No announcement yet.

Help choosing switches and dimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After staring at the node information page for a long time I saw something under the device I was testing:

Last Working Route: 19->4 (40K)

Then a comment earlier in this thread finally started making sense to me:

GE/Jasco switches can work with HomeSeer for instant status but only if they're in direct communication with the interface (Z-NET, SmartStick+). Instant status does not work via routing.
    So I tried typing "Direct" in the Set Route textbox that showed to the right and that did the trick. Instant status suddenly started working! With some caveats:

• I did notice that turning the switch on and off rapidly seems to break instant status updates, with the last entry in the logs showing something like:
      Code:
      Dinning Room Wall Light signal received, requesting status.
      . When instant status is working, that line usually comes followed by something like:
      Code:
      Device: Dinning Room Wall Light Set to OFF
      . Could this be due to message saturation in the network? Regardless, changing the state of the switch through the HS website restores the instant status functionality.

• I also noticed that a Full Optimize operation sets the old route information back and breaks instant status updates. If I go back to node information and override it with Direct again things start working. I guess I'll have to disable Z-Health so it doesn't override the route every night.

So... it isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by avargaskun View Post
      I just double checked, and that is indeed the model I bought:
      Yes Version: 3.67 (ZDK 4.55)
      OK, "ZDK" is what's important and 4.55 is fine.

Originally posted by avargaskun View Post
      After staring at the node information page for a long time I saw something under the device I was testing:

Last Working Route: 19->4 (40K)

Then a comment earlier in this thread finally started making sense to me:

So I tried typing "Direct" in the Set Route textbox that showed to the right and that did the trick. Instant status suddenly started working! With some caveats:

• I did notice that turning the switch on and off rapidly seems to break instant status updates, with the last entry in the logs showing something like:
        Code:
        Dinning Room Wall Light signal received, requesting status.
        . When instant status is working, that line usually comes followed by something like:
        Code:
        Device: Dinning Room Wall Light Set to OFF
        . Could this be due to message saturation in the network? Regardless, changing the state of the switch through the HS website restores the instant status functionality.

• I also noticed that a Full Optimize operation sets the old route information back and breaks instant status updates. If I go back to node information and override it with Direct again things start working. I guess I'll have to disable Z-Health so it doesn't override the route every night.

So... it isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing!
      GE switches send an a certain type of data packet when you control them manually. When HS3 detects this, it immediately polls the switch. There will naturally be some latency in this process so if you turn the switch on and off rapidly, you may end up with the wrong status displayed. Also, the data packet will not route to HS3, so "instant status" only works for nodes that communicate directly with the interface.

DO NOT USE Z-HEALTH unless you're always making changes to your network. In fact, don't optimize at all if everything is working well. There's no benefit to doing this and (as you've found out) you may end up undoing things you don't want undone.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        DO NOT USE Z-HEALTH unless you're always making changes to your network. In fact, don't optimize at all if everything is working well. There's no benefit to doing this and (as you've found out) you may end up undoing things you don't want undone.
        OK, I'm a little speechless. Thanks for the info, but who was to know? And Why? And... And... And.... ?!?!???!!!???!

REALLY?
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
          OK, I'm a little speechless. Thanks for the info, but who was to know? And Why? And... And... And.... ?!?!???!!!???!

REALLY?
          I've mentioned this a few times over the years:

http://forums.homeseer.com/showpost....07&postcount=8

http://forums.homeseer.com/showpost....06&postcount=3

http://forums.homeseer.com/showpost....37&postcount=5

Comment

That's a lot like a friend of mine being written up for "failure to take a direct hint."

The assumption, of course, is that everybody reads every thread..... and I really can't wrap my head around "frequently moving [Z-wave] items around in your home."

Anyway, Z-health got my network working again. For that I am grateful. Thanks for the info....
            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
            Home Assistant 2024.3
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
              The assumption, of course, is that everybody reads every thread..... and I really can't wrap my head around "frequently moving [Z-wave] items around in your home."
              Actually I assume nobody (except maybe Rupp) reads every thread. That's why I included the links.

Very few people move nodes around (frequently or otherwise), which is why Z-Health is not terribly beneficial for most people.

Comment

Working...
              X