cannot get modem to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot get modem to work

I had a cheap 3G modem (commcast chipset), which I got to work. After a reboot, it stopped working. No matter what I do, the PC just does not recognise it any more. I think the problem is I only have USB 3.0 ports on my PC, and there seem to be problems with 3G modems working on USB 3.0 ports ? I bought another modem, a Huawei E3533. The PC, Win 10 home, recognises it, upon startup it loads a page for EE broadband (I am in the UK), and I can see data received and sent, so its working fine. But in the sms plugin, there is no usb port for it. I can select 2 ports there, but they are for something else. So no port to select for the modem. When I go into my control panel in Win 10, I can see the mode, looking at the properties I can see its working fine, but I cannot see a specific port assigned to it.
    I bought the plugin, but now stuck without being able to use it. I really would like to get this to work but running out of ideas...

Mike if the modem does not create a COM port in Windows then the plugin will not be able to talk to it.

The E3533 by default presents itself to Windows as an Ethernet device (Internet Sharing) and not a modem, which is why no com port is created.

There are ways to force your E3533 to switch to being a modem rather than an Ethernet port using usb_modeswitch message strings.

That's outside the scope of this plugin support however.

There's some advice here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...31-etc-)/page2

As soon as you can get the device to show up in Device Manager under "Ports" with a COM port number assigned you should be good.
    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

I thought it would need to show up as a USB port. But good to know there is a way of forcing that, I will explore that. I fully understand this is beyond the plugin support, but was hoping for a pointer of how I can get something to work, which I have now hopefully. I will do some googling now about the usb modeswitch
      I have been googling a little, couldn't find much on usb_modeswitch on windows. (I am on Win 10 x64). Spoken to Huawei support, they weren't really helpful, they said the software developer should provide support. After a few more questions they suggested it should be possible to create a virtual usb port, I am trying to find something on that now.
      Last edited by mikee123; August 24, 2016, 03:52 AM.

Comment

The method from the link is not working for the E3533, I cannot switch the modem to serial mode. I tried manually installing the drivers with changed .in file but they wouldn't work, they are not for my modem. Shame. I looked into installing a virtual usb port, but couldn't find any information of how to install that.

Comment

I bought a Huawei E303 modem as mentioned in the link, hoping I could get that to work as described. I couldnt. The method

While in this mode, the modem is controlled through a web interface on http://192.168.1.1/.
          The serial port can be enabled by visiting http://192.168.1.1/html/switchProjectMode.html.

did not work, I could not switch the modem, it just goes back to the web interface, nothing changes in the device manager. Forcing a driver update to any of the ones provided in mobile partner does not work either. For whatever reason. mobile partner software does not pick up the modem anyway, it cannot connect. Maybe the software is too old, maybe its a Windows 10 problem.
          So I think I have to give up on any Huawei modem as they all connect as internet sharing devices.

So all I can do now is try to find a modem which works on Windows 10 x64, and on a USB 3.0 port, and creates or connects via a USB port.

Any suggestions please ?

Comment

Mike, one of these should suit you perfectly:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-Modem-Wa...gAAOSwGvhT-E4E
            I'm not sure where you're based though, so please check the device supports the right band/frequency in your area. The one in he link is 900/1800Mhz, you may need the "quad band" version for your carrier (which is a little more expensive, but works with nearly all carriers worldwide).

edit:

Just seen you're based in London, so the 900/1800 version will work for you.
            Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
              Mike, one of these should suit you perfectly:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-Modem-Wa...gAAOSwGvhT-E4E
              I'm not sure where you're based though, so please check the device supports the right band/frequency in your area. The one in he link is 900/1800Mhz, you may need the "quad band" version for your carrier (which is a little more expensive, but works with nearly all carriers worldwide).

edit:

Just seen you're based in London, so the 900/1800 version will work for you.
              I bought it, but it is not working. Seems to be a driver issue. Its with an exclamation mark in the hardware manager,

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A device which does not exist was specified.

Device USB\VID_067B&PID_2303\5&912f20f&0&6 requires further installation.

So back to square one. Have emailed the seller to see if he has any idea if this should work with Win 10 x64, I guess the Win7 x64 drivers dont properly work for Win 10.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that. Didn't know you were running Win 10. I don't think HS3 is officially supported under Win 10. I do know some folks have it working without issue though.

I updated the plugin to support Win 10 so if you can find drivers for the modem then I think you'll be in luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

giving up

I have emailed various modem manufacturers to see if they can recommend anything which would work. D-Link came back and recommended a few modems, so I went and bought the DWM-157. I installed it, and it installed as a shared network device as all the other modems. Modem number 5 now going on Ebay to be sold again. Not sure what to do from here now. Getting a little fed up now buying all sorts of modems only to find out they wont work with the plugin.

Comment

I understand your frustration. As soon as you can find a device that supports the AT command set and creates a COM port on your PC the plugin will work.

Have you tried a Windows 7 machine?

Comment

I haven't got any Windows 7 PCs any more, they have all been upgraded to Windows 10

Comment

There are a lot of USB to Serial devices that are supported on Win 10 and then you could use a serial modem instead?

Comment

I don't mind as long as it works. Would they show up in the plug in ? So what would I be looking for ?

Comment

This device will give you a reliable and supported COM port:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/18

While something like this will work as a modem for the plugin (again, check frequencies for your carrier)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/GSM-Modem-Wave...924?nav=SEARCH

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
                              This device will give you a reliable and supported COM port:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/18

While something like this will work as a modem for the plugin (again, check frequencies for your carrier)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/GSM-Modem-Wave...924?nav=SEARCH

That modem I tried as a USB version and it would not work in Windows 10
                              If I connect it via the serial/usb, it probably wont need the drivers so should work in Windows 10 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X