Polling devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling devices

Is there a way to get your plug-in to poll a device for current status. This relates back to my pool level sensor and the messages I seem to be missing sometimes. When my event decides the pool needs water, I'd like to poll the sensor to make sure it is really low. A missed message caused me to overfill the pool the other day, and while I think I fixed that problem (I now key off the device status rather than the link activate/deactivate it sends), an all-around better approach would be to poll the UMI32 periodically.

yes you can either

(1) use the "UPB Action > Poll Device State" from an event

or

(2) select the device you want to poll from the device management page then click the "Poll devices for status" button

Comment

That should help---one thing: is poll device state a synchronous action or is it asynchronous (i.e. if there are additional event actions do they happen immediately or do they wait for the event state to be returned?)?

Comment

That should help---one thing: is poll device state a synchronous action or is it asynchronous (i.e. if there are additional event actions do they happen immediately or do they wait for the event state to be returned?)?

Comment

it's asynchronous, the action won't wait for the result of the state request

Comment

polling error

Attempting to add a poll all to an event gives the following error:Event Time Triggered Events 7:25 AM plugin action failed:Input string was not in a correct format.

Comment

Originally posted by Overst View Post
              Attempting to add a poll all to an event gives the following error:Event Time Triggered Events 7:25 AM plugin action failed:Input string was not in a correct format.
              Try to select a specific device and then select back "All", that should fix the problem. I will fix this problem properly in the next version.

Comment

Is there a way to poll a device for its actual status? From a script? There are times when UPBspud is not accurately reflecting the status of an actual device. For instance, if you manually dim a light from a wall switch that does not have the capability of reporting its device's load after a manual change (PCS KPLD7), then UPBspud plugin has no way of knowing how dim the light is, so it reflects the HS device as OFF, even though it is on (dim).
                tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                  Is there a way to poll a device for its actual status? From a script? There are times when UPBspud is not accurately reflecting the status of an actual device. For instance, if you manually dim a light from a wall switch that does not have the capability of reporting its device's load after a manual change (PCS KPLD7), then UPBspud plugin has no way of knowing how dim the light is, so it reflects the HS device as OFF, even though it is on (dim).
                  Please stop posting the same question in every thread.
                  As stated above to poll a UPB device you can either:

or

(2) select the device you want to poll from the device management page then click the "Poll devices for status" button

As the UPB plugin implement the following function in its interface for (2), it is also available from script

Code:
                  public IPlugInAPI.PollResultInfo PollDevice(int dvref)

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

Please stop posting the same question in every thread.
                    As stated above to poll a UPB device you can either:

or

As the UPB plugin implement the following function in its interface for (2), it is also available from script

Code:
                    public IPlugInAPI.PollResultInfo PollDevice(int dvref)
                    Thank you for your response. The script call is what I was looking for, and I could not find any documentation nor forum entry describing it. I'll give it a try.

Not everyone that might have an answer is following every discussion. What is the problem with posting a request in several different discussions relevant to the question?
                    tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

Try to select a specific device and then select back "All", that should fix the problem. I will fix this problem properly in the next version.
                      Also, (1) use the "UPB Action > Poll Device State" from an event still doesn't work
                      tenholde

Comment

The following worked for me to poll a UPB Device: hs.PluginFunction("UPBSpud", "", "PollDevice", {1581})

Spud, thanks for your help. Great plugin.
                        tenholde

Comment

spud,

The poll does not appear to work for a PCS KPLD7 7-button Load Controller. This device does control a load, but when I request a poll via script call, no UPB poll request is transmitted. The .upe entry for these devices show:

Code:
                          Manufacturer=PCS  (1)
                          Product ID=KPL[B]D[/B]7   (75)
                          Kind=Keypad   (1)
                          [B]# channels=1[/B]
                          # transmit=7
                          # recieve = 16
                          I'm guessing that this is being treated as a no-load controller, so no poll request is sent. Could you look at this to see if the KPLD7 can be polled, and if it is a straight-forward change to make to the plugin?

Thanks,

tenholde
                          tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post

Also, (1) use the "UPB Action > Poll Device State" from an event still doesn't work
                            spud: I was wrong about the Event Action. It works for most devices, I was trying it for the KPLD7, which is the exception.

tenholde
                            tenholde

Comment

I need to know how to handle state report messages from keypads.
                              Please install version beta 3.0.0.51, and record one debug log for each of these scenarios
                              (a) polling keypad while load is Off
                              (b) polling keypad while load is 100%
                              (c) polling keypad while load is around 50%

Comment

Working...
                              X