OmniPro II Integration with 2 Russound MCA-C5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OmniPro II Integration with 2 Russound MCA-C5

Not sure if anyone has this setup. I am holding out until Rob Mason has the integration with the Russound system. So here's my story.

I purchased a home a few years ago that had a Omni-Pro II along with 1 - Russound MCA-C5 with all 8 zones used. The omni-pro communicates via RS232 serial to the #1 controller (Original). From my old house I had a new MCA-C5 that i brought with. Over the course of a few months I've installed speakers in a few of rooms. Now bringing my zone count to 10, I've learned the Leviton Dealer Access 3 and added those zones. The new controller was changed from #1 to #2. I updated the Russound SCS-C5 software. I have a small TIA-568A CAT5 cable OUT of #1 to IN of #2.. I am not having any luck.

The existing MCA-C5 that came with the house has an older software version. I remember spending hours at my old place trying to get it to update, to find out that Windows 7 stopped supporting RS232 connection if i remember correctly.

From the documentation I think the omnipro II can support both controllers. Let me know.

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Mike.

Here utilize two CAA66's. Your stuff / issues should be plug n play.

Looked up your manual located over here:

MCA-C5

The CAT-5e patch cable must have an RJ-45 connector on each end with T568A wiring configuration. It can not exceed 18 inches (45.7 cm) in length to avoid potential cross-talk between the source-specific IR repeating signal lines.

SCS-C5 software download
    The necessary software (SCS-C5) to program and configure the system is available via download from the Doc Center at www.russound.com. With your PC laptop, you can configure the system prior to connecting with the MCA-C5 controller. You can also configure the controller over Ethernet (read from device/write to device) when the MCA-C5 is connected to the network. The software has a Source Setup Wizard to aid in the setup and basic configuration of the sources. Once configured, the system information can be saved to a file. Reports can also be generated for a hard copy back up of the system configuration.

Looks like you have the two connected correctly unless you have a longer than 18" cat5e cable connecting the two together.

Thinking you can configure your MCA-C5's via the ethernet connection and software and probably update each of the devices firmware with same said software.

Before connecting to the OP2 you will need to configure the two devices to talk to each other then afterwards utilize the serial cable to one of the two devices to talk to the two via the Omni Pro 2.

Just guessing right now...might get more help by calling Russound Support at

8:30 AM to 6:00 PM ET
    Monday – Friday
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete for your help. I read along the same lines in my manual as well.
      In the SCS file setup, i did a system check. I was thinking the original MCA-C5 was further along, Now i'm thinking the software version being so different might be the problem. For thrills I decided to change the small patch cable. I didn't have a 18" TIA568A, only a 36" one, but none the less It does turn on now, but i don't have sound. Now the scary part of trying to update software for the controller. I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling updating software that is at least 5 years old!! Thanks again for your help

System Check Results
      05/12/2018 21:47

(001) SCS-C5 (---:---:---) App v6.00.04
      (002) MCA-C5 (001:---:---) App v02.00.05 Boot v01.00.08
      (003) MCA-C5 (002:---:---) App v07.01.00
      (004) AM-FM Tuner (Built In) (---:---:001)

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Welcome to the Homeseer forum Mike.

Here utilize two CAA66's. Your stuff / issues should be plug n play.

Looked up your manual located over here:

MCA-C5

The CAT-5e patch cable must have an RJ-45 connector on each end with T568A wiring configuration. It can not exceed 18 inches (45.7 cm) in length to avoid potential cross-talk between the source-specific IR repeating signal lines.

SCS-C5 software download
      The necessary software (SCS-C5) to program and configure the system is available via download from the Doc Center at www.russound.com
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah I would not play with the OmniPro 2 connection until both of the devices have the same firmware and are identical to each other and seen as one via software.

That said see one device with a two part firmware - bootloader and firmware OS version an all in one combo boot loader firmware version on the second box.

Any new software should be all encompassing including all or any past stuff and including new stuff.

Russound RMS service does offer one set price to check and repair your device should you want to use it. If it is broken they will fix it or update the firmware if possible with said hardware. These days do not recall what they charge. Noticed too that they offer their wares now for self installing through 3rd party retailers which they never did before.

This is the same as my OmniTouch screens.

Thing is too that there may be different hardware revisions in the two boxes and that being a limiting factor.

The system check above does indicate that your MCA-C5 device option is to perform a controller update. Relating to that device it would probably be better to do a serial port firmware update than an Ethernet port firmware update.

