This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joggler Ubuntu 11.04

Here are some screens of the Joggler running Ubuntu 11.04. I had to remake the HSTouch screens such that they fit. Made a video and will post shortly. Response times are much faster than Chumby. Capacitance screen is the icing on the cake. I also have an Android HSTouch setup. Reponse times are even faster with the Android. I'm going towards a multiboot Joggler as I like to listen to the radio stations on the Joggler OS. I did try to implement the Joggler OS on to the Ubuntu 11.04; but the libraries appear to be for Ubuntu 10 version. For the Ubuntu 11.04 I am using VNC to remote to the client and Dropbear for SSH. The Ubuntu 11.04 has the newest Adobe flash; but I can't get Android to do the HSTouch flash that I am using.

The last picture is of the Joggler in front of the Chumby and XP Atom based client.
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

i've uploaded screenshots of mine here aswell, I went for the simplicity option and these are non RDP Linux HSTouch clients running on the Joggler using the same version of Ubuntu. The charts are Google charts and being generated from a couple of plugins...

Got a few more screens to make along the way to adjust some of the settings in HS (with perhaps a password screen) and to restart HS, so I can do some alterations of the config of HS without loading up the Web/VNC GUI.

Comment

mrhappy - is the response time for HSTouch acceptable running as the client? Meaning, is there much lag?

I would suspect that Pete's VNC approach would be a little faster since HSTouch is running back on the server?

Very interesting you guys!
      Last edited by rmasonjr; August 24, 2011, 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling is alsome
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I might make a video - not sure how good my digital camera is at videos though to show you, I don't see any particular lag with the Linux client. If I use RDP I do see imperfections in the graphics caused by compression over the network. I'm in a bit of a quandry to either live with the graphics imperfections and in turn get the full functionality of the windows HSTouch client (the linux client has a few bugs/missing features) - its like the old beauty vs. brains argument.

Heres a shot of it running RDP (and it does look like this on the actual screen of the device).
        Last edited by mrhappy; May 23, 2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I'm using VNC server on the Joggler to manage the Joggler desktop. I'm using RDP from the Joggler to a W2003 terminal server (now with 5 HSTouch sessions). It is much faster than the Chumby. I also use VNC server via the Joggler SSH session to generate a separate playable VNC X windows session. All of them make the Joggler easy to play with. Each windows RDP session runs off the same HSTouch.exe file and saves the configurations in its own documents file. The screen sizes with the Joggler are smaller than what I've been using (mostly 800X600 4:3) HSTouch TTS works fine on the Joggler.

Adam your screens are very nice.

Yeah running the Linux HSTouch version I was horsing around with the fonts and couldn't get flash working (well it was partially working).

Whats nice about the Joggler / Chumby is just sticking them between my wife's pictures / tables in the house; very innocuous. I am using wired connections for the Joggler and Chumbys.

I did a couple of videos yesterday; will post them shortly.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Half the time (well 75%) I have no idea what you guys are talking about, I have to go to Bing 4 or 5 times just to read a post! I love it, can't get enough of it. Waiting for you guys to break out into String or M theory posts!! Thanks for the lessons.

Comment

Here are the You Tube videos.

I put a digital SLR in video mode. It autofocuses on the reflections initially.

Thank you Tony for the compliment. Thank you Adam for showing us the way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCYkEDXySqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhpJXaKCOq0
              Last edited by Pete; August 24, 2011, 07:54 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

i'll join the club aswell - i've uploaded a video here (not sure how clear its going to come out) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBehyx5YNQ4, some of the screens do take a couple of seconds to load and that is more down to the fact they are loading for the first time since it booted up, they will load instantly next time the button is pressed. Some of them don't look like they load at all when I press the buttons and thats only because its 2AM (and i'm listening to Katy Perry, is there any hope left for me) and I missed them first time . Theres also a 60 seconds wait for the client to load, thats left over from the previous Linux release when I only wanted to load HSTouch after it had finished loading everything else, I could probably remove that really...

I also am using a wired network connection and the USB stick for the Linux OS is inside the Joggler rather than on the side USB port.

Comment

Very nice there Adam.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Adam,

Curious what you are doing to keep the Ubuntu 11.04 from falling asleep. I keep trying different things on the Linux side; right now I have it set to 2 hours; initially I had the power savings features to off; yet they remained on. With the Chumbys they are staying away running HSTouch; and I just shut off the backlight.

Just noticed a new Joggler Ubuntu 11.04 release dated August 16, 2011; might try that one instead.

BTW for the sound I have redone the user rights to the "joggler" profile and adjusted HS such that it sends the TTS audio to the Joggler. Works fine and is faster than the Chumby relating to the delays of audio. Plenty loud at about a 50% or so volume setting. At 100% it distorts too much; loud though. Chumby's have a better speaker design. Funny cuz the 3.5" Insignia sounds like a small boom box; even has bass.

