Snevl Latitude Version 2 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
    Hey Gogs. How do you mean "using the btraced server"? Is it possible to use the btraced server with Snevl?
    Some additional info with what Gogs just replied: The original BTraced app allowed the data to be uploaded to the BTraced server, or any other server that did not require a log-in. The BTraced server already has all the appropriate apps to ingest the location info from your phone. The potential downside to using the BTraced server is that it is - by design - very public. All the data is there, so you can have friends see where you are or have been. It also doesn't interact with Snevl Latitude at all, in that the data is ingested by the BTraced server and you can't really get it back out into some other app.

What the BTraced people have added for the new version is to allow it to log into a server with basic authentication. This is required for accessing your Homeseer machine (and Snevl Latitude) and should allow other applications.

Steve

Comment

For those of you watching the development of Snevl Latitude and Btraced here is a small update.

Btraced has released anouther BETA version of the App for testing and it is working perfectly here. In fact I now have two iphones reporting directly to my HS Server more or less at the same time without any problems.

The current BTraced BETA has fixed a couple of bugs, hardly noticable, and has added the facility to Tweet where you are.

Battery usage is still good, depending on your settings in BTraced of course.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

tick... tick... tick....

The new BTraced - compatible with Snevl Latitude v2.0 - has been uploaded and is awaiting Apple's final posting to the iTunes store. Not being an Apple guy I've only been watching, but it sounds like the beta tests have been going well. I'm sure everyone has already guessed that Gogs was one of the Beta testers, putting it through lots of abuse.

Steve

Comment

Wish they had an android version..... I use Backitude, and have been seeing some odd actions recently. I get spurious locations popping into the track history and it looks as if Backitude is buffering and sending the data more than once so a few hours after I've been somewhere I see exactly e same locations repeated later. Looks as if I am having Groundhog spells....

Anyone else seeing this?

Simon

Comment

Hi Guys,
            One addition, you can use Btraced.com in the app to test the Btraced App, only last 25 trips from all uploaders can be viewed by visitors. You are also able to login on the btraced server and manage your trips from there. You can delete them too.
            Uploading a trip is also rather anonymous, because you can use any name you want.
            So nice for testing purpose, my plan from the beginning has always been uploading to own server of choice and use it for private things like Home automation

We are thinking about Android as well, but not sure for now.

Comment

Originally posted by simonog View Post
              Wish they had an android version..... I use Backitude, and have been seeing some odd actions recently. I get spurious locations popping into the track history and it looks as if Backitude is buffering and sending the data more than once so a few hours after I've been somewhere I see exactly e same locations repeated later. Looks as if I am having Groundhog spells....

Anyone else seeing this?

Simon
              Simon,

I use Backitude and love it. I've not had any of the spurious locations you are talking about, or at least I haven't noticed it.

Steve

Comment

Backitude for Google Latitude repeating previous location

Originally posted by simonog View Post

Anyone else seeing this?

Simon
                Greetings Simon,

I just happened to come across this post, and thought I could chime in. Backitude is designed TO repeat previous location values in certain circumstances.

If you're experiencing such a behavior, undesirably, you might want to look into the Backitude setting > Accuracy Settings > Previous Accuracy Rollback. Un-check this preference.

The function here is designed for situations where, (1) user polls an accurate location value at location X. (2) user steps inside a building and loses GPS signal (3) Backitude re-polls this time without GPS ability and results in city-wide location reading. (4) since the previous location is more accurate, AND within the bounds of the new inaccurate location- Backitude will repeat the previous location.

If this is not the cause, it can also happen another way:
                Consider the settings for "Minimum GPS Accuracy" and "Minimum Wi-Fi accuracy". ie, 10 meters.

So, if Backitude polls and cannot acquire a location value that is 10m accurate or better- what does it do? Skip the update? Repeat the previous update? or Use the value anyways? The answer to this question, is established by the "Timeout Fallback Options". If you do not want to repeat the previous location, you probably want to set it accordingly here.

Hope this helps!!

Comment

Btraced updated

Btraced 1.1 in app store!!!!

Comment

I can report successful data uploading to Homeseer. Sweet! Let's see how the battery does. As you can tell, I'm pretty excited. This really has the potential to change home automation in general.

