Nodemcu enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nodemcu enclosure

Has anybody found a GOOD enclosure for the nodemcu and a good mounting system inside the enclosure? I have several just "hangin around" and I would like to enclose them so it is not such a mess..... Could some of you share what you are using?

Not perfect by any means, but I use low profile, double gang plastic electric boxes:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-2...CARR/100113827

They have plastic covers to go with them and punch-outs for access for wires.

In the ceiling of the garage I have nodeMCUs with distance sensors to detect if door open, closed, or closed with car. Also controls the door opener itself. The blue boxes are ugly so I bought these from ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Plasti...-/311750500424

The nodeMCU fits snugly in the project boxes, but not super easy to to get to them if you need to troubleshoot something. I drill two holes for the distance sensor and it is hardly noticeable on the ceiling of the garage.

The last thing I use is double gang in-wall plastic electrical boxes. I hand cut an opening for the 4X20 LCDs in plactic cover to display info at various locations in the garage and barns. This is the hardest to get into and troubleshoot, especially if you have a lot of wires connected.

With OTA updates I am getting braver with shoving these things in hard to access places.

The NodeMCUs are extremely reliable and I have replaced all but on Arduino Mega with NodeMCU.

If someone has a cleaner idea for cases I too am eager to hear about it.

I found the most reliable power to be micro USB chargers. Hard wires with no USB cable. One end plugs into the wall, the other end has micro USB. I found them for $2 on ebay from China. Took a month or so to arrive, so I bought 50 at once. The plug is way less likely to come loose than the pins and seems to be more reliable. I put a small cap on the 5V lines just as a CYA.

Comment

Originally posted by cowsr4eating View Post
      Not perfect by any means, but I use low profile, double gang plastic electric boxes:
      https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-2...CARR/100113827

They have plastic covers to go with them and punch-outs for access for wires.

In the ceiling of the garage I have nodeMCUs with distance sensors to detect if door open, closed, or closed with car. Also controls the door opener itself. The blue boxes are ugly so I bought these from ebay:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Plasti...-/311750500424

The nodeMCU fits snugly in the project boxes, but not super easy to to get to them if you need to troubleshoot something. I drill two holes for the distance sensor and it is hardly noticeable on the ceiling of the garage.

The last thing I use is double gang in-wall plastic electrical boxes. I hand cut an opening for the 4X20 LCDs in plactic cover to display info at various locations in the garage and barns. This is the hardest to get into and troubleshoot, especially if you have a lot of wires connected.

With OTA updates I am getting braver with shoving these things in hard to access places.

The NodeMCUs are extremely reliable and I have replaced all but on Arduino Mega with NodeMCU.

If someone has a cleaner idea for cases I too am eager to hear about it.

I found the most reliable power to be micro USB chargers. Hard wires with no USB cable. One end plugs into the wall, the other end has micro USB. I found them for $2 on ebay from China. Took a month or so to arrive, so I bought 50 at once. The plug is way less likely to come loose than the pins and seems to be more reliable. I put a small cap on the 5V lines just as a CYA.

thanks...Those boxes on ebay look good, I will search around on there and see if I can find some like them..

Comment

If you Google "Plastic Waterproof Electronic Project Enclosure Cover Box Case 83x58x35mm" there are multiple hits. Attached is pic of NodeMCU in enclosure.

I place upside down so I can access the pins, but placed this way just for pic.

The lid has depth to it so there is a decent amount of room to plug in wires and have a distance sensor in the lid. Not room for an h-bridge or relays. That is where I use the low profile double gang electrical boxes.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by cowsr4eating; July 11, 2018, 12:52 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

It's been more than a year ago but I found a case that could be 3D printed out on Thingiverse.com specifically for the nodemcu, I had a friend print for me because I don't have a printer. It had tabs on the case so that it could be screwed in place. When I get home I will see if I still can find the link.

Comment

Okay, I found the link for the case
            https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1589043

Comment

Originally posted by jim@beersman.com View Post
              Okay, I found the link for the case
              https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1589043

those are nice! If I only had a 3d printer....

Comment

There are options on the website to have someone else print them for you. Not sure what the price is for that.

Comment

Been eyeing a Monoprice 3D printer. This might be the reason that pushed me to make the purchase.

Thanks,

Guy

Comment

Been eyeing a Monoprice 3D printer. This might be the reason that pushed me to make the purchase.

Thanks,

Guy

lol...reminds me of the big bang episode where they buy a $5000 printer to print a $1 doll

Comment

If you Google "Plastic Waterproof Electronic Project Enclosure Cover Box Case 83x58x35mm" there are multiple hits. Attached is pic of NodeMCU in enclosure.

I place upside down so I can access the pins, but placed this way just for pic.

The lid has depth to it so there is a decent amount of room to plug in wires and have a distance sensor in the lid. Not room for an h-bridge or relays. That is where I use the low profile double gang electrical boxes.

I ordered a couple of these boxes, thanks for sharing and your time

Comment

Most of my NodeMCU units are out of sight so I really do not care what the enclosure looks like... however I have found a use for some of our old Tupperware. These make excellent enclosures for these little devices. You can easily drill holes in them for the inputs/outputs. Usually find the size that is just right and with a little silicone they are water tight. You also have a easy to open lid to get at the unit if you need to in the future.
                        Billy

Comment

Originally posted by wadesready View Post
                          lol...reminds me of the big bang episode where they buy a $5000 printer to print a $1 doll
                          LOL... that was a great episode.
                          Billy

Comment

[qutoe]Been eyeing a Monoprice 3D printer. This might be the reason that pushed me to make the purchase.[/quote]

I have been lurking and looking at many of the reviews for entry level units. There has been a lot of good press for the Creality Ender 3 which is in the neighborhood of $200 and minimal assembly. No personal experience with any 3D printer.

Comment

Working...
                            X