Plugin to monitor Z-Wave battery device Health - CLOSED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
    Further information on reported battery discharge rates.
    I have an Everspring Siren whose battery has been at 80% for a number of months now. The battery life on the Everspring devices is generally really good. Anyway, it is now occasionally reporting 70% and then back to 80%. The discharge rate therefore keeps jumping up and then going back to zero. The battery level will probably settle at 70% after a few days and then stay like that for another few months.

I think I might default to turning off alerts on high discharge rate.

Perhaps the average discharge rate since batteries were replaced would be a better value to report. This would be less affected by fluctuations although an increase in discharge rate would be less obvious. It would also require saving the starting level (not necessarily 100%) which I don't currently do.

Steve
    The lock I mentioned also jumped UP just after I posted about it - to 86% then settled back a while later to 84%
    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
      The lock I mentioned also jumped UP just after I posted about it - to 86% then settled back a while later to 84%
      Thanks, that explains the high reported discharge rate when it dropped back to 84%.

Steve

Comment

Thought I would chime in about this plugin. I have several new devices, "Sensitive Strips" for access notification. See attached image.

This plugin works very well.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ralnet View Post
          Thought I would chime in about this plugin. I have several new devices, "Sensitive Strips" for access notification. See attached image.

This plugin works very well.

I'm glad it's working for you.
          Steve

Comment

I've added optional logging of battery values to an SQLite database so the History of battery levels can be shown in the monitoring devices. 'History' button temporarily displays the battery history rather than current state. See attached. I need to setup a Linux test bed tomorrow before I post the update.

Installation is becoming more complicated (particularly with different System.Data.SQLite.dll files for Windows and Linux) so I'm configuring a proper installation method using the updater_override.txt method.

Steve
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
              I need to setup a Linux test bed tomorrow before I post the update.
              I've run in to an issue with SQLite in the Linux version which will delay me for a while.

Steve

Comment

Obtaining data without monitoring the HS Log

Hello SteveMSJ,
                Using your plugin for a couple months now and it works great! It's already helped me catch a couple devices that weren't communicating and helped find a few low batteries. Used the status icon from the root device on HS3Touch for an easy to see health status.

One small issue is the HS log is getting quite full with chatter re: Poll and Wakeup messages. Wondering if you will be working on obtaining the data SDJ-Health needs without needing to have this enabled?

Looks like you are delving into using SQLite and this could be a related update/project.

Comment

Originally posted by mwolter View Post
                  One small issue is the HS log is getting quite full with chatter re: Poll and Wakeup messages. Wondering if you will be working on obtaining the data SDJ-Health needs without needing to have this enabled?
                  With LogLevel set to 0 there shouldn't be any logging from SDJ-Health other than error messages. However, for the plug-in to be able to detect when non-listening Z-Wave devices wake up it is necessary to have the Z-Wave plug-in log wakeup messages. HS3 doesn't expose the received wake-up commands so I don't know any way to monitor this other than through the logged messages.

If you really wanted to turn off Z-Wave logging of wakeup messages then you would need to set SDJ-Health to monitor the devices using 'Activity Monitoring'. Take a backup and then turn off 'Monitor Log for Wakeups', delete all the monitoring devices that were using this method (not the root) and then select the devices from the list in 'Devices requiring activity monitoring'. This will create new monitoring devices that the plugin will periodically check for activity.
                  It will monitor the battery details fine but monitoring whether the device is alive is only effective if the devices send fairly regular data so that the plug-in detects they are active. It should work fine for a temperature sensor, for example, but not for something like a water leak detector which doesn't report anything for days on end. You could turn off 'Alerts on Missed Wakeups' for some devices and still monitor the battery levels though.
                  Personally I would live with the Z-Wave logs of wakeup messages.

Steve

Comment

In HS3 Tools> Setup> General> Log Color, I filtered the keyword "SDJ-Health" to a very light gray so it dosen't stand out in my log so much.

Comment

Ended up taking YvMo's advice and changed the color for everything matching "SDJ-Health" and also added "Wake-Up" and "wake up".

Checked to see how many entries this affected and it was over 20k, a little less than 1/3 or all logs.

It's a little easier to see view the other log entries but would be great to not have them

Comment

Originally posted by mwolter View Post
                        Ended up taking YvMo's advice and changed the color for everything matching "SDJ-Health" and also added "Wake-Up" and "wake up".

If you are getting any SDJ-Health messages with LogLevel set to 0 let me know and I will look into it. There shouldn't be any but I could easily have messed up

Steve

Comment

I tried this on my Zee S2 and it worked ok. However I just moved to a z-net and HS3 on windows pc and I only get the heartbeat of the CO/Smoke detector. I don't get a half dozen other battery powered devices.

I fooled around with various config settings yet nothing seems to trigger any other reports. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                            I tried this on my Zee S2 and it worked ok. However I just moved to a z-net and HS3 on windows pc and I only get the heartbeat of the CO/Smoke detector. I don't get a half dozen other battery powered devices.

I fooled around with various config settings yet nothing seems to trigger any other reports. Any help would be appreciated.
                            Are they non-listening Z-Wave devices? If so search your log for Z-Wave 'Wake-Up Notification Received' messages to indicate the devices are waking up.
                            Make sure that 'Log Poll and Wake-Up messages' is ticked in 'Network Options'.

Steve

Comment

They are non-listening.

I do not have an option to "log poll and wake-up messages" in setup.

I will check my log later on.

I got it to work by going to the SDJ config and clicking the devices that required Monitor Activity and Monitor Polling. All seems well, thanks for a great addition to HS3.
                              Last edited by racerfern; April 5, 2017, 06:32 PM. Reason: add on

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                                They are non-listening.

I do not have an option to "log poll and wake-up messages" in setup.

I will check my log later on.

I got it to work by going to the SDJ config and clicking the devices that required Monitor Activity and Monitor Polling. All seems well, thanks for a great addition to HS3.

Comment

Working...
                                X