BTW this is sort of similiar to the RPi ARM computer. It does have a bootloader code but you do not see it typically. It has changed a bit now over the years.

I have modded my touchscreens original EFI bootloader ROM to using a Seabios bootloader ROM. This allows for booting in Linux, Windows or Android.

The ROM chip is removable such that you can boot up with the OS running, remove the chip in vivo, replace it with a new chip and write the bootloader to a new chip old motherboard BIOS stuff.

Maybe if you can find an older version of the software that works with Windows XP or Windows 7 via a serial port it might work better to update the firmware?

Here have never updated the firmware on the CAA66 boxes. That said primarily here utilize the LCD keypads for control, then the Omnitouch screens (very slow) and then software (which is also slow) with an attached micro serial server before it goes to the Omni Pro panel. Tiny thing but costs around $200 at the time. These days audio sources are Squeezebox / Kodi mini touchscreens stacked on the rack and remote controllable. Radio and other legacy sources of audio are gone. I did run audio inputs from the AVRs in the house initially using shielded microphone cable then went to cat5e audio baluns which worked much better. RNET on your MCA-C5 is much faster than the old serial communications on the CAA66's.

Googling your product do see some 2 different hardware models of the MCA-C5 and a variety of issues relating to updating firmware. IE: like the software firmware updating only works in serial mode for the older hardware devices but not in Ethernet mode for these devices.

I would just call Russound and tell them your issues relating to the two MCA-C5's.

BTW helped a neighbor with his system which was wired by the contractor and contractor had stapled over his remote pad wires shorting them out causing issues with two of his zones for some 10 years. PM me as I live close to you.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hello Pete,

I want to thank you for your reply (lengthy and detailed!). I was able to update the older controller to the new ver 7. I was actually shocked how easy it was. I used a Prolific USB to RS232 adapter. I think i need to look more into the bootloader as they are both different. The 1st unit does see the 2nd unit within SCS software, along with IOS russound app. The 2nd unit's zones turn on, but no sound. What surprises me is that none of the sources are shown on the 2nd unit. Not even the AM/FM radio that is zone #1.

I'll probably have more time Thursday 5/17 to disconnect everything again and try to update the boot loader. I installed my last system at my old place. I felt i was pretty good at the software and the system in 2014.

Now i had to learn about HAI's Omni Pro system. Which isn't that complicated, but didn't really have a teacher. The installer that i will leave nameless, since you said you live close to me wanted a ridiculous price to program on & off events. I have stair lighting going to the 2nd floor. He wanted $125 to program that. I purchased the software and did it myself.

Again thanks for your help.

Yeah I would not play with the OmniPro 2 connection until both of the devices have the same firmware and are identical to each other and seen as one via software.

That said see one device with a two part firmware - bootloader and firmware OS version an all in one combo boot loader firmware version on the second box.

Any new software should be all encompassing including all or any past stuff and including new stuff.

Russound RMS service does offer one set price to check and repair your device should you want to use it. If it is broken they will fix it or update the firmware if possible with said hardware. These days do not recall what they charge. Noticed too that they offer their wares now for self installing through 3rd party retailers which they never did before.

This is the same as my OmniTouch screens.

Thing is too that there may be different hardware revisions in the two boxes and that being a limiting factor.

The system check above does indicate that your MCA-C5 device option is to perform a controller update. Relating to that device it would probably be better to do a serial port firmware update than an Ethernet port firmware update.

BTW this is sort of similiar to the RPi ARM computer. It does have a bootloader code but you do not see it typically. It has changed a bit now over the years.

I have modded my touchscreens original EFI bootloader ROM to using a Seabios bootloader ROM. This allows for booting in Linux, Windows or Android.

The ROM chip is removable such that you can boot up with the OS running, remove the chip in vivo, replace it with a new chip and write the bootloader to a new chip old motherboard BIOS stuff.

Maybe if you can find an older version of the software that works with Windows XP or Windows 7 via a serial port it might work better to update the firmware?

Here have never updated the firmware on the CAA66 boxes. That said primarily here utilize the LCD keypads for control, then the Omnitouch screens (very slow) and then software (which is also slow) with an attached micro serial server before it goes to the Omni Pro panel. Tiny thing but costs around $200 at the time. These days audio sources are Squeezebox / Kodi mini touchscreens stacked on the rack and remote controllable. Radio and other legacy sources of audio are gone. I did run audio inputs from the AVRs in the house initially using shielded microphone cable then went to cat5e audio baluns which worked much better. RNET on your MCA-C5 is much faster than the old serial communications on the CAA66's.

