Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to detect that a garage door is open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info all. I think I have finally got this down.
    1) I need a sensor to detect current status of the garage door. Open or close
    2) I need a way to trigger the garage door opener

I have ordered a DS10a to connect to a Seco garage door magnet. That will be used to detect the open/close state of the door itself.

I have ordered X10 Pro Universal contact closure and WGL X10-RF (USB) adapter. This is what I will use to trigger the door opener. The only RF anything I have right now is 802.11 wifi....

My door has a safety sensor so it will not close if something is in the way.

Let me know if you see any potential issues with this setup. I should have all my bits this week so I can get this installed this weekend!

Thanks!

-Ray

Comment

Do you have a link to the adapter your purchased? The W800 is one of the better whole house RF receivers coupled with the ACRF2 plugin.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I purchased a W800USB (P/N41032).

Now that I have diagrammed my home setup out on Visio, I see why so many folks are interested in 4/8 port serial-ethernet adapters (Quatech?). I'm out of serial ports on the HS2 box so went with USB instead....

-Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Do you have a link to the adapter your purchased? The W800 is one of the better whole house RF receivers coupled with the ACRF2 plugin.

I was reading about the ACRF2 plug in last evening. It looked like (very simply) that this plugin improved response time to RFX10 devices. Is that the real benefit of this plugin?

Thanks again!!

-Ray

Comment

If you use the correct magnet it's a breeze. This magnet is made for the garage door and mine detect with a gap of 2 inches.
            http://www.smarthome.com/7455/Garage...SM-226L/p.aspx
            And it's only $12
            I also use this kind of switch. I used one for 12 years and it never missed a beat. Only replaced it because I had my garage floor re-poured and forgot to remove it. They broke the switch when they took it off. I think they took it off with a sledge hammer. Mine is hardwired to my homevision inputs, but you could hook this up in many different ways hardwired or wireless. If any of you are using insteon, I know I have seen a kit that includes the insteon IO module.
            - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
            Web Site
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              While we are on the subject of garage doors. I have two Liftmaster garage door openers. They are about 6-7 years old. I have two cars with Homeminder built in garage door openers and two garage door openers in the other two cars. About one month ago my wife noticed the range on her opener was diminished to a point where she had to be about 5 feet from the garage door to open it. I noticed a similiar thing with the other garage door opener and the two built in Homeminders. I replaced the batteries on her garage door opener. The homeminder uses the car 12VDC voltage. It continued to work with a diminished range. I looked on the Liftmaster site and they recommend an external antenna. Problem is that the home is brick and do not feel like drilling for an external antenna. I have extended the antenna straight up utilizing a straw but its still about the same. I would prefer to keep the transmitters / receiver at this time. The range sometimes (about 10%) works ok from the court but mostly (90%) doesn't. Any suggestions?
              Can you not drill a small hole for a wire to the antenna through the frame for your garage door. I'm assuming that is wood or at least non-brick.
              - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
              Web Site
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Ericryherd View Post
                I attached a HM-DW001 Door/window to one of my garage doors and it works OK but the clearance is really tight. I found that the magnet (attached to the door) has to be less than 1 inch from the main unit (attached to the wall). This was pretty tricky to find a spot that worked that didn't bind the door somewhere.
                There is barely 1/4" clearance between the door and the main unit when the door opens and I am really concerned that when the temperature changes the door might start to contact it and break it (or the door).

Anyone have a better suggestion?
                I use a Sentrol sensor designed for the door track. It can be found on the GE security site.
                I have attached some Pics- I have three of these for my three Garage doors.
                Jim
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Rupp; December 29, 2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Seems to be the best of both worlds right there!

Personally, I use these:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-4...ow-sensor.aspx

I put the transmitter on the wall and the magnet on the edge of the door panel. They are good to gaps of 5/8" and TINY. Maybe an 1/8th thick.

I will try to get some pics...

THe batts last for 3 years or more and are a cheap 2032 batt when it comes to replacement.

Works with any 433Mhtz wireless alarm panel.
                  [quote=ka7gzr;950788]
                  Originally posted by Ericryherd View Post
                  I attached a HM-DW001 Door/window to one of my garage doors and it works OK but the clearance is really tight. I found that the magnet (attached to the door) has to be less than 1 inch from the main unit (attached to the wall). This was pretty tricky to find a spot that worked that didn't bind the door somewhere.
                  There is barely 1/4" clearance between the door and the main unit when the door opens and I am really concerned that when the temperature changes the door might start to contact it and break it (or the door).

Anyone have a better suggestion?

I use a Sentrol sensor designed for the door track. It can be found on the GE security site.
                  I have attached some Pics- I have three of these for my three Garage doors.
                  Jim
                  Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by rrepic View Post
                    I was reading about the ACRF2 plug in last evening. It looked like (very simply) that this plugin improved response time to RFX10 devices. Is that the real benefit of this plugin?

Thanks again!!

-Ray
                    Yes, and it's also the only way to use this hardware with HomeSeer.

Comment

I use Craftsman Wireless Garage Door Monitor Sensor

I use Craftsman Wireless Garage Door Monitor Sensor (model # 53690). Basically it has the tilt sensor and I just soldered the leads from the DS10A to the tilt sensor. It is simple and works reliably.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Clean Install!
                        Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

reviving an old thread... sorry...

what would you call this type of switch?
                          id like to find them in the dyi form so they are cheaper... but still for 413 each they arent bad....

http://www.techmall.com/ProductDetai...49591&Click=19
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I've never seen these in DIY versions as I've only seen this company offer these. The magnet and DS10A would be a less expensive option.

Comment

I've never seen these in DIY versions as I've only seen this company offer these. The magnet and DS10A would be a less expensive option.

i had that setup for a while.. and now and then my garage door will rock and slam and rip the magnet off... it gets frustrating...

so id rather figure a way to go permanent..

im gonna give a try using this..

http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...DOOR%20SWITCH/

fyi.. i have used them in the past to rewire my entire truck.. 100' box of wire loom cost me $17 where at autozone 4' = $10!!!! plus connectors and all.. they are a great source for stuff....

so ordering up 2 now and will post pics and all later once they come in...
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by ssk View Post
                                I use Craftsman Wireless Garage Door Monitor Sensor (model # 53690). Basically it has the tilt sensor and I just soldered the leads from the DS10A to the tilt sensor. It is simple and works reliably.
                                I had something like that with a tilt sensor, but this last winter KILLED the DS10A. Poor batteries maybe?

Oh well.

--Dan
                                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X