Comment

Steve, is it possible to have two people using btraced? I seem to have trouble adding my wife's phone...I even tried changing the web server user for hers without luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
                        Steve, is it possible to have two people using btraced? I seem to have trouble adding my wife's phone...I even tried changing the web server user for hers without luck.
                        jayman,

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to. You would use the same HS web access guest account, but when your wife's phone downloads the first time it should have an unrecognized device ID, so it should send the message back to her phone and you should see a new device ID on the BTraced tab of the Snevl Latitude web page. In other words, it should be just follow that part of the process again.

There is nothing I do to distinguish users. Rather, it should be the BTraced report of the device ID. Everything I do is the same no matter.

I am somewhat concerned about things stepping on each other (e.g., her phone downloading at the same time yours does), as I don't honestly know what kind of problems will happen. However, it sounds like you are not getting to that point.

Steve

EDIT - Also, I know Gogs was Beta testing with more than one phone, so I know it works. I will continue to try and help though. Perhaps when it's daytime in Gogs' timezone he can chime in too.

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                          jayman,

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to. You would use the same HS web access guest account, but when your wife's phone downloads the first time it should have an unrecognized device ID, so it should send the message back to her phone and you should see a new device ID on the BTraced tab of the Snevl Latitude web page. In other words, it should be just follow that part of the process again.

There is nothing I do to distinguish users. Rather, it should be the BTraced report of the device ID. Everything I do is the same no matter.

I am somewhat concerned about things stepping on each other (e.g., her phone downloading at the same time yours does), as I don't honestly know what kind of problems will happen. However, it sounds like you are not getting to that point.

Steve

EDIT - Also, I know Gogs was Beta testing with more than one phone, so I know it works. I will continue to try and help though. Perhaps when it's daytime in Gogs' timezone he can chime in too.
                          Maybe it's my wife's phone. She has an iphone 5. I tried resetting it and reput in the settings like 5 or 6 times with no avail. It's weird because when I first set it up with my phone there was a construction zone sign until I put in the right settings. On her phone it just says "live: 0/6"...

Comment

All seems fine btraced connect but when i run The scrip i get this

Event Trigger "SnevlLatitude Process BTraced"
                            15-12-2012 02:58:24 Event Running script in background: SnevlLatitude.vb("BTMain","")
                            15-12-2012 02:58:24 Event Deleting event after run: "SnevlLatitude SnevlLatitude Process BTraced"
                            15-12-2012 02:58:24 Error SnevlLatitude: Failure parsing new BTraced XML
                            15-12-2012 02:58:24 Error System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value to add was out of range.Parameter name: value at System.DateTime.Add(Double value, Int32 scale) at System.DateTime.AddSeconds(Double value) at scriptcode11.scriptcode11.linux_epoch_time(String secs) at scriptcode11.scriptcode11.BTMain(String dummy)
                            Best,
                            Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

I'm going to contact the BTraced guys, and mention your problem. The beta test they did with jbbtex and gogs was pretty limited, and so it may be that something slipped through.

I assume your phone is not an iPhone 5?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob.Sand View Post
                                All seems fine btraced connect but when i run The scrip i get this

Event Trigger "SnevlLatitude Process BTraced"
                                15-12-2012 02:58:24 Event Running script in background: SnevlLatitude.vb("BTMain","")
                                15-12-2012 02:58:24 Event Deleting event after run: "SnevlLatitude SnevlLatitude Process BTraced"
                                15-12-2012 02:58:24 Error SnevlLatitude: Failure parsing new BTraced XML
                                15-12-2012 02:58:24 Error System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value to add was out of range.Parameter name: value at System.DateTime.Add(Double value, Int32 scale) at System.DateTime.AddSeconds(Double value) at scriptcode11.scriptcode11.linux_epoch_time(String secs) at scriptcode11.scriptcode11.BTMain(String dummy)
                                Ugh. Sorry about that. That sounds like it should be easy to track down. The XML file it tried to parse and process should be in the data\SnevlLatitude\BTraced directory. Can you zip that up and send it to me? (snevl at msn dot com) I promise to respect your privacy.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X