More Flash Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Flash Stuff

Just thought I would post this. Haven’t really seen a demo that takes it to the next level (w/source). Here is a sample of Flash and HS building on some of the pieces I have found around the board. This is an addition to the work, Ultra Jones, Gary Spanilio and Mechanic have done. With the addition that Mechanic did to the .vbs script – adding Location_Finder and Device_Finder, I added MODE 7 the ability to control the devices and added to Mechanic’s demo the ability to turn a device On/Off. The Flash interface could have a few more things done to it like, changing the status of the buttons to show an On/Off state and clearing the screen from old vars and so on and comment out Debug statements in the VBScript. The purpose of the post is to let you see how it all comes together.

I really did this to learn how to interface Flash and HS. As, my ultimate goal is to develop and touch screen interface in Flash for HS. Which I plan to post when completed. That’s it for now happy learning. By the way I am not a programmer so if it’s messy – Oh Well – at least it works.

To install and run copy all files (except the .fla) into Homeseer/html and browse the html file in your browser.

-Glenn
    Attached Files

A few things I noticed:
    1) I noticed that the "close menu" closes all levels, not just one.
    2) fairly slow... less automation would be desired.
    3) Menu items from last choice stays when new locations have less items.

Suggested possible navagation schemes:
    1) "tree" structure - quick & easy navagation!
    2) Grouping items w/ status like most do with thier custom ASP pages would be desireable. Like this: http://crystal.dnsalias.org:8080/
    making each area expand or collapse as desired

I guess the key is to make multiple views available, each is useful for different situations.

I've also thought that a view with multiple "tabs" for the smaller touchscreens (Audrey & Fuji's) is the best way to go here. I have the beginning of my project started... I will add tabs next to add additional controls such as A/V equipment via IR.
    Attached Files

Comment

Glenn - very nice job! I just unzipped it, and it worked with no mods. This brings us towards having a slick interface that is touch screen capable. If you are soliciting suggestions, here are mine:

- Standard functionality (as you've got) right out of the box, but with the ability to change colors, button style, and labels.

- Ability to place buttons, text, graphics, device status, or device names in specific locations on the screen.

- When you pick a different location, the appropriate sublist comes up, without having to close the sublist first.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks, Glenn, works great!

I had wanted to do the on/off thing myself, but spent so much time learning Flash that I didn't have any left over to finish it!

I'm going to look at Glenn's on/off code and see how hard it is to change colors. I know you can do the flat box colors fairly easily, but I'm not sure the "look and feel" graphics can be changed on the fly. Most of the comments I see here are bug fixes as opposed to major changes, so they could come first.

The GUI would probably need a complete re-work to accomodate any major changes anyway, so maybe I can look at incorporating some different ideas.

TTFN

Comment

Great! Glad you like it. Like I said in the original post. This was just for (me and anyone else to learn the interface HS/vbs/Flash). I have since added to more cases to the .vbs, “Event control” and “IR control”. I am working right now on the IR control GUI in Flash. Kind of like a ProntoPro, but WiFi’ed on massive next gen techy steroids. Ooohhwaaahh!! It’ really quite kewl. I am also working on a Flash interface using all the tools of the .vbs file. What I am planning on doing in the Flash interface is to pull the Location, Device info via the .vbs then dynamically create the icons and Loc/Dev descriptions. In order to do so it will be mostly action script in Flash. The only thing I am mulling around w/is the images/icons. I will most likely set up a text file that will be read-in by Flash which will identify which icons to use as HS does not support icons at this time (I have seen it posted on the wish list though requesting this feature).

I am doing this because I am going to control all of my automation and A/V stuff through a single WiFi device. In this case I have selected the Casio BE-300 and a CF-WiFi card. The whole package retail is around $300.00. As soon as I finish the IR interface in Flash I will post the file. The IR Flash interface is hard coded, as there is no way that I know of to get the names from HS dynamically and besides everyone has different remotes and combinations of equipment.

Comment

Here is an update on "our" file, Glenn. It has the following changes (documented in the HTML file):
            - modified the mechmenu.vbs location section to remove duplicates when a location has spaces in it.
            - Trapped & removed "Weather" as an invalid Location
            - Trapped & removed "Computer" as an invalid Device Type
            - Made the CLOSE buttons do what you'd expect them to (they're still too small, too).

I looked at the color options and it looks like it should be easy, but I couldn't get my brain around it in the limited time I had today.

There are lots of folks that would like to see a wireless interface, so keep in touch on the Casio project. I would think that reading in text is easy, it's dynamic icons that would give you fits. I went thorough about 10 Flash tutorials and by the time I'd finished, I had forgotten the first one.

Keep posting!

[This message was edited by Mechanic on Friday, 26 April 2002 at 12:33 PM.]

Comment

Regards,
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X