NVR Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVR Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good NVR? It is hard to find good information about the available NVRs? Other than Blue Iris, are there other popular and good NVRs out there? Also, any that work well with HS3?

Thanks.

You might want to check out this forum that is all about cameras, recording and security.

https://ipcamtalk.com/forums

Here is one of their sub forums that is all about NVRs and the like.

https://ipcamtalk.com/forums/nvrs-dvrs-computers.13/

I am a Blue Iris user and find it perfect for my needs.

Comment

Thank you. Will explore around there. Nice to know where to find good info. I'm new to cams and still trying to find the good resources.

Comment

Call me old school, but I like to keep things of importance separated and not reliant on an actual computer I need to maintain.

I am using Dahua Cameras and their 8 Channel NVR and its rock solid. The nice thing is if my server goes down, I still have my cams. I view it as a security device and just like my alarm, should remain separate from my automation stuff. I am integrated into the unit, but not reliant on that integration for it to work. Also since the cams are tied to the house now, they will stay with it when we move and so will the NVR (by the time I move, I will want better stuff anyways).

People have a lot of luck with Blue Iris and I did use iSpy software in the past with decent success, but ultimately Murphy's law just sticks in my head for some reason, and felt a standalone appliance NVR was the better route.

Also, VLAN the hell out of your network and put the cams on a separate vlan all to themselves. I block my cams complete access to the internet and only allow a couple ports from the cam to my main vlan to view the cams. I proxy thru HSTouch to view the cams remotely. I did this because the cameras like to call home... a lot, and pretty much all cams use the same firmware these days and all talk back to China. I didn't like this and shut it down. Plus hacks are on the rise to utilize iOT and IP Cams for other illegal activity and attacks.

Comment

You could go stand alone device or host an application on a server. At work most of our NVRs are Honeywell fusion and exacqVision. Both run on Windows server and exacqVision also runs on Linux.

I don't know that I would pay for the software and license it. Additionally, I am really happy with my current deployment of Linux based systems (HTPC client, firewall, wireless controller, and HS3). I plan to setup my NVR on Linux as well.

I have deployed some Ubiquiti cameras for a few friends businesses and found that they are great devices.

Ubiquiti has an NVR server application that you consumers can stand up on their own systems or they can buy a Ubiquiti made NVR.

Zoneminder is the system I am currently planning on going with. It is Linux only and GNU licensed. @Pete has a really good guide on standing up a zoneminder NVR system on a Linux OS.

To the best of my knowledge, HST needs direct access to your cameras. So if you are running POE cameras, you will likely need to connect them to a POE network switch or a wifi network (I would only go wireless if running cable is not an option). As most stand alone DVRs won't allow HST to route through them to the cameras. You might be able to script access to the NVR front end and get to the image you want, but I would suspect that this will rely heavily on manufacturer.

IOT devices always make me nervous because they seem very chatty, are full of security holes, and tend to phone home a lot. The latest iterations even have means of UDP tunneling across firewalls when they phone home. This would bypass any control of the device you would have. My advise would mirror @waynehead99. Disallow access to the Internet except what you absolutely need, and limit their access to your other internal network devices. This will keep them from phoning home and keep them from maliciously attacking your home network. This is often harder than it looks because you kind of have to understand routing, VLANS, IP addressing, and network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Dahua looks interesting will research these more. I've never heard of this brand, but diy folk seem to like them for the price.

I too like the idea of a stand alone NVR and would prefer a non-pc based solution.

Good to know about Ubiquity. I use there router, Poe switches, and APs already. I'm not an expert, but can set up vlans, dhcp ranges, static addressing and dhcp reservations. The ubiquity netwrking is really dialed in. My concern with their cameras/NVR is that they are not onvif compatible and therefore not interoperable with other brands.

Comment

Technology is moving really fast relating to CCTV and NVRs and IP Cameras.

Here like to keep security stuff autonomous from Homeseer such that there are no dependencies. That said I utilize HS Touch consoles to monitor the CCTV stuff.

Relating to Zoneminder it is much more a plug n play installation than it was a few years back.

