No announcement yet.

HomeSeer as your alarm system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here our HA started off with a Honeywell DIY security system (LYNX Touch). We added a ZWave card which gave it minimal control over Lights, Locks and T-stats.

All security devices (on doors, windows, garage doors, smoke, fire, CO) are wireless but not on ZWave frequency. Honeywell warns against depending on ZWave for security and/or Safety purposes. It is monitored for $10/month and the homeowners insurance likes that. Its all underwriter labs approved.

The LYNX has a single output trigger that I utilize to tell Homeseer when the alarm is ARMED or disARMED so that Homeseer can managed locking and unlocking the doors. But the systems don't intermingle much more than that. Both systems can send me a text within seconds of an event happening.

I feel real comfortable knowing that a Honeywell dedicated system is managing the home security. HA is a hobby, lets face it, and a powerful tool to automate the things around the house.
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by msbreton View Post
      iPad mini wall mounted with frame running HSTouch for disarm keypad when Arm Stay
      I'd be interested in how you configured the ipad mini. Things that seem to me would be important (without having thought it all through):

- screen can go dark, but light up immediately when needed to enter code
      - not able to get out of HStouch (unless you have a reason to)
      - monitoring availability of HStouch and inform me if it has failed for some reason - you don't want to need to disarm the alarm and find the virtual keypad isn't available.

I'm sure there's other considerations that I haven't thought of yet. But I'm sure tempted to take this route.....

Paul

Comment

Here's how I setup the iPad mini in regard to your points:

- screen can go dark, but light up immediately when needed to enter code
        HS sets the screen to black whenever we are not home and or at night. Touch it brings you right to the main screen so you can disarm. If we come home, HS brings it right to the main screen (as soon as a door is opened)

- not able to get out of HStouch (unless you have a reason to)
        It is possible to get out of HStouch on the iPad mini but the users are the family so I wasn't worried about locking this down. If it happens, they just touch the HStouch app and the are back in. I do use several other apps (Ring, Arlo, Sonos, Hue, and one for my reef tank). Those apps are launched using the URI via buttons in HSTouch screens. Then it's easy to go back to HS touch by the little back text iOS putts in the upper left corner.

- monitoring availability of HStouch and inform me if it has failed for some reason - you don't want to need to disarm the alarm and find the virtual keypad isn't available.
        I've not had this happen, with HStouch server. I've had HStouch the app crash or fail rarely, but we just close it on the iPad mini and reopen it.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Comment

I realize this is a somewhat old thread but I thought I would mention my situation.

I've mostly focused on security. I've been using Blue Iris for control of my cameras. BI does a good job of alerting on motion triggers and captures snaps or videos of the trigger.

Next, I got HS3 and HSTouch with designer. Added the Blue Iris Plugin for HS3. Added quite a few motion sensors and door/windows sensors. Integrated BI and HS so they each knew when the other triggered and each can control the other when a status changes.

I'm happy with the result. These two integrate nicely. Both BI and HS3 are running on the same Win10 server which does little else. All automatic updates turned off. Power fail recovery is orderly and reliable. No stability issues so far.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
            Cheapest monitoring I've used is alarmrelay.com $9/mo-$12/mo. So it ranges from $9-40/mo. So that will be a yearly saving of say $100-$400, depending on service.

I'll post back with updates when have more to report.
            Interested in how things have played out for you? Are you still using HS3 as your primary security system, and if so are you using alarmrelay.com for monitoring service?

regards,

Paul

Comment

Paul,
              I'm meant to post back here, but never seem to have the time. Several people have contacted me about this via pm since I posted this.

Well using hs3 as my alarm system has turned out better than I thought. I haven't had any issues and complete control. I don't use professional monitoring service because in my state when the alarm triggers, the company calls you first anyway to verify and then only calls the police. So if an I get a alert from BLSecurity, I first look at my cameras to check things out. Remember this home is out of state, so I need to rely heavily on cameras.

-Locks: Arm/Disarm the BLSecurity(Plugin). I also setup Guest codes for cleaners, etc.
              -Also have a quick access Arm/Disarm button created for HSTouch on my phone in case I need to do it remotely.
              -I don't update z-wave plugin and HS3 unnecessarily. If everything is working and stable, I leave it as is. Comcast and ATT both offer z-wave security systems, but non of it is user configurable. Partly because folks can't tinker with is and create stability issues. So I don't tinker on my primary machine. If I want to test new plugins or do major updates, I first put it on my "test machine".

Using HS3 as my security has worked out so well, I plan to implement this at my primary home and my parents home also.
              Tom
              baby steps...starting again with HS3
              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Just a post here form November, 2015 in CePro magazine and a suggested must read.

