HSPI_MoskusSample - An easier plugin sample [VB.NET]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonlof View Post
    Hi Moskus, this is one of the best initiatives that have been made in the forum. Let's hope we get more interesting plugins from new developers. Great work.
    im on
    Introduction for the really challenged C# users... but we WILL get you there course
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Great work Moskus. My two most frustrating aspect after getting my head around the architecture, are:

1. Parsing query strings in PostBacks from the config, trigger and action pages, hardcoding the text names of controls seems messy

2. Building those pages with complex config pages / multiple controls. Adding endless lines of manually coded HTML seems so frustrating when there are so many good HTML editors out there.

Any thoughts on trying to abstract some of these painful process in a class wrapper to make life easier?
      Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
        Great work Moskus. My two most frustrating aspect after getting my head around the architecture, are:

1. Parsing query strings in PostBacks from the config, trigger and action pages, hardcoding the text names of controls seems messy

2. Building those pages with complex config pages / multiple controls. Adding endless lines of manually coded HTML seems so frustrating when there are so many good HTML editors out there.

Any thoughts on trying to abstract some of these painful process in a class wrapper to make life easier?
        1. I'm not sure how you'll get around the need to name your controls. Or maybe I'm not getting what you're asking.

2. After I've gotten used to the way HS3 handles these pages, it does make sense. Yes, there is some quite good WYSIWYG editors out there, but they can't handle controls like this. Even Visual Studio or Blend does not handle jQueries like this do.

And remember: That is an option. If you want to build your pages in asp.net you still can!
        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by tonlof View Post
          Hi Moskus, this is one of the best initiatives that have been made in the forum. Let's hope we get more interesting plugins from new developers. Great work.
          That's the idea! Thanks for the support.
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post

For 1. I found that loading everything from control names to config settings into PED and then assigning them to variables when the plugin starts made a lot of sense.

For 2. I just struggled along until I got things functional (but it looks like cat vomit) So anything that can be helpful in building JQuery pages would be great.
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

i still am clueless on this and have not really dove in yet..

but one thing that would be nice is if you could do some kind of flow chart on how the files fit in...

sorry if it is there or if that is way too n00bish..
              but would be cool to see a chart showing this file points to the web part, etc...

i cant put my brain onto what does what but that is me..

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

No, I've actually had that very idea: A flow chart showing how everything is "connected".

But I don't have a working copy of Visio. The last time I used it was in 2003 or something. If you have any free alternatives I'd be happy to test them.

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                  No, I've actually had that very idea: A flow chart showing how everything is "connected".

But I don't have a working copy of Visio. The last time I used it was in 2003 or something. If you have any free alternatives I'd be happy to test them.
                  Why dont you click on the "Try" button on this page...

https://products.office.com/en-us/Vi...chart-software

oh yeah or open office - im using that stuff now...

https://www.maketecheasier.com/5-bes...crosoft-visio/
                  Last edited by TeleFragger; November 6, 2015, 04:40 PM. Reason: added alternatives

Comment

Isn't VS Community free?

That sounds like a great idea.
                    Last edited by donstephens; November 6, 2015, 05:57 PM.
                    Don

Comment

... well i have been reading up and free tutorials on the web and im still so far away.. hahahhaa...

anyway.. did you ever try the trail? flow chart of some sort would really help get my mind knowing what I need to mess with..

so maybe just a reply on this...
                      so HS sample plugin... did you use it and if so... what are the files that you had to modify for your sample?

im just looking to see what actually gets edited as it seems both samples have similar files...

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                        ... well i have been reading up and free tutorials on the web and im still so far away.. hahahhaa...

anyway.. did you ever try the trail? flow chart of some sort would really help get my mind knowing what I need to mess with..

so maybe just a reply on this...
                        so HS sample plugin... did you use it and if so... what are the files that you had to modify for your sample?

im just looking to see what actually gets edited as it seems both samples have similar files...

thanks!
                        I started using HomSeers own samples, so the similarity is no coincidence. I just filled in the gaps to make it more understandable (and readable).

Comment

Somehow I missed this new post. . .I was tracking the fitbit post looking for the plugin sample. I am getting VS installed. . .so finally I will try to get a peak into the plugins. If I could just get a simple framework, I might find use for developing some of my own. . .or helping partner on some of the other free plugins.

Thanks!

Comment

I want to start with understanding how to store a config file in the plugin data store. . .

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                              I want to start with understanding how to store a config file in the plugin data store. . .
                              Do you mean "in the Updater" or "in the local \Config folder?

If it's the first, then look here (but I have no clue either, yet): http://www.homeseer.com/support/home...DK/updater.htm

If it's the latter, then look in "Settings.vb" in my sample.

Comment

Thx. Local data first.

Comment

Working...
                                X