• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venstar Thermostat Plugin for HS3

What:
    ~Venstar Thermostat Plugin for HS3.

Why:
    ~A need for a plugin under HS3 for new Venstar thermostats. (I am not aware of a current HS3 plugin available).

<hr>
    I started this thread to document the progress of the Venstar Thermostat plugin for HS3. Once I have something working I will post a beta version for anyone wanting to try it out. I currently have the Venstar T7900 thermostat to use for testing but if anyone is interested in testing using a different model, I'll be open to making it compatible (as necessary).

Beta Release:
    ~TBD

Stable Release:
    ~TBD

<hr>

Progress:

2016-02-25: I have the Venstar T7900 installed and connected to Skyport cloud. I had some trouble as my WiFi wouldn't show connection in list but my router listed it (by MAC). I opened up TCP ports 9000-9002 & 41414 as directed and it connected to Skyport. I also turned on API in thermostat for plugin development.

Thanks, Matt

My model

I have the T5900. I have the sky port wifi module as well. I would love to try a beta.

Thanks Jon

QUOTE=mattm55;1230744]What:
    ~Venstar Thermostat Plugin for HS3.

Why:
    ~A need for a plugin under HS3 for new Venstar thermostats. (I am not aware of a current HS3 plugin available).

<hr>
    I started this thread to document the progress of the Venstar Thermostat plugin for HS3. Once I have something working I will post a beta version for anyone wanting to try it out. I currently have the Venstar T7900 thermostat to use for testing but if anyone is interested in testing using a different model, I'll be open to making it compatible (as necessary).

Beta Release:
    ~TBD

Stable Release:
    ~TBD

<hr>

Progress:

2016-02-25: I have the Venstar T7900 installed and connected to Skyport cloud. I had some trouble as my WiFi wouldn't show connection in list but my router listed it (by MAC). I opened up TCP ports 9000-9002 & 41414 as directed and it connected to Skyport. I also turned on API in thermostat for plugin development.

Thanks, Matt[/QUOTE]

Comment

Venstar vs Honeywell

Matt,

I really appreciate the effort you are making. I am totally new to Homeseer, but technically capable and now committed to the platform. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you can help with:

- Is or will your Venstar plugin be as robust as the existing support for Honeywell? I am trying to decide between Honeywell and Venstar. I love the idea that the api is open but also wondering if that makes the Venstar the best choice.

- Do you recommend I get a Windows or Linux based Homeseer PRO?

Thanks
      David

Comment

Originally posted by daviddc View Post
        Matt,

I really appreciate the effort you are making. I am totally new to Homeseer, but technically capable and now committed to the platform. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you can help with:
        David
        Great to hear. I got sidetracked for the moment with an Insteon issue but will back on the Venstar development shortly. Once I have something, even simple, I will put it out for testing.

- Is or will your Venstar plugin be as robust as the existing support for Honeywell? I am trying to decide between Honeywell and Venstar. I love the idea that the api is open but also wondering if that makes the Venstar the best choice.
        Well, that decision is ultimately up to you. I had a Honeywell (Honeywell TH9320WF5003 Wi-Fi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat) and liked it very much. Actually have it in a box as a backup of sorts. I might auction it at a later date. I didn't like 2 things about the Honeywell which made me switch to the Venstar.

1. No open API. There is now a HS plugin but if Honeywell changes their access, etc... it breaks the plugin. Support looks good on it so I wouldn't hesitate there. Also, it is ready to go now.

2. The Honeywell has a loud clicking when cycling on/off. With the tStat near where we sit, it was, annoying.

So, as robust. My goal is to be able to control the tStat and get as many features available to HS as I can. Then I want to mirror the stats to a db so there is historical data much like their Skycloud. So yes, I would say it will be as robust as the Honeywell. Now, I do have other projects going so if your looking for something immediate, go with the Honeywell.
        [/QUOTE]

- Do you recommend I get a Windows or Linux based Homeseer PRO?
        Ah, that would be your choice. I run off of Windows so I can test on that platform. I don't have a Linux setup for HS. That shouldn't discourage you as if your good with Linux, then go for it. Heck, with the RaspPI3 out, you might have a nice easy system build. That would be my route to setup as a test environment.
        -Matt
        Last edited by mattm55; March 29, 2016, 06:18 AM. Reason: tStat Model added

Comment

I have a few venstar tstats and would love to be able to use them natively with Homeseer!
          -Christopher
          PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by cadillackid View Post
            I have a few venstar tstats and would love to be able to use them natively with Homeseer!
            -Christopher
            OK, great to hear. When I have something for a beta, I'll post back.

Thanks, Matt

Comment

Following.

Have a Venstar thermostat that came with my new house and I would love to integrate with my HS3 install!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by LxMeister View Post
                Following.

Have a Venstar thermostat that came with my new house and I would love to integrate with my HS3 install!

Thanks in advance!
                That's great to hear. Mine has been working great. As always, I got sidetracked doing an (urgent request) race scoring program for our group but will get back on it when done.

Thanks, Matt

Comment

Add me to the Venstar list.

Like the look of the Tstat. Hopefully the plugin will be compatible with the T7850 too.

Thanks for you work.

Comment

Will do.

This wlll be a winter project for me as I have been pulled off to develop a sim racing scoring system. That is almost complete and will resume this Venstar plugin.

I will try to incorporate as many versions of Venstar tStats as I can as long as we get good feedback from users. I like my tStat over the Honeywell I had in it's place.

Matt

Comment

Venstar Voyager series

I'm looking at getting the T3900 which looks to also support the local API. I'm not concerned with a color or touch screen, so the voyage series looks pretty good. If I went with the wi-fi key in order to connect with Skyport, I should be able to have local API control and integration with Homeseer.

How's this plugin coming along and will you support the Voyager line of thermostats from Venstar?

Comment

I am also interested for a venstar plugin.
                        For the voyager series, the latest I have heard is that a z-wave key has gone in production and will be at the distributors in 2-3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by slbuck View Post
                          I'm looking at getting the T3900 which looks to also support the local API. I'm not concerned with a color or touch screen, so the voyage series looks pretty good. If I went with the wi-fi key in order to connect with Skyport, I should be able to have local API control and integration with Homeseer.

How's this plugin coming along and will you support the Voyager line of thermostats from Venstar?
                          This plugin is next on my list of "to-do's".

I don't know about the T3900 or other series but if the same API is used then we might benefit from compatibility or incompatibility? Time will tell. So all I can say is to install the plugin (once available) and test and provide feedback.

Matt

Comment

Venstar plugin

Hi Matt,

Just wanted to follow up to see if you had any further progress on the plugin for the Venstar?

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have the time now to devote to this project. I may pick it back up when things quiet down. If someone else wants to provide the "pi", that's fine.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X