How to Open my Garage Door Automatically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Open my Garage Door Automatically

Does anyone have their garage door open automatically when you pull in to the driveway. How are you doing it, and is it secure? I have a significant automation infrastructure in my home but I lack some sort of RF device that can identify me or my wife's car. I like the RFID unit from iautomate but $500 bucks is pretty steep and I'm sure they'll get cheaper eventually. They recently installed a system on the executive parking garage where I work. People just pull up to the door and it opens. I'm sure what ever it is, cost a fortune. I think it's some sort of long range prox system. Since I don't get to park in the executive parking garage or for that matter even associate with anyone who does, I haven't seen one of the remotes up close to see who makes it.

Rob

This device has always intrigued me. You flash your high beams 2 times to activate the door opener.
    http://www2.northerntool.com/product..._200319741.htm
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      This device has always intrigued me. You flash your high beams 2 times to activate the door opener.
      http://www2.northerntool.com/product..._200319741.htm
      yeah but unless your highbeams are encrypted I wouldnt use that!!!!

I have too many tools in the garage to have something so easy to get into...
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

It's coded just like your opener.

Comment

Hah - I also originally thought it was light activated. (DOH!)

But - if you have to flip the highbeam switch you might as well push the door opener button.

The cheapest way to go would be maybe one of those vehicle detection units combined with an RF motion sensor under your steering column. (So it detects feet movement like when you hit the brakes).

i.e. - if HS sees there is a vehicle coming up the driveway, and HS then also sees the motion sensor signal within the next 30 seconds, then open the door.

But - this would not be very secure. I suppose if you used two motion sensors on two different house codes you'd be a little more secure.

i.e. - detect vehicle and then receive B1 ON, C16 On within 20 seconds. That would at least prevent any idiot with a PalmPad remote from guessing the house codes. (But it would not stop the Uber-Geek).

The reason I'm also suggesting the driveway vehicle sensor is so the motion sensor activity only matters when a vehicle comes up the driveway (as opposed to when you are just moving your car around in the driveway).

I wonder - if your car had built-in bluetooth, if that could be used as a proximity indicator? Hmmmm...

Steve C.

Comment

I'm missing something

Can someone articulate the objective here? Is this a "just because I can" kind of thing? I kind of like the feeling of control I get by pressing the garage door remote control button. Not to mention the exercise!
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

My push button broke so I ordered one because they wanted nearly this much for a remote. Also the remote on my Mustang convertible's visor kept blowing off.

Comment

RFID is pricey, but I tell you it is one of the greatest, most WAF approved expenditures. I live on 2.5 acres in the mountains at 7,000ft. My back gate is electric and tied into my HS system. the gate is 300' from the garage. I have RFID tags on all 3 cars and my quad. When it is 8 degrees outside to not have to get out and open or close the gate, to have the garage door open automatically, depending on time or temperature (thanks to my 1-wire network)schedules. (i don't want the garage door to necessarily open everytime I come on the property).

RFID is a wonderful technology
                Over The Hill
                What Hill?
                Where?
                When?
                I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

I agree with Jack. The RFID is the next killer app but I only wish they would reduce the price and attempt to sell more units.

Comment

With Walmart mandating that all their suppliers go to RFID inventory control, I bet we are not far off from a big price drop.

12 months, maybe?

Was that discussed on the board previously?

Steve C.

Comment

That doesn't mean the price will drop, it may make the prices go up to fill supply and demand
                      Over The Hill
                      What Hill?
                      Where?
                      When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

I thought about this, and have even been tempted by RFID, but the truth is, maybe sometimes when I come home I DON'T want the garage door to open. Maybe there is a security reason, maybe some other reason. Also, can you REALLY make it smart enough to not open the garage door again when you are leaving, or if you happen to drive down the street then drive past your house? I think it might be more trouble than its worth.

A long time ago, I came up with the philosophy that if a function in HA wouldn't make my life easier for me, I wouldn't do it. The auto garage door has always been one that didn't pass the muster. (Now auto close I do use, with LOTS of safety backups.)

Comment

anogee,

with RFID and some scripting, all that you mention can be under control. I have the garage door handled in a couple ways. I use mainlobby and a touch screen. I have several options for leaving, since I have to open the gate regardless. I can choose to open the garage door on arrival, or not open it (if I know ahead of time I will be leaving again) also time of day, if for example the two nights I bowl, i know aproximately what time I will be arriving so when RFID sees me coming down the road and it is after 8pm, the garage door opens. Then I always have the option of calling the house and telling Susi to open the door when RFID is triggered that my vehicle has arrived. Because I have scripts to close the gate and garage door on the tag leaving the reader, if I were to drive by, yes the gate and door would open but then as soon as I was out of reader range they would again close. I also have it setup to call my cell on successful close. But since I live in the country, on a dirt road, the chances of me driving by are minimal, not like I live on a busy city street

Jack
                          Over The Hill
                          What Hill?
                          Where?
                          When?

Comment

I guess I just want to be like one of those executives who drives up to the garage and the door opens like magic. I have been thinking about this for quite some time and most of the issues mentioned are concerns of mine.

Sometimes I may pull into the driveway and not want the garage door to open. As far as it working based on conditionals and such, we are just not habitual enough to really make that happen. We come and go at all different times.

I guess I'm not the only one who has pondered this and came to the conclusion that it's just not something that should be automated. As far as RFID goes once the prices drop I have lots of other plans for it.

The head light deal seems interesting. I wonder if I have to tie into the car headlight circuit somehow so that it gets a 12V input when I hit the light switch. That would be pretty darn easy.

I'm going to start another thread and ask a slightly different question.

Comment

Working...
                            X