Googling your product do see some 2 different hardware models of the MCA-C5 and a variety of issues relating to updating firmware. IE: like the software firmware updating only works in serial mode for the older hardware devices but not in Ethernet mode for these devices.

I would just call Russound and tell them your issues relating to the two MCA-C5's.

BTW helped a neighbor with his system which was wired by the contractor and contractor had stapled over his remote pad wires shorting them out causing issues with two of his zones for some 10 years. PM me as I live close to you.

Comment

Good news Mike!

The 2nd unit's zones turn on, but no sound. What surprises me is that none of the sources are shown on the 2nd unit. Not even the AM/FM radio that is zone #1.

This tells me that there is still some odd issues. Guessing without the interconnection between the two each one works fine eh? IE: sound, radio et al.

The OmniPro 2 via PCA for Installers is much easier to configure as the panel and the program are old these days.

The alarm / security pieces are much like any alarm system today only that the Omni panels are security on steroids versus say what is installed by ADT and the Elk M1 (big - modular) and HAI Omni panels (small and stuff is all included) were the first of their kind (almost) and still have more features that any other combination security automation panel today.

The Homeseer Omni plugin is the icing on the cake to bring the Omni Pro panel to today (2018).
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

Thought i would share this, along with anyone else that could potentially have setup similar to mine. I found out why I wasn't getting sound.

Basically, any source from MCA #1 would mirror MCA #2. There isn't a way to add anymore additional sources using the 2nd controller. I had to pick up some RCA cable & Y adapters to bridge both controllers together. This really stinks, I really wanted to have additional AM/FM radio to use.

I did get tech bulletin ( attached )regarding power surges induced onto the RS-232 connection from the OP2 panel.

Not sure what forum I should post this since I am the newbie, but figured I should share since we all have alot of $$ wrapped up in equipment and time.

Good news Mike!

The 2nd unit's zones turn on, but no sound. What surprises me is that none of the sources are shown on the 2nd unit. Not even the AM/FM radio that is zone #1.

This tells me that there is still some odd issues. Guessing without the interconnection between the two each one works fine eh? IE: sound, radio et al.

The OmniPro 2 via PCA for Installers is much easier to configure as the panel and the program are old these days.

The alarm / security pieces are much like any alarm system today only that the Omni panels are security on steroids versus say what is installed by ADT and the Elk M1 (big - modular) and HAI Omni panels (small and stuff is all included) were the first of their kind (almost) and still have more features that any other combination security automation panel today.

The Homeseer Omni plugin is the icing on the cake to bring the Omni Pro panel to today (2018).
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mikej8111 View Post
                Pete,

Thought i would share this, along with anyone else that could potentially have setup similar to mine. I found out why I wasn't getting sound.

Basically, any source from MCA #1 would mirror MCA #2. There isn't a way to add anymore additional sources using the 2nd controller. I had to pick up some RCA cable & Y adapters to bridge both controllers together. This really stinks, I really wanted to have additional AM/FM radio to use.

I did get tech bulletin ( attached )regarding power surges induced onto the RS-232 connection from the OP2 panel.

Not sure what forum I should post this since I am the newbie, but figured I should share since we all have alot of $$ wrapped up in equipment and time.

Hallelujah!! I can’t believe that I found this discussion. I am just now adding a second C5 and am having same issue - controllers seem to work OK but no sound from second controller.

As for mirroring the source inputs, are bridging the two by connecting the source out jack on controller one to source in jack on controller 2? OR are you splitting at the source to both controller in jacks? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Hallelujah!! I can’t believe that I found this discussion. I am just now adding a second C5 and am having same issue - controllers seem to work OK but no sound from second controller.

As for mirroring the source inputs, are bridging the two by connecting the source out jack on controller one to source in jack on controller 2? OR are you splitting at the source to both controller in jacks? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Mark,

I used a RCA splitter from the controller 1 & 2. I don't have an elaborate system. I refuse to give Russound money for their streaming systems. I purchased Onkyo & Denon systems to use as media systems. I have old ipod docks in each room, but no longer use them as Airplay is great quality.

Sources
                  1 - Am/Fm Radio
                  2 - Onkyo TX-NR545(Streaming / Airplay, Pandora)
                  3 - Denon AVR S-730H (Streaming / Airplay, Amazon Music, Pandora)
                  4 - TV from Family Room
                  5 - TV from Bar

Comment

Working...
                  X