This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick way to create Insteon devices in HS2 to HS3

Have finally had to bite the bullet and move the HS environment from HS2 to HS3 using HS3 plugin for the Insteon devices.

To try and minimize effort and errors, is there a way to move the Insteon defined in HS2 to HS3 .. (the tool that HS provides fails, each time I run it ther are no usable results).

As well due to the number of devices, events and scripts to convert .. we must have HS3 in test mod while HS2 is operational. Can we have Insteon devices defined in two environments and still be able to move from one environment to the other and back (however with only one environment powered/active at any time).

Suggestions on how to effectively do this would be appreciated.

if you copy the config\insteon.ini from hs2 to hs3, and restart the hs3 insteon plugin, it will recreate the new hs devices for the insteon devices and groups. All your links and settings will be retained.

You will have to recreate the hs3 events. no way around this as all the hs device IDs will change.

using the same insteon interface (plm, hub, etc) on hs3 will make this much easier.

Thus you really can't have hs2 insteon and hs3 insteon running at the same time.

but you can have hs2 and hs3 both running. just start and stop the plugin as necessary.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

two licenses only one being accepted

Mark I have two HS3 Insteon lic .. one for reg use and one for development.

the two are xxxxx and yyyyy with the same user id ..

Can you help me with how to get these licenses working

Don
      Last edited by mnsandler; February 17, 2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Don,

not to put you off, but if you are having licensing issues, you need to contact the HST help desk. They are the only one how can fix these issues.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Sorry Mark, I obviously did not describe the issue properly.

I have two HS3 licenses (including the Insteon plugin) .. one for Dev and one for Production.

When I backup the copy of the HS3 config from the dev machine (W10) and then reload it on the production machine (HS3, and W10), all the insteon devices disappear .. and must be recreated ..

Based on your previous note, that should not happen .. Correct?

If it is .. then how do I correct .. if I am correct that the removal is happening, how do I keep the Insteon devices active and not have to recreate them?

Comment

are using the same interface like the hub between the dev and prod server? if you are using different interfaces between dev and prod, you will need to have duplicate links in each device so you can control the devices from either server. you will need to use the 'program device for homeseer' from the secondary

you should be able to copy the homeseer.hsd and insteon.ini from prod to dev

please let me know the setup, and i can give you better advice.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I use the same exact same interface Smarthome U2413, HS3 running on W10 Pro.

I am sorry Mark, I do not know what else I can provide you to help diagnois this issue.

Thanks for the help ..

Don

Comment

Don,
                as long as you copy the config/insteon.ini and data/homeseer.hsd from the dev to the prod pc, you should be fine

the plugin will delete devices from hs if the insteon.ini is out of sync with the homeseer.hsd. so keep these two files together

if your data\homeseer.hsd file is named something different; make sure its correct in the settings.ini
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks Mark, that is the kind of info I need and will try to see what I can do to make this conversion less of a horrendous effort.

Don

Comment

Don
                    this should work without issue. Reply if anything else comes up
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark, I must be doing something wrong.

I am coping the .ini and .hsd from dev machine to the respective directories on the production machine.

So far, each time I do this, the insteon devices disappear. Could this be due to the fact that the interface is not the identical U2413 .. thus it sees a change and says .. restart.?

I must get this running as it is toooooo time consuming to rebuild the insteon devices each time.

Thoughts please..

Comment

Originally posted by djbeam View Post
                        Mark, I must be doing something wrong.

I am coping the .ini and .hsd from dev machine to the respective directories on the production machine.

So far, each time I do this, the insteon devices disappear. Could this be due to the fact that the interface is not the identical U2413 .. thus it sees a change and says .. restart.?

I must get this running as it is toooooo time consuming to rebuild the insteon devices each time.

Thoughts please..
                        so you do have a different 2413u on the dev then production. when i say different, i mean a different physical unit with a different insteon id. doesn't matter if it is the same model or not.

what version of the plugin are you running?

in the insteon.ini, change LastInterfaceAddress=aa.bb.cc to the correct insteon id of the production plm before you startup the plugin
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

yes the 2413 are physically different

version of plugin on both units is 3.0.6.0

After we have copied the .ini and .hsd from Dev to Prod, and added the proