New $29.95 Motion Sensor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by julez View Post
    So what kind of range and spread are we looking at for the motion sensing?
    I was just about ready to pull the trigger on some Zooz sensors, but the line power intrigues me. Also what kind of power adapter does it require? I'd assume I could just use the same sort of adapter that I have for a Pi3?
    A Pi3 power adapter should work just fine.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

How does this sensor detect motion?

I have an Aeon Labs version that uses light and heat for motion detection. the problem is that a light turning on will trigger a motion event.

I also look forward to an outdoor version.

Comment

I suspect it uses a PIR very similiar to this:
        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...ceBeautifyAB=0

Work great as I use it tied to an arduino with the arduino plugin to detect my cat trying to eat our house plants. It's not a pet immune sensor, I don't see anything about this new HS device if it's pet immune or not. Might be important to some.

Comment

Originally posted by thewizardofoz View Post
          How does this sensor detect motion?

I have an Aeon Labs version that uses light and heat for motion detection. the problem is that a light turning on will trigger a motion event.

I also look forward to an outdoor version.
          it uses an infrared sensor.

Comment

I'm actually using a pair of these in my garage right now. We've had a pretty nasty cold spell where the garage was closer to -15C and they continued to work without any issue even though it says 0-40C. I expect the temperature range is probably conservative.

I do have a coupe questions about them.

1. Since they an be line powered, is there any way to make them so they can always in a listening node state?

2. What is the sensitivity adjustment actually adjusting? Is it the object size it's seeing move? Or the speed of the movement?

3. One observation, seems like it takes roughly 1 second for it to trigger motion. Which is actually pretty good considering other sensors I've worked with sometimes are 4-5 seconds. Are there any adjustments that can be made to make it faster?

Comment

I'm actually using a pair of these in my garage right now. We've had a pretty nasty cold spell where the garage was closer to -15C and they continued to work without any issue even though it says 0-40C. I expect the temperature range is probably conservative.

1. Since they an be line powered, is there any way to make them so they can always in a listening node state?

2. What is the sensitivity adjustment actually adjusting? Is it the object size it's seeing move? Or the speed of the movement?

3. One observation, seems like it takes roughly 1 second for it to trigger motion. Which is actually pretty good considering other sensors I've worked with sometimes are 4-5 seconds. Are there any adjustments that can be made to make it faster?
              Usually for point 1, you have to exclude the device and then re-add it when it's being externally powered.
              cheeryfool

Comment

1. Yes, you can set the motion timeout to something very small like 10 seconds
                2. The refers to the sensitivity of IR. Typically, this translates to increasing the range (distance)
                3. No

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                  1. Yes, you can set the motion timeout to something very small like 10 seconds
                  2. The refers to the sensitivity of IR. Typically, this translates to increasing the range (distance)
                  3. No
                  Ha! I was going to mention range also in number 2.
                  This is perfect! Thanks!

Can't wait to see the Outdoor units.

So just a follow-up on 1 with the motion timeout. If I have HS3 try to communicate with the sensor with that low of a timeout, it's essentially listening and should respond then?

Just doing some more configuration yesterday evening I had it set to 60sec for the timeout and at that point I still had to tap the button 4 times to be able to communicate with the sensor in order to see and change the configuration settings or to optimize it.

To follow-up on what cheeryfool said above. Is there any difference in adopting the sensor on battery vs line power?

Comment

Ha! I was going to mention range also in number 2.
                    This is perfect! Thanks!

Can't wait to see the Outdoor units.

So just a follow-up on 1 with the motion timeout. If I have HS3 try to communicate with the sensor with that low of a timeout, it's essentially listening and should respond then?

Just doing some more configuration yesterday evening I had it set to 60sec for the timeout and at that point I still had to tap the button 4 times to be able to communicate with the sensor in order to see and change the configuration settings or to optimize it.

To follow-up on what cheeryfool said above. Is there any difference in adopting the sensor on battery vs line power?
                    If you include the unit while on line power, it will function as a ROUTING SLAVE ("repeater"), you won't need to wake it to get into the settings and you can set the motion timeout as low as "0" which will make it extremely responsive.

Comment

If you include the unit while on line power, it will function as a ROUTING SLAVE ("repeater"), you won't need to wake it to get into the settings and you can set the motion timeout as low as "0" which will make it extremely responsive.
                      Thanks, this is extremely useful information!

Comment

So I tried this. Completely removed the battery before the secure inclusion.
                        It comes up as Enhanced Routing Slave, but if I test connectivity I get a failed to reach node.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvjlraiatf...pture.JPG?dl=0

Comment

I'm also seeing the same behavior. The unit only responds to motion otherwise I get the failed to reach node.

Stuart

Auditing node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
                          HomeSeer cannot test two-way communication with the node because it is a non-listening node.
                          This was included to the system on a power supply and the battery was removed from the system prior to inclusion and remains out of the unit.

Comment

So I tried this. Completely removed the battery before the secure inclusion.
                            It comes up as Enhanced Routing Slave, but if I test connectivity I get a failed to reach node.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvjlraiatf...pture.JPG?dl=0
                            Originally posted by Stuart View Post
                            I'm also seeing the same behavior. The unit only responds to motion otherwise I get the failed to reach node.

Stuart

Auditing node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
                            HomeSeer cannot test two-way communication with the node because it is a non-listening node.
                            This was included to the system on a power supply and the battery was removed from the system prior to inclusion and remains out of the unit.
                            Not an issue for me. What version of the Z-Wave plug-in are you using? And... did you try optimizing the node?

Comment

just woke up the unit
                              optimized
                              got this after it optimized after wating 15 seconds

Failed to reach node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor)

zwave 3.0.1.185 Hs3 3.0.0.402

HomeSeer Tech Version: 1.1 firmware

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
                                just woke up the unit
                                optimized
                                got this after it optimized after wating 15 seconds

Failed to reach node 73 (Node 73 Z-Wave HomeSeer Motion Sensor)

zwave 3.0.1.185 Hs3 3.0.0.402

HomeSeer Tech Version: 1.1 firmware

Stuart
                                If it's on line power when you include it, there should be no need to wake it up. You should be able to click on "Settings" on the Z-Wave tab and all settings will display. Try including it again but this time bring the sensor close to the controller first, then put it on line power and exclude it, them include it again. Then check the settings and do a connectivity test. Once that's working properly, reposition it, plug it in and optimize it. Everything should be good then.

Comment

Working...
                                X