HS/Arduino panel build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS/Arduino panel build

Well time to put the Megas into a 28" cabinet and get it wired. The whole cabinet will be run off a Car Battery topped up by a trickle charger.

1) I3 PC running HS. Has SSD and external laptop PSU. I'm currently using an invertor but more research to be done to see if I can work out how the ID pin works so I can get rid of the plug pack.

2) Two relay boards

3) Two PWM boards for LED lighting (12 outputs)

4) Two beaglebones, one for the logitech media server and the other for Asterisk PBX

5) GSM modem for text messaging.

The panel can be mounted into a wall cavity to make it look a little neater. Waiting for a 5 port switch for ethernet. Used LOTS of rivnuts for the standoffs. Has been an interesting exercise so far.. More to come :-)
    Attached Files
    HS 2.2.0.11

impressive!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Looking great!
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Nice,
        looks clean !
        Need to make something like it myself as well.

Comment

Awesome!

I am in the same boat as you, I have a panel that I'll be putting my Mega into (in the shop), which will monitor all the doors (man and overhead) as well as a relay bank to control all the overhead doors. I picked up some DIN rail and some DIN mounts. I was leary about the rivnut route...especially since I like to move things around in the initial setup.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Comment

`Hi guys

I had a long hard think about DIN rail v's RIVNUT. I sat for hours staring at the box.. I then looked into my box of goodies...The DIN rail mounts have not turned up from ALIexpress, I had rivnuts and a number of M3 standoffs from some old CISCO gear I trashed and I was itching to get a start.

I've just picked up a 5 port switch that I need to install and another small relay board (has a timer on it for a heater, need the timer incase the Mega output gets stuck on)..will limit heater time to 30 minutes at a time.

The box is a 28" ELK M1 alarm box.

I've ordered a CAR adapter for the HP Mini PC, its 12v to 18.5V as I plan to run the whole lot off a car battery in the garage. This is a "poor mans UPS" :-) I plan to float charge the battery with an 8 stage charger. I thought I could use a "boost device", little did I know HP have introduced the ID pin...its a communications message from the power supply to PC to authenticate the supply...so you cant simply put 18.5V into it, you need an authentic plug pack...

With the testing I've done so far, the ethernet connectivity is WAY more reliable than USB. I've run 10 second relay tests for a number of days and its never missed a beat...

I'm currently in the US again on business, will give another update when I get back....
            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Hi Petez69, good project. Just an information, what kind of Car Battery and trickle charger do you use? Can you take a photo please of these?
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rinpe View Post
                Hi Petez69, good project. Just an information, what kind of Car Battery and trickle charger do you use? Can you take a photo please of these?
                Thanks
                Hi Mate....

I will get approx 120AH deep cycle battery, it may be an AGM or lead acid, not sure as it will depend what my retailer has in stock. It will be a Projecta 8 stage charger which can be left connected across the battery.

I'll take a photo when I get back home and buy the battery. I had a power outage yesterday and the GSM module didnt turn back on.. More work to be done !

Pete
                HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Now have the 5 port switcing installed and a tiny bit of cable management :-) The GSM modem is still hanging from the front as I'm waiting for a new SIM card to replace with a 3G unit...

Waiting for the 10 way fuse block to arrive from China, have some small 6 way bus-bars to install for the incoming 12V..
                  Attached Files
                  HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Can you give me some information on the terminal block board you have for the Mega2560? I bought one similar but it needed the mega to be upside down so didn't allow for the ethernet shield.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Mate

I got these from e-bay, have a look for "mega terminal" on aliexpress, they have the same units up there I purchased.

Cheers..
                      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
                        Hi Mate

I got these from e-bay, have a look for "mega terminal" on aliexpress, they have the same units up there I purchased.

Cheers..
                        I just ordered 3...

This is the mounting system I am putting together. Just a piece of scrap 3/16" flat bar I had in the shop, drilled and tapped some #4-40 holes to install the standoffs to mount the board to. The din rail mounts were ordered from Aliexpress and the din rail I had kicking around from some equipment I tore down in the past. I may be trimming down the 3/16" steel to the width of the Arduino, I had it quite large as it worked as a wide stable base for testing new ideas with having an Arduino sitting on a bench, but it'll be trimmed down to fit in the panel.

I do like the idea of a 12v battery providing the main power and then a small power supply to keep the battery topped up. Similar to a DSC alarm system, that way if the line power goes down you can run off the battery until it comes back up. I primarily plan on using my Arduino in the shop for monitoring of sensors and control of garage doors and one small RGB strip. The house will be for motion sensors and controlling a few RGB strips in the kitchen.
                        Attached Files

Comment

HI Mate

I bought a bunch of DIN rail stuff to mount the Arduinos but I went a different way. I do like what you've done, I'll be interested to see the finished product :-)

I bought a cheap 155W 12V PSU on ALi like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/in-s...608.0.0.cDrASx

These will trickle charge a sealed battery, hoping this might be a good backup system. I've moved into my Apartment a few weeks ago and hope to be able to install my HS box over christmas.
                          HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Very cool. I'm always interested to see progress photos. I'll start a new thread when I get mine going...right now I've got about 10 CAT6 cables and about 30 4-wire alarm wire running to the panel with tape flags stating what they're running to.

Comment

I so hear you !!! :-) I've got to install all of the PIR units, the standalone Weigand access control reader and a bunch of other things.

One thing I want to do first is better protect my garage door. To access my property you can either come in via the garage door or front door, there is no other access. I bought some electric door bolts on Ali and need to make up the brackets to mount them onto the wall next to the door and then make brackets up for the door to allow the bolts to engage....

These bolts will be driven by the light in the door controller ( I got this idea from a guy on Youtube. Of course there will be an opto hanging from it and going into HS so I know when the door has been activated. Also I need to install the door switches for fully closed and fully open...

I need to put an event in for dusk to let me know if I've left the garage door open :-) Sometimes I forget as we are in a gated community, no one can get to the door :-)

Make sure you post photos !! I do like your mounting plates. I used some aluminium I cut up, while its not totally optimal, I had to make something with the tools I had....

Pete
                              HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
                              X