to use sunset and sunrise for front porch lights (2 of them)
      first went from bulbs to cf - 10hrs a day . from 36kw a month to 7.8kw
      I have reduced the time even more by kicking off the porch light at 11pm and off 1hr before sunrise.....

next is for me to add a motion sensor to kick on the lights before 11pm if someone comes to the door....

ds10a on freezer, fridges (beer expecially) where you dont always go to them as I have them in the garage... this way you will know when they are open

my newest is appliance modules on all my computers except the hs machine
      .... so I can turn on any computer when I want remotely to save cost...
      example is I remote home now and then (as I am right now)... so hs machine is up... turn on appliance module, my computer acts as if it was a power outage and turns on.. in a few minutes I can remote in and use the machine...
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I'll toss one in. Most modern electronics (A/V and computer gear) are never really "off" when you turn them off. Instant-on and IR circuitry are still active. Granted, the power draw is small... but if you add up all the gear in your house, it might be significant. Add an appliance module to a power strip and then plug your media gear into it. Then, add an event in HomeSeer that cuts power to the module during nighttime hours or when the house is unoccupied.

I'm also guilty of leaving battery chargers plugged in all the time. These 'vampire' loads could be addressed in a similar way.

Comment

Buy a HomeTroller!

Motion Sensors everywhere...

Haven't gone the CFL route yet, need dimmables that fit in ceiling can lights, but a measure for the meantime is a longer ramp up and have them only come up to 60 to 70%

Since I am a Mainlobby user, setting up the MLWMI plugin to allow remote startup/shutdown of all my computers.

1wire temp sensors cycle my ceiling fans
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?
          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
            I'll toss one in. Most modern electronics (A/V and computer gear) are never really "off" when you turn them off. Instant-on and IR circuitry are still active. Granted, the power draw is small... but if you add up all the gear in your house, it might be significant. Add an appliance module to a power strip and then plug your media gear into it. Then, add an event in HomeSeer that cuts power to the module during nighttime hours or when the house is unoccupied.
            I already do this for my bedroom a/v. I noticed one day that the heat coming off the Satelite receiver was incredible! Now I have an event in the morning that turns on the appliance module and then turns on the DTV receiver (it has to re-connect and download the tv guide) then 2 minutes later turns on my TV and a/v receiver. They are all turned off when i leave.
            Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

When the no occupancy event fires cycle through all controllable devices in the house turning them off automatically. This has saved me more than once with the iron ( honey did we turn the iron off? ) and the electric heater in the bathroom as well as turning up the thermostats.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                When the no occupancy event fires cycle through all controllable devices in the house turning them off automatically. This has saved me more than once with the iron ( honey did we turn the iron off? ) and the electric heater in the bathroom as well as turning up the thermostats.
                im gonna replace the outlet for the coffee pot.. I cant tell you how many times I have turned around to go check... got tired of argueing that the coffee pot will turn off after 3hrs anyway.... but that isnt good enough..

I did go as far as walking out the house (after going back) and she said ... did you unplug it? because turning it off isnt good enough...

Sooooooo I said.. yes I unplugged it, including the microwave, stove, washer, dryer and fridge.... i got the nasty 1 finger salute.. but I deserved it..

but yeah I have 5 double outlets and 4 ssr227 singles that I think im gonna have to install......

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                  im gonna replace the outlet for the coffee pot.. I cant tell you how many times I have turned around to go check... got tired of argueing that the coffee pot will turn off after 3hrs anyway.... but that isnt good enough..

I did go as far as walking out the house (after going back) and she said ... did you unplug it? because turning it off isnt good enough...

Sooooooo I said.. yes I unplugged it, including the microwave, stove, washer, dryer and fridge.... i got the nasty 1 finger salute.. but I deserved it..

but yeah I have 5 double outlets and 4 ssr227 singles that I think im gonna have to install......
                  Then make sure you have your event send the off command, wait and send it again, wait and send it again... cause you know otherwise one time the command will fail, the coffee pot will burn the house down and your wife will definately have the last word
                  Over The Hill
                  What Hill?
                  Where?
                  When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                    and your wife will definately have the last word
                    she had the last word when we got married.. notice how they have the guy say I do first.. then she does.. of course she gets the last word!!!!!

Comment

Well they used to have the phrase "promise to cherish and obey" I've been holding that over her head for decades! but then they also had divorce court and none of this unreconcilable differences...

The times have changed.....
                      Over The Hill
                      What Hill?
                      Where?
                      When?

Comment

I'm also guilty of leaving battery chargers plugged in all the time. These 'vampire' loads could be addressed in a similar way.
                        This was a topic of dicussion a long time ago.
                        You need a digital watt metter because if I remember right the X-10 modules have a load associtated with themselves also.

Someday I hope to have HS monitor my power generating equipement when I get off the grid (long future dream).

~Bill

Comment

I'll toss one in. Most modern electronics (A/V and computer gear) are never really "off" when you turn them off. Instant-on and IR circuitry are still active. Granted, the power draw is small... but if you add up all the gear in your house, it might be significant. Add an appliance module to a power strip and then plug your media gear into it.
                          That actually was the first thing I automated. The OFF state of the equipment was in my opinion excessive and the cabinet was always warm even when everything was OFF, everything else expanded from there.

Almost all the lights inside and outside the House are set to turn off after there has been no activity in the area for a period of time. This also includes my Airpanels, TV's, Ceiling Fan's, Dehumidifier's, computers, printers, Treadmill and other items.

No activity in the entire house for XX time and the speaker Amps, NAS, well pump (soon), and all the lights are turned off. Everything is then powered back on when any of our cars are detected returning home, lights are turned on if it is Dark. By the time we get inside the house everything is running like it was never off.

HS also monitors some solar panels and Batteries that I use for certain items in the house.

Forgot to mention HS also controls the Heating, different heating cycles during the day and when we are away.

StevenE
                          Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

I am focusing on the big energy users like the the flourescent lights in my garage/workshop. I have 24 x 40watt bulbs. I now have them controlled by a fixture module controlled by Homeseer. If no motion in the garage for 30 minutes - turn them off. When I reenter the garage (DS10a on the door) , turn them back on.

I am also monitoring my refridgerator ON time via a DS10a triggered by a CR magnetics current transformer. It is an older model and it runs alot. Based on this info, I will be able to estimate the payback period for a new energy efficient model.

Steve Q
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I have 2 of my wireless phones set to charge only 3 hrs a day while we are out. Works pretty good. saving 21 hours of charging and have yet to have the phones complain about not having enough power.
                              Stuart

Comment

Working...
                              X