I am running RDP in either 16 bit or 24 bit mode. The base Joggler specs are using the Intel GMA500 with HW acceleration and display runs at 24bit 800X480. I see the flash overlay "defects" better on the Joggler than the XP Atom based HSTouchscreen. There is a documented auto-light sensor; can't find it though.

I can't make a good picture of a screen shot with VNC; but here's an "analogue" "digital" picture of the Joggler, Chumby and XP Atom clients. I'm not really good at colors. The XP client on the Lilliput colors looks washed out, its OK on the Chumby and "crispier" on the Joggler. In the picture below you see the Joggler in front, Chumby to the left and Lilliput to the right.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; August 25, 2011, 10:56 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Adam,

Curious what you are doing to keep the Ubuntu 11.04 from falling asleep. I keep trying different things on the Linux side; right now I have it set to 2 hours; initially I had the power savings features to off; yet they remained on. With the Chumbys they are staying away running HSTouch; and I just shut off the backlight.
                      Thanks for the compliment Pete about the video, there is some form of bug with the power saving settings that seem to stay regardless of what the GUI has been set at. I turn the screensaver off and have the screen timeout set to never.

I had to add a few lines to the xorg.conf file that in turn keeps it alive when it boots up, i'll dig out the lines I added and post them here...mine now all stay alive 24x7, I did think about setting the screen to go to sleep but found that i'd end up pressing the screen to wake the device up and in turn press something on the screen and turn something on or something...

Comment

Thank you Adam.

On the Chumby's XOrg.conf file I used the following to prevent the Chumby's from sleeping; are you doing the same with the Joggler?

Section "Monitor"
                        Identifier "ICS-Chumby-3 Monitor"
                        Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
                        Identifier "ICS-Chumby-3 Screen"
                        Device "ICS-Chumby-3 Video Device"
                        Monitor "ICS-Chumby-3 Monitor"
                        EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
                        Option "BlankTime" "0"
                        Option "StandbyTime" "0"
                        Option "SuspendTime" "0"
                        Option "OffTime" "0"
                        EndSection
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

hmm...now i've confused myself. I've got three of them and the settings are as follows;

Joggler 1 - Screensaver - unticked "Activate screensaver when computer is idle", Power Management - put display to sleep when inactive set to never, nothing extra in xorg.conf file.

Joggler 2 - Identical settings as Joggler #1 apart from this entry in xorg.conf file (in /etc/x11 directory)

Code:
                          Section "ServerFlags"
                              Option "BlankTime" "0"
                              Option "StandbyTime" "0"
                              Option "SuspendTime" "0"
                              Option "OffTime" "0"
                          EndSection
                          Joggler 3 - all the same as Joggler #1 but no entry in xorg.conf files

All I can say is that they don't now have any problems with them going to sleep, they certainly used to though and have now somehow fixed themselves and seem to be OK without the entries to the xorg.conf file

I've also uploaded a few more photos to the gallery linked to earlier that show where my setups are, i've got a bit of a temporary install where I had to install one of them in my kitchen and the power supply has ended up behind my toaster

Comment

Thanks Adam.

Yes I have it set such that:

Power Management - put display to sleep when inactive set to never,
                            I haven't played/looked at the xorg.conf file.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Here are three YouTube videos showing TTS running on HSTouch Clients.

1 - XP running on an Atom based HSTouch client with a Lilliput 8" Touchscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqiya50xVQ0

2 - Chumby running on an Arm based HSTouch Linux to RDP client with a Lilliput 8" Touchscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w2UhASErWA

3 - Joggler running on an Atom based HSTouch Ubuntu 11.04 Linux to RDP client with an 8" capacitance Touchscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPyEfjg-ftA

4 - Joggler running on an Atom based HSTouch Android client (Froyo tweaked with Apps version) with an 8" capacitance Touchscreen. I've have to restart HS in order for the Android HS Server to function. I have noticed that the Android screen remains on and doesn't shut off.

I kept seeing a Desktop Heap Allocation error with the W2003 2Gb server when I would reboot it. A quick look with Google and found the following. Did the fix as documented and the Desktop heap errors are gone now with 5 RDP sessions to HSTouch. I couldn't get any Android sound and the Flash files to work; its faster but lacks fonts and placements are off using the Joggler HSTouch screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWyS99ffnbE

1. Click on Start - and in search type regedit and press enter.
                              2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\
                              3. Make backup of your key! Click on File menu and choose Export. Give it a name and choose the destination. Click Save and there it is - a backup of your SubSystems reg key. Just in case you want the original key back.
                              4. Doubleclick on Windows key in the right pane.
                              5. In Value data field scroll left or right using arrow keys until you find this:
                              SharedSection=1024,3072,512. Change 3072 into 4096 so it reads: SharedSection=1024,4096,512
                              Last edited by Pete; August 27, 2011, 10:14 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X