Monitoring some power/gas/water meters via an RTL-SDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    I agree with Mike as it is a dying technology today.

My term for using it is the "long math" way (serial).

Many Homeseer 1-2 users used 1-Wire technology back when.

Today it has gone a bit to a wireless Arduino / RPi environmental type devices.

Here recently built an RPi 1-wire hub connected to 2nd floor temperature and humidity sensors from the attic down reusing what I had in place. I have though been collecting these sensors since the 1990's and they never fail.

BTW the default drivers for 1-wire these days are part of the Linux Debian operating system and reintroduced to first RPi's running Linux Wheezy, then Jessie and today Stretch.
    Thanks Pete - I have an opportunity now to run some wires if it makes sense, but sounds like it won't matter for that particular tech...

Comment

Yeah in one house here repurposed in place telephone cables way back. I also used the old telephone lines for Homeseer Speaker with HS version 1.

Worked great.

The cost of cable and 1-wire temperature sensors is way low compared to purchasing wired or wireless sensors.

My Leviton Omni Pro temperature sensors are around $50 each.

I was an avid xAP user and combined the two technologies for a very long time.

I am currently combining many functions on the 1-wire hub in the attic. IE: it is a ZWave device and now an SDR radio device.

I can mini this and single purpose the 1-wire hub to an Arduinio these days.
      Last edited by Pete; January 26, 2018, 06:59 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

This morning had a new radio installed on my sensus water meter.

The box is probably 1/2 the size of the telco box. I wrote down everything on the module and what was on the box.

It is using Flexnet 2W which is a two way private network.

Well it looks to be running at 1 Watt and may go to a repeater.

[ATTACH]66169[/ATTACH]
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          This morning had a new radio installed on my sensus water meter.

The box is probably 1/2 the size of the telco box. I wrote down everything on the module and what was on the box.

It is using Flexnet 2W which is a two way private network.

Well it looks to be running at 1 Watt and may go to a repeater.

[ATTACH]66169[/ATTACH]
          Pete, I have a water meter using se sensus as well. How did you do it? Can you post more details instructions, I'm looking for a way to read my meter for long time, here the water is soon expensive, I would love to be able to read my meter as well.

Thanks,
          Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

@Aldo,

The radio is new and I have no clue about it yet.

Looks maybe to be a private channel GSM/LTE connection?

The installer mentioned that the meters can be read at the water department (which is a few miles away).

Way long time ago added two water meters for my own reads here using a dual 1-wire counter.

To validate the numbers you see you just need to do a bucket test.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete.

Aldo

Comment

Working...
              X