Just got a note day before yesterday from Ubiquiti Networks about GPS integration to their AirMax stuff. Not sure yet if it is ready for public consumption.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

VS4112-Pro+

Got one of these & installed 4 4TB drives. Haven't looked back - it just works.
                A mix of brands for the cameras to include Vivotek, Dlink 7010L & Dahua's eight total. Currently at 133 days of recordings but this is dependent on your chosen settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Club Chapin View Post
                  Good to know about Ubiquity. I use there router, Poe switches, and APs already. I'm not an expert, but can set up vlans, dhcp ranges, static addressing and dhcp reservations. The ubiquity netwrking is really dialed in. My concern with their cameras/NVR is that they are not onvif compatible and therefore not interoperable with other brands.

Onvif is the standard when it comes to cams, so if this truly is the case, I would stay away from them unless you are going all in, which isn't a bad idea either. All my cams and NVR are Dahua because logic dictates like brand works well together.

Karet is correct too. The NVR will not allow you access to the feed... kinda. There is an RTSP feed that you get access to, but that takes transcoding on another machine using VCL. I tried it and it was too much to keep going. HSTouch in the latest betas does support RTSP, but it's very flakey and not recommended. Ultimately what I did was put all my cams on a separate POE switch instead of using the NVR built in switch, this allowed the NVR to still record the cams, but also gave me access to the native stream from the cam and also works much better in this setup for HSTouch.

Comment

Ubiquiti does not support onvif. If intent on not using the unifi NVR as your primary NVR (say you have a mixed network or already have a primary NVR up) the workaround is to install either the full ubiquiti NVR server or LUVS (lightweight unifi video server) package and enable RTSP. Then configure access to the feeds using RTSP to the unifi service from the main NVR service.

Comment

Yes for HSTouch screens here do rapid JPG captures. Works well but it is not RTSP and not 30 frames per second.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                        Ubiquiti does not support onvif. If intent on not using the unifi NVR as your primary NVR (say you have a mixed network or already have a primary NVR up) the workaround is to install either the full ubiquiti NVR server or LUVS (lightweight unifi video server) package and enable RTSP. Then configure access to the feeds using RTSP to the unifi service from the main NVR service.
                        I'm not intent on not using the Ubiquiti NVR as my primary. After my experience with setting up two Unifi networks, I'd love to use the ubiquiti nvr, if it is to NVRs (which I have no experience with) as Unifi is to other networking (Dd-Wrt, apple, linksys, etc.). My initial hope was to have no NVR and us cams with SD cards, maybe also recording to nas; this quickly became obvious it is not a good solution.

I intend to only have 1 NVR, not a secondary or back-up.

I have a POE switch and will power cameras off of this.

I'd like all cams to be available individually to HS and maybe other applications.

I do have some existing non ubiquiti cams I'd like to keep using.

With RTSP, can the Ubiquiti NVR access my existing cams? Can HS access the ubiquiti non-onvif cams? This might make me reconsider Ubiquiti.

Comment

Is the unifi nvr software free for Windows? Can I simply download and try it? My intent would be to get an nvr appliance.

https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi-video/unifi-nvr

Comment

I feel like Dahua may be the next one to try, based on responses here and on cam talk.

What is the best source for Dahua nvr and cams?
                            Last edited by Club Chapin; June 17, 2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

NVR Recommendations

Originally posted by Club Chapin View Post
                              I'm not intent on not using the Ubiquiti NVR as my primary. After my experience with setting up two Unifi networks, I'd love to use the ubiquiti nvr, if it is to NVRs (which I have no experience with) as Unifi is to other networking (Dd-Wrt, apple, linksys, etc.). My initial hope was to have no NVR and us cams with SD cards, maybe also recording to nas; this quickly became obvious it is not a good solution.

I intend to only have 1 NVR, not a secondary or back-up.

I have a POE switch and will power cameras off of this.

I'd like all cams to be available individually to HS and maybe other applications.

I do have some existing non ubiquiti cams I'd like to keep using.

With RTSP, can the Ubiquiti NVR access my existing cams? Can HS access the ubiquiti non-onvif cams? This might make me reconsider Ubiquiti.

To the best of my knowledge, Ubiquiti's NVR only works with their camera assortment.

Ubiquiti camera systems support RTSP access via the management interface and from what I am hearing directly on the G3 cams.

My plan would be to pickup a G3 enable RTSP on the cam and then use zoneminder as my NVR. My Second alternative would be to install LUVS to my NVR server enable RTSP on it and then use zoneminder to connect to the cams and record.

Comment

Working...
                              X