Buying Switches and Dimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Switches and Dimmers

I will be buying some Z-wave switches and dimmers. Historically, I have purchased Cooper(from HomeSeer)and have been pleased with performance/reliability/and aesthetics. I am interested in matching what I have and noticed the Homeseer Store is emphasizing their brand to the exclusion of Cooper. So looking elswhere I notice this "Eaton" brand which look a lot like Cooper. Anyone have experience with Eaton and know it's history?

Thanks for any input,
    BobSpen

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
    I will be buying some Z-wave switches and dimmers. Historically, I have purchased Cooper(from HomeSeer)and have been pleased with performance/reliability/and aesthetics. I am interested in matching what I have and noticed the Homeseer Store is emphasizing their brand to the exclusion of Cooper. So looking elswhere I notice this "Eaton" brand which look a lot like Cooper. Anyone have experience with Eaton and know it's history?

Thanks for any input,
    BobSpen
    I think you'll find that Cooper was acquired by Eaton a few years ago. It's probably rebranding
    cheeryfool

Comment

Thanks for any input,
      BobSpen
      I don't make any commission and I know you would like to keep the looks the same but after upgrading my coopers and GE's to homeseer switches I'm sure happy. You just can't beat the features. Firmware updates, double and triple tap, instant status and different ramp rates for manual or z-wave control.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
        I don't make any commission and I know you would like to keep the looks the same but after upgrading my coopers and GE's to homeseer switches I'm sure happy. You just can't beat the features. Firmware updates, double and triple tap, instant status and different ramp rates for manual or z-wave control.
        +1

Comment

and this is why I want to buy them as well; however, no toggle style switches so I'm going to start purchasing the GE zwave + units after I get a zwave + controller. @ $40 each and a ton to replace, gonna be a while.. hah
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
            and this is why I want to buy them as well; however, no toggle style switches so I'm going to start purchasing the GE zwave + units after I get a zwave + controller. @ $40 each and a ton to replace, gonna be a while.. hah
            I have been using the zen23 and zen24 switches from thesmartesthouse dot com for about 6 months with no issues. They turn on and off immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
              I have been using the zen23 and zen24 switches from thesmartesthouse dot com for about 6 months with no issues. They turn on and off immediately.
              WOW THANKS!!!
              The first switch with Direct 3-way Solution - wires to your existing mechanical switch! (neutral required)

so 3 way doesn't need slave and also cheaper!!!!
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Thanks all, for your inputs. I have read good reviews on the Homeseer switches and for those of you who have some experience with them, a few questions:

1) Do the Homeseer switches have "real" instant status or the simulated that only works if you have direct connection to the controller?

2) Do they work well with somewhat inductive loads like bathroom fans. Some that I tried a few years ago would lockup with these loads--probably not enough line noise protection.

3) Do they work well as dimmers with light loads like a single LED bulb? And, do they work over the full range dimming capability of the bulb(s).

4) How do you dim manually--I don't see a "dimming bar"?

5) Lastly, what do we know about the quality of the components used and lifetimes(I experienced "0" failure rate on Cooper and significant failure rates with the cheaper brands). I'm hoping for something like 15-20 year lifetimes with less than 5% to 10% fail rate over that time. Realistic?

Thanks again for more responses,

Bobpen

Comment

Thanks all, for your inputs. I have read good reviews on the Homeseer switches and for those of you who have some experience with them, a few questions:

1) Do the Homeseer switches have "real" instant status or the simulated that only works if you have direct connection to the controller?

2) Do they work well with somewhat inductive loads like bathroom fans. Some that I tried a few years ago would lockup with these loads--probably not enough line noise protection.

3) Do they work well as dimmers with light loads like a single LED bulb? And, do they work over the full range dimming capability of the bulb(s).

4) How do you dim manually--I don't see a "dimming bar"?

5) Lastly, what do we know about the quality of the components used and lifetimes(I experienced "0" failure rate on Cooper and significant failure rates with the cheaper brands). I'm hoping for something like 15-20 year lifetimes with less than 5% to 10% fail rate over that time. Realistic?

Thanks again for more responses,

Bobpen
                  Michael

Comment

I agree and I havent had any switch besides the blue led fail on a GE switch fail. But homeseer switches I only had for 1 year. I'm not sure how these will be in 20 years but I'm pretty sure I won't own them that long. I have already upgrades one after 3 or 4 years as it is. I'm sure in 20 years ill probley be using somthing much better or be in a different house.

Comment

I agree and I havent had any switch besides the blue led fail on a GE switch fail. But homeseer switches I only had for 1 year. I'm not sure how these will be in 20 years but I'm pretty sure I won't own them that long. I have already upgrades one after 3 or 4 years as it is. I'm sure in 20 years ill probley be using somthing much better or be in a different house.
                      Good point. But rvtvlr saying "couple of fails in a year" doesn't sound encouraging unless he has 100's?

BobSpen

Comment

Good point. But rvtvlr saying "couple of fails in a year" doesn't sound encouraging unless he has 100's?

BobSpen
                        Yeah I'm not sure about a couple failures in a year either. That's not my experience and more info would be nice.

I have around homeseer switches (all converted from GE) and the vacation house has around 50 GE's still, no new homeseer switches there yet. I probably have 80-90 total switches and no real failures even with the GE's for past several years.

Comment

I have 42 HS switches/dimmers.
                          Michael

Comment

What's up with the failed ones? What happened and how many?

Comment

Hello can you tell me if there is a light in my home with 2 or more switches. Do I need all the switches to be smart or just one ?

Comment

Working...
                              X