Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Variable Speed Trane/Lennox/Anything Plugin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable Speed Trane/Lennox/Anything Plugin?

Are there any plugins that work with the variable speed hvac systems? Seems like our only real option is a two or 3 stage system with nest.

Seems like there are a ton of people that want to control trane or lennox or anything variable speed but cant with the current state of plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrguy View Post
      Seems like there are a ton of people that want to control trane or lennox or anything variable speed but cant with the current state of plugins.
      As a work-around, I am using IFTTT to get HomeSeer to control my Trane (Nexia) systems. It is a bit cumbersome, but it works.

Elliott
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
      "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Most of the variable speed controls nowadays are controlled internally to ensure proper airflow, energy savings, etc. What did you want to do in particular that the current thermostats are unable to do?

Z

Comment

Trying to do? Integrate with homeseer so I can monitor and change settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
            As a work-around, I am using IFTTT to get HomeSeer to control my Trane (Nexia) systems. It is a bit cumbersome, but it works.

Elliott
            what functionality do you have with it? Is it only a 1 way street (i.e. can set temp but cant get current temp?)

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
              Most of the variable speed controls nowadays are controlled internally to ensure proper airflow, energy savings, etc. What did you want to do in particular that the current thermostats are unable to do?

Z

To everyone asking.... THIS!

Why would you want to get yourself into a proprietary system when you don't need to? With the Trane Z-Wave thermostats I have you can control a ground source or air source heat pump! I put one on a Waterfurnace that has an inverter compressor not too long ago.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Trying to do? Integrate with homeseer so I can monitor and change settings.
                Look at the XR524 (Homeseer) and XR624. They do both control and monitoring and work on Zwave. I doubt there's anything about your system they won't provide for you. They're a bit of a pain with DST and time keeping, but there's a simple workaround for that.

Z

Comment

what functionality do you have with it? Is it only a 1 way street (i.e. can set temp but cant get current temp?)
                  Yes, unfortunately, it is a one-way street. I do have Aeon Tech Energy Meters on the HVAC to determine when the HVAC is running and when it is idle. I use this information to control ceiling fans. Elliott
                  "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                  "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

I have Lennox iComfort, and I consulted with an HVAC guy, and he informed me that my furnace is a Carrier, and it has a variable speed motor, but the variable speed is controlled by the Carrier motherboard which is on a timer of some sort. If the target hasn't been reached within a certain amount of time, the motor speeds up. The Lennox interface box is 'supposedly' only acting as an off/on with no logic involved. I do have Lennox Condensers, so maybe the 'Special' Lennox iComfort is more involved with the cooling. I'll probably need another opinion before I pull the trigger on something else, but this non-zwave HVAC is in my crosshairs. I'm just not informed enough to know what the iComfort is doing that's so 'Special' other than the thermostat itself is very pretty on the wall.

Comment

Working...
                    X