X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever resolve it?

Comment

Never did find an answer.

I wrote a script to run through my devices and turn on lights left on too long.

Comment

I am getting to that point! First I will unplug or disable as many devices as I can just to see if I can catch the culprit.

Comment

I gave up trying to figure this out and concentrated on the script workaround.

Determining exactly which lights to turn off and when to turn them off, however, became a different problem.

I have many timed events for lights in the evening, and I didnt want to turn those lights off. I also have many events that turn lights on with motion, so I didnt want to turn lights off in a room that had motion. I also have guests over and when they are here I didnt want to turn lights off in their room .

After many versions, I came up with a solution that uses an INI file which stores information for each room. I keep track of which devices are in each room, exempt devices, timeout time for devices, polltime, last poll, motion timeout, guest status, occupancy timeout.

Since I have so many devices and rooms, I cant poll every device often or it kills the zwave network. I came up with an algorithm that checks certains rooms based on settings and only will check a maximum five rooms every 15 minutes. I have a separate occupancy script that determines if a room is occupied and use this as well.

For timed events, when the event runs to turn on an evening light, it adds the device(s) to the exempt list. Exempt devices will never be turned off by the script. When the timed event runs to turn off evening lights, it removes the device(s) from the list. This works very well.

I also check to see if a device is out of sync with Homeseer. If Homeseer thinks the device is off and I poll it and it is on, then I log it as an error in the log file and turn it off immediately. This is the problem that we have been talking about in this thread. I see these errors in the log now and then and I have yet to figure out a pattern or cause.

With this setup, nothing stays on longer than 30 minutes that shouldnt be on.

Comment

I have slowly (and unsuccessfully) been working my way through the network trying to find the culprit. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the errant activity - which makes it all the more frustrating!

It occurs to me that there has to be a way to install a sniffing device that can tell me where the command is coming from so I can start to zero in on the bad module? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Comment

I bought this a few months back but never got around to working with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S7AVTC/

There are several threads on here about sniffing Zwave signals. This is the cheapest method.

Comment

Hi,

Those devices will not sniff z-wave packets. Yes, you can see rf transmissions in the z-wave frequencies, but decoding them is a whole different story, especially for trying to find a sporadic all on command. They are useful for tracking down a device that's flooding the network, but not for very intermittent issues. The only sniffer I know of, is part of the z-wave developer kit which costs a few $k.

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Yeah here use one of these doo whats to get weather maps from NOAA satellites. Tiny thing.

Originally tested with the over head pass and listening a bunch; actually after a while thinking my ears started to act up (the visuals did help).

Most of the "work" involved was making an antenna (well its called a Quadrifilar Helix (QFH) Antenna) for this endeavor. (looks like a piece of art rather than an antenna).

Last edited by Pete; February 22, 2015, 05:27 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X