Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noobi to Imperihome with 5th Gen Fire

I've got it running on one of my 5th Gen Fire tablets with OS 5.3.3.0

I've been able to get it to boot up and auto launch Imperihome but it doesn't show on the screen after boot up. Instead there is a persistent advertisement coming from the Amazon App Store. I've disabled everything that might cause it to pop up. I may have to root it, but I can't find a known good root procedure for 5.3.3.0 yet.

Has anyone figured out how to get Imperihome to be the default home page with 5th Gen Fire tablets running 5.3.3.0?
    Last edited by noopara; April 18, 2017, 06:12 PM.

Originally posted by noopara View Post
    I've got it running on one of my 5th Gen Fire tablets with OS 5.3.3.0

I've been able to get it to boot up and auto launch Imperihome but it doesn't show on the screen after boot up. Instead there is a persistent advertisement coming from the Amazon App Store. I've disabled everything that might cause it to pop up. I may have to root it, but I can't find a known good root procedure for 5.3.3.0 yet.

Has anyone figured out how to get Imperihome to be the default home page with 5th Gen Fire tablets running 5.3.3.0?
    I posted this a week ago... similar problem. On other regular android tablets, I use an app called "Target Home Launcher" that lets you select what you want your home page to me. You set IH as your home page, and then turn off the lock screen option on your tablet.

On the Fire, you can't turn off that lock screen with the ads :-( that I can find easily. I also can't get target home launcher to work (it does install).

If you do use IH on the tablet, it will stay up, and the motion sensor wake up works. Doesn't seem to go back/time out to the Fire home screen.. so unless someone changes the app to something else (like Sonos), it does work.

Comment

Tomgru

Thanks, I saw your post and installed Target Home Launcher which is how I got Imperihome to launch on boot up. It does launch all right, but the persistent advertisement is what you see. I guess there is no getting around that at the moment.

Where is the setting for the motion sensor wake up?

Comment

Tomgru

Thanks, I saw your post and installed Target Home Launcher which is how I got Imperihome to launch on boot up. It does launch all right, but the persistent advertisement is what you see. I guess there is no getting around that at the moment.

Can't you just pay the one-time $15 fee to remove ads, or is the wrong model for that? I have a couple of the $35 Fires that I removed the ads from for $15 each. However, I am not using them for an always on IH screen.
        cheeryfool

Comment

I would pay $15 to stop the ads, but I don't see any offer or option in the settings to do that. Where might it be?

Never mind. I found it. You have to login to Amazon and go to manage your devices and select to opt out...for $15.

Comment

I would pay $15 to stop the ads, but I don't see any offer or option in the settings to do that. Where might it be?

You have to use a browser (desktop is easiest). Go into your account, then Manage Content & Devices. Find your device and then there's a device option button. You should see something in there about unsubscribing from ads with a $15 price on it. That's IF your device is eligible for this.
            cheeryfool

Comment

yup... got it. Thanks.

I bought a couple of the kindles when they had the black Friday sale for $33 each. Now we know their game. They sell them now for $50. I wonder if you have to pay another $15 with a new one to get rid of the ads.

Comment

Well, it turns out that paying the $15 does get rid of the add but it doesn't solve the problem.

Now when it boots it shows a wall paper picture which can't be turned off. I am back to where I started. A $15 lesson.

If there was a known good way to root the device and then turn off OS automatic updates and get rid of the wallpaper we would have a great low cost interface to HS.

Comment

Tomgru

I think its under settings for dashboard in IH. there are instructions on the IH website on how to setup, but it's pretty easy.

So you got IH to actually come up FIRST when booting up the tablet, instead of going to the home screen (with ads)? Confused what you are seeing.

Comment

My objective is to be able to use my fire tablets in a wall mount configuration.

Thus far I have been able to get IH to start on boot up but it does not show on the screen until an upward swipe on the wallpaper. I have turned off the ads by paying $15 to amazon on their web site.

Some of the things I would like to do are:
                    1. Wake up from sleep with a tap instead of a button press. (What's a good app for this?)
                    2. Root the tablet
                    3. Turn off automatic updates
                    4. Get the wake on motion to work.

I guess I could fashion a button in a wall mount frame that would actuate the button on the tablet.

The wake on motion is set in IH but it doesn't work. I suspect that might be because my tablet upgraded to 5.3.3.0 two days ago.

Imperihome has an option for "Enable API HTTP Server" which "Starts a tiny heep server to make the app controllable with it's API" Is the plug-in using this?

I think that in the long run using this tablet as a dedicated Imperihome interface to HS is going to be problematic without being able to root it and turn off all updates.

Comment

Imperihome has an option for "Enable API HTTP Server" which "Starts a tiny heep server to make the app controllable with it's API" Is the plug-in using this?
                      yes the plug-in can use this API, read this post: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...42#post1234642

Comment

Thanks Spud...I will check it out...

Comment

To set up the api does the tablet need to be set up with a static ip address?

Comment

I set up the api and am able to wake up the screen but it doesn't go to the Imperihome page. It shows only the wallpaper as it does when you push the power button.

It looks like I am going to have to build in a way to push the button when it's mounted in a frame on the wall.

Comment

Working...
                            X