Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete,

I am just bumping this back up.

I've had my mega terminals for quite some time and I'm finally getting around to using them! I just started to give the wiring a place to go and noticed something with the mega terminal...it doesn't pass the SPI connection from the mega up to the ethernet shield. Did you create an extension header or is this used for the micro SD?

Here's some progress pics. I CNC cut the base plates from 14ga steel and then installed the PEM's, quick coat of paint and it was ready to go! I have to make a gnd, +5v and +12v din mountable terminal board that will go between the mega and relay board.
    Attached Files

Comment

HI Mate

Let me say, that is plain "sexy". That looks very nice and professional :-) I think you will be happy when its all together and running. While I'm at an older version of the plugin, think its 131, it all just works and is now highly reliable.

The entry and exit to my property is now fully managed by HS, I do have an emergency entry method if needed however it is very stable. One thing I could possibly recommend is a battery and power supply in the box ? I bought a few items from Aliexpress and effectively the remote arduino megas are "UPS protected". The main box has its own UPS and the ethernet is connected by a 5 port UPS switch that is also on a UPS. That I found made all teh difference especially since we have terrible power.

Yes you noticed the SPI didnt pass through, I bought the extension headers that allowed me to pass the SPI from the ethernet, through the expansion board to the mega. That all works perfectly fine :-)

Post more pictures as you go, its great to see your build.

Cheers..Pete
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

These are the stacking kits you can get....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...StoreLevelAB=0
        HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
          HI Mate

Let me say, that is plain "sexy". That looks very nice and professional :-) I think you will be happy when its all together and running. While I'm at an older version of the plugin, think its 131, it all just works and is now highly reliable.

The entry and exit to my property is now fully managed by HS, I do have an emergency entry method if needed however it is very stable. One thing I could possibly recommend is a battery and power supply in the box ? I bought a few items from Aliexpress and effectively the remote arduino megas are "UPS protected". The main box has its own UPS and the ethernet is connected by a 5 port UPS switch that is also on a UPS. That I found made all teh difference especially since we have terrible power.

Yes you noticed the SPI didnt pass through, I bought the extension headers that allowed me to pass the SPI from the ethernet, through the expansion board to the mega. That all works perfectly fine :-)

Post more pictures as you go, its great to see your build.

Cheers..Pete
          Actually to the right (and in this case the top of the photos) you can see an APC backup power supply. I am going to run a extended IEC cable to the computer power supply in the panel and then run it back to the APC power supply. So it'll run off that if the power goes out. I have about 10 of those APC supplies as work was tossing them all due to the batteries needing replacement...so whenever I need one I just buy a fresh set of batteries and I'm all set. I also have the APC monitoring plugin which will be good for monitoring the status of them. Figured it'd be easier than charger for a 12v battery setup, also nice the PS puts out a 5v as well. Overkill for what I'm doing but for $30-50 and super generic it's easy to replace if it dies, I also have a few kicking around in the shop at all times anyways.

Okay I'll have to order or figure out an extension. No biggy. Won't be a while before I get crazy and start wiring things in. I'll get more photos up (and hopefully right side up next time) when I have more progress to show.

Thanks for the info about the SPI extensions.

Comment

OK on the APC supplies. What I found converting it to 240vac and back to 12V didnt give me the uptime I wanted.

I bought these:
            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...StoreLevelAB=0

And on the front door mega with an access control system its a 7.6AH battery. For the Homeseer PC and other 2 mega units in the main control box, I have a 18AH battery on this.

I've had the power off for 9 hours and all still worked......the whole town lost power....

Pete
            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
              OK on the APC supplies. What I found converting it to 240vac and back to 12V didnt give me the uptime I wanted.

I bought these:
              https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...StoreLevelAB=0

And on the front door mega with an access control system its a 7.6AH battery. For the Homeseer PC and other 2 mega units in the main control box, I have a 18AH battery on this.

I've had the power off for 9 hours and all still worked......the whole town lost power....

Pete
              Din mountable as well. I have the same APC used on my automation PC and get 40 minutes run time, I can add on aux. power through the back as well. So I could easily get 2 hours if need be. Once that goes down then any arduinos being powered up won't be of much use. I have the same UPS on my networking gear and it gives 4-5 hours IIRC, I got a pile of them for free as work was just dumping them as they didn't want to replace the dead batteries in them.

Your method is more efficient, and akin to alarm panels with a small wall wart keeping a battery charged and if the power goes out then the battery will last long enough between dead times to keep things going.

I ordered those stacking kits, now to wait 1-2months for it to arrive. Haha. I still have to pull a ton of wire in my house to install the DSC motion sensors so I have technically two panels I am building. I am in no rush, but it'll be awesome to have sensors interface into HS (other than the door sensors I have right now) and have it control all the devices I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post

I ordered those stacking kits, now to wait 1-2months for it to arrive. Haha. I still have to pull a ton of wire in my house to install the DSC motion sensors so I have technically two panels I am building. I am in no rush, but it'll be awesome to have sensors interface into HS (other than the door sensors I have right now) and have it control all the devices I have.
                Mate you will be very impressed. Ours runs the front door and internals in the house, its VERY reliable :-)

Remember when you get it together, send us the photos :-)

Merry XMAS ! Pete
                HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
                X