Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create a fonctionnal MQTT device ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not aware of any TV that allows one to push text or image to its screen. It it not something that I have researched. The Rube Goldberg method would be to have a video source that has the info to display and then have automation to select the source input on the TV to show this video. Similar concept using picture in picture (PIP).

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
      Hi,

Found this thread while looking for ways to display message on my LG TV with WebOS. It's a B6 OLED about a year old.

Do I need to have a RPi to do this, or other Linux type machine? I don't have either and would love a way to be able to display a message on the TV.

Thanks!
      You need to install the lgtv2mqtt package. You can install it on windows and on linux.

Chek how to install npm on widows with node.js, or on linux.

yes sending messages to the tv works .

But for me, when i activate anything related to the net on the tv.. the tv start to go in. Stanbymode when i put it off...and i am not able to remove this ‘’bug’’ after.
      maybe it is just my tv. I also have a b6

Comment

Can you explain the part about activating the net, and standby mode, a little further? When you say activate, are you referring to a setting on the TV? I'm already connected via LAN. Also, what is standby mode and why is that bad?

So first I'd need to install Node.js on my Windows machine, and then install lgtv2mqtt, correct? Do I also need Mosquito or something like that? Is there a tutorial for all of this somewhere?

Where can I find a list of commands I can send to my TV?

Thanks!
        HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
        Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I found the list of commands: https://www.npmjs.com/package/lgtv2mqtt and https://github.com/hobbyquaker/lgtv2mqtt
          HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
          Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Yes you meed to install a mqtt broker like mosquitto . You can install it on windows.

and you would need a mqtt client like the mscmqtt hs3 plugin to send and receive messages via mqtt.

i mooved my hs3 install from windows to linux 4 month ago . So it’s a little hard to send you screenshot of the proces on windows

Comment

Understandable about the screenshots. Thank you for the primer, though. I think I'm going to start a new thread about MQTT to solicit some additional info. I don't want to hijack this one any further.

Comment

In the meantime,

You can try to install node-red on windows ( yes you have to install npm/ node-js/ mosquito on windows too). Just write for ex: how to install node-red on windows, or how to install mosquito on windows, etc. -- On google.

and try the node package https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-lgtv ( at that step i'll be able to assist you).

--

Also..You'll find node-red ( + the node-red-contrib-lgtv-package) more intuitive and more easy to manage than a npm package alone ( witch need a way to restart itself it the program fail, or simply start a boot ( a bat.file can do the job for that but it can prevent crash of the program)) etc... ...You can do that with a program called ''PM2''... but if i was you I would start with the node-red approach).
                Last edited by ; October 2, 2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

For a better pre- and post- processing of MQTT messages you may try Big5 plug-in for HS3. On the incoming side you can create/update HS3 devices depending on the content of the MQTT messages, you can filter the MQTT messages and you can trigger HS3 events based on the content and filtering results. On the outgoing side you can create flexible messages going out based on values, strings, status of HS3 devices.

Comment

Working...
                  X