Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supported Smarthome Modems/Controllers? Which one...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Smarthome Modems/Controllers? Which one...

Are all the controllers (PLC/PLM) supported by the plugin equally? Any recommendations on what to buy today?

Smarthome now offers 4 different insteon controllers:

2412U--$79.99--INSTEON PowerLinc Modem, USB
    2414U--$69.99--PowerLinc Controller - INSTEON USB Interface
    2413U--$99.99--PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON USB Interface (Dual-Band)
    2413S--$89.99--PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON Serial Interface (Dual-Band)

Far as I can tell, my current (OLD) PLM is dead (although I am not sure how to actually *tell* that...). It was a replacement for the "replacement PLC" (which died) of the "ORIGINAL PLC", which was RMA'ed due to firmware:

2412S - INSTEON PowerLinc Modem, Serial (purchased Nov 2008)
    2414U - INSTEON POWERLINC CONTROLLER USB (purchased Feb 2006)
    2414U - INSTEON POWERLINC CONTROLLER USB (purchased Jul 2005)

I am using the 2412S PLM and have had no major problems lately. Using 1.3 of the plugin.

Mark will have to answer about the dual band 2413 PLM.

Comment

Maybe try emailing Mark in case he doesn't see this and the update this thread as this is good info to know.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hey Guys,

If you have a physical serial port available, I would definite go with a serial based version. The USB versions use the FTDI serial to usb chipset which is a little flacky. USB disconnects are not uncommon; that said, i did add code to the plugin to reconnect the usb plm/plc when necessary; basically a work around to fix a hardware issue.

I can't say for sure if the new dual-band devices are compatible with the plugin, but i bet they are.

That said, Smarthome is sending me one of the new dual-band PLMs (ironically i asked for the USB based one so i could see if it is any better than the older usb devices). They have more internal memory which will allow for more links (ie groups and registered devices). It also has the wireless AP built-in which is suppose to help with the overall wireless network performance.

I would definitely avoid the older PLC (2414U). they're old technology and slower to send and respond, and require the smarthome SDM software layer; probably the reason for the slowness.

if you want sometime tried and true go with another 2412S.

did you try resetting your current PLM and re-register one device to see if you control it?
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

FYI: The 2414U will not work with Windows Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit. I found this out awhile back from Smarthome. They said the SDM is not compatible with those versions. That is why I bought a 2412S and have had few if any problems with the PLM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler
            I would suggest the new 2413U which will connect directly to your pc using a usb cable. HS has its own webserver that you connect to via wifi (assuming you have wifi) using whatever device you like. You can then use the Insteon Lighting Plugin.

hope this helps, if not, please give us more info your set up or plans
            OK thanks, it just sohappens I have that already. Ironically I bought some Insteon stuff to mess around with, then found Homeseer and became totally mesmerized.

So now I have a Pro 100 (which I got after the 2412N) and am looking to connect it my insteon Lighting which used the 2412N before.

Basically I am working backwords from the purchase because I didnt know HS existed.

Now I plan to integrate HS with my GE Networx 8e with insteon for lighting. I'm toying with Mainlobby too for some other things, but my eyes are too big for my stomach right now

Thanks again.

Comment

Uses for the 2412N?

I am in the same situation as Mkotlarz, but this thread seems to have ended. I have a 2412N from a previous installation and now I would like to use HS on my PC. Shouldn't the HS be able to send commands over ethernet for controlling my insteon devices (via the 2412N)?

Comment

someone would need to write a plugin that would send cmds via the appropriate protocol (http, etc) to control the 2412N. The current PLM plugin is not that plugin.

a 2413u or 2413s @ $80 might be an easier solution.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
                X