DIY vs Pro Monitored Home Security
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Interesting read. It seems to me that based on the price of panels and wireless sensors integrating a real alarm panel into HS may be the best way to go. This assumes that you can get complete status from all of your alarm panel sensors so HS can monitor each and every one. So from that point your security system is basically a big multiplexor for all of your sensors.
                  • Wireless sensors for alarm panels tend to be less expensive, have longer battery life, better tamper protection and are smaller than their Z-Wave counterparts. If your already hard wired its even less expensive.
                  • Security systems, have multi hour battery backup built in. Unless you have a very low powered Z-Wave controller or a really large backup system you're not likely to keep your HS system running for more than a few minutes.
                  • Although most people don't know this you can integrate your existing smoke and CO detectors into an alarm panel as long as your existing detectors are wired together. This is because major manufacture of detectors, Kidde, has a device that tie into the detector alarm string and can trigger external devices. I use one to release our inside garage doors magnetic door holder so the door will close if the smoke detectors are triggered. I have a second one that will alert HS that the smoke detector has gone off. I also can release the inside garage door whenever the house changes occupancy state or when shutting down for the night.
                    One caveat, this may not function if you loose power which is why using the alarm panels own detectors can be better.
                  • If your Z-Wave system is down the alarm panel can still make the call. HOWEVER, to be on the safe side invest in a cellular modem and don't depend on a landline or VOIP service. The bad guys are smart enough to cut your hardlines before entering your house if they think you have an alarm system. However you may want to have the security system delay before making it's calls so you can verify the issue.

Anyway, I'll wait till I get all of the rest of my HS system up and running before I look at putting in an alarm panel.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                  Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                  Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                  3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                  4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                  3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                  SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Yeah my hs3 machine is fanless sd unit, with a huge battery back up( hs3 & znet).
                    I'm using the zwave smoke/co2 dectectors.
                    There are gsm ip router for power failure and gsm auto dialers to call security companies that I had seen a while back.

This started because I needed something quickly even though I had all ademco sensors, panel, and smokes. Now looking back it's worked out well, but may not be for everyone.
                    Tom
                    baby steps...starting again with HS3
                    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by msbreton View Post
                      iPad mini wall mounted with frame running HSTouch for disarm keypad when Arm Stay
                      Looking at doing the customized ipad client wall mounted. Do you use an ipad at each door, or one more centrally mounted that you walk over to? I'm trying to decide how to best approach this, my house is relatively long and thin, front and rear doors far away from each other, a long hallway between the two. I could do ipads at each door (read: expensive to do right, with proper wall mounts, etc), or do one in the hallway between the two.

i've never owned a security system before, and I've seen them done both ways where you walk over to a more central panel, and where there's a panel at each door, so I'm not sure what the best approach is to take...

paul

Comment

I have 1 iPad mini mounted on the wall. This is the primary alarm interface (as well as all other house controls) and includes status for all the door/window sensors, locks, alarm status, arm, disarm, and panic functions. Additionally, at each door I have an Insteon 6 button switch that controls the door light as well as buttons for Arm Away, Arm Stay, Panic, and All Lights on. Disarm is normally done when unlocking the door via the z-wave based Kwikset locks. If you can unlock the door, the alarm will disarm (for primary users). So, normally you don't have to work to the iPad to disarm on entry. Just for disarm from Arm Stay mode.

Comment

That makes sense, and gives me things to think about. Many thanks!

Paul

Comment

I love techie projects as much as the next guy, but when it comes to my security system I want rock-solid reliability. A DSC 64 zone panel is dirt cheap and works well with wired and wireless sensors.
                            Add an envisalink board and you have full HS3 integration.
                            Patching together a security system with a hodgepodge of general purpose devices (PCs, ipads, rpis, etc) is not a good idea IMHO. I use Insteon extensively in my home but there's no way I'm trusting it as an alarm system.
                            Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdom View Post
                              I love techie projects as much as the next guy, but when it comes to my security system I want rock-solid reliability. A DSC 64 zone panel is dirt cheap and works well with wired and wireless sensors.
                              Patching together a security system with a hodgepodge of general purpose devices (PCs, ipads, rpis, etc) is not a good idea IMHO. I use Insteon extensively in my home but there's no way I'm trusting it as an alarm system.
                              Cheers!
                              ditto

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdom View Post
                                Cheers!
                                On one hand I agree. But then again on the other hand, it's making an assumption that the security system is the be-all line of defence to make sure your house is safe, which really isn't the case. It's an additional line of defence, for sure, but if someone really wants to get into your house, they're going to get in, alarm or not. It's a deterrent to make it less likely someone will do so.

That being the case, I think I'll likely go for flexibility, features, and working the way I want it to. I went back and forth a few times on this, but I think this is where I'm coming to.

Comment

Working...
                                X