Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OctoPrint (3D Printer Control) and Homeseer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OctoPrint (3D Printer Control) and Homeseer.

Hello all,
    I'm currently in the process of converting my 3D Printers and their control to OctoPrint, (RPi2 & 3 based) and would like to know if there is a way that I could have OctoPrint Talk to HS3 and visa-versa?

OctoPrint's API looks pretty robust, but not knowing anything linux, I'm not able to make use of it.

I see spud has a Raspberry Pi plug-in but looks like it's GPIO based.

Anything else out there?
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Let me take a look and see. I am using Octoprint as well.

What are you looking to do? Automate turning on preheating?

I hadn't really thought of a real need to integrate into Homeseer, but I am interested in hearing ideas - they may spark some on my end as well :-)

Comment

I'm currently using octoprint with the mqtt plugin. I try to get the homeseer mqtt plugin to work.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by airedale View Post
        Let me take a look and see. I am using Octoprint as well.

What are you looking to do? Automate turning on preheating?

I hadn't really thought of a real need to integrate into Homeseer, but I am interested in hearing ideas - they may spark some on my end as well :-)
        I think mostly status updates inside of HS, so I can handle messaging (status updates with pictures); controlling air filtration systems (example: ABS I need all filtration turned on, PLA only local filtration); monitor filament outages.

With a robust Status System in place, skies the limit on what I could control via HS.

The only command functions at this point would be power on/off the printer when starting/completing prints. My printers hang off appliance switches.
        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton View Post
          I'm currently using octoprint with the mqtt plugin. I try to get the homeseer mqtt plugin to work.

Did you get it working, and if so what are you able to do?
          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

In theory you should at least get status of prints. And that's what I want to reach. I'll try it out this weekend, if it works I'll share settings.

Comment

In my first (very minimal) version do the following:

I have created two virtual MQTT devices with the MQTT plugin.
              They listen to:
              octoprint/event/PrintStarted
              octoprint/event/PrintDone
              The devices only update status, not value.

When one of these devices change I know the status of the printer changed and follow up. So I now send a pushover message when a print starts or ends. But I could also start a timer or do something else in an event.

Next step; use the JSON information provided in the payload of the message from octoprint to be get a more specific pushover message.

conclusion after ten minutes of trying; it should be possible to get Octoprint connected to Homeseer. Now the question, what do I want achieve except push messaging? What where your ideas?

Comment

They listen to:

When one of these devices change I know the status of the printer changed and follow up. So I now send a pushover message when a print starts or ends. But I could also start a timer or do something else in an event.

Next step; use the JSON information provided in the payload of the message from octoprint to be get a more specific pushover message.

conclusion after ten minutes of trying; it should be possible to get Octoprint connected to Homeseer. Now the question, what do I want achieve except push messaging? What where your ideas?
                Wow, that's fantastic, now I just need to learn how to use MQTT. Thank you for testing that out!.

I think mostly status updates inside of HS, so I can handle messaging (status updates with pictures); controlling air filtration systems (example: ABS I need all filtration turned on, PLA only local filtration); monitor filament outages.

With a robust Status System in place, skies the limit on what I could control via HS.

The only command functions at this point would be power on/off the printer when starting/completing prints. My printers hang off appliance switches, so I need some way to power on an appliance switch from with-in OctoPrint, so that OctorPrint can connect to the printer and start communications.
                RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Phaeton,

Were you ever able to get this working the way you intended? I have just started using OctoPrint and have the same goal.

They listen to:

Comment

Just a followup...

I'm now using a RPi3, HS3 and MQTT Plugin, Octoprint & MQTT Plugin, and Pushover 3P to do the following.

1) When saving out a S3D print to the watched folder on the Pi. Turns printer on after 2 min.

2) When print is started in Octoprint, depending on the file name, HS3 will turn on and control certain filtration systems (House Fan, Fresh Air Intake, Internal 3D Printer Filtration, Etc)

3) HS3 updates print progress and sends a Pushover msg at 25,50,75%.

4) If print contains a pause command, HS3 will send a Pushover msg.

5) If there are any errors, HS3 will send a Pushover msg.

6) When print is complete, HS3 will send a Pushover msg.

7) After print has completed, HS3 will keep filtration system running for 15min, and @ 30min will shut down the machine, unless another print is initiated.

Next up:

1) On/Off commands for the printers inside of Octoprint, via a MQTT command if possible.

2) Send Print Picture on completion.

3) some other stuff.
                    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                      Just a followup...

I'm now using a RPi3, HS3 and MQTT Plugin, Octoprint & MQTT Plugin, and Pushover 3P to do the following.

1) When saving out a S3D print to the watched folder on the Pi. Turns printer on after 2 min.

2) When print is started in Octoprint, depending on the file name, HS3 will turn on and control certain filtration systems (House Fan, Fresh Air Intake, Internal 3D Printer Filtration, Etc)

3) HS3 updates print progress and sends a Pushover msg at 25,50,75%.

4) If print contains a pause command, HS3 will send a Pushover msg.

5) If there are any errors, HS3 will send a Pushover msg.

6) When print is complete, HS3 will send a Pushover msg.

7) After print has completed, HS3 will keep filtration system running for 15min, and @ 30min will shut down the machine, unless another print is initiated.

Next up:

1) On/Off commands for the printers inside of Octoprint, via a MQTT command if possible.

2) Send Print Picture on completion.

3) some other stuff.
                      Interesting as I think my printer (Anet A8) can talk to Octoprint (and I have a couple of spare Pi's knocking around) so I should have a look as I was looking at some type of HS integration. I can usually tell if there is an error by the sound of the print head smashing against something and it's finished when the neighbours stop moaning about the noise

Comment

Update:
                        Thanks to jneilliii over on the OctoPrint GIT, We now have the ability to easily send MQTT messages to HS3 to perform additional functions from the OctoPrint UI.

His plug in is called MQTTPublish and should be in the plug-in repository by now.
                        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

As an alternative to MQTT, check out https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...for-homeseer-3
                          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                            As an alternative to MQTT, check out https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...for-homeseer-3
                            Whoa.... Thank You!
                            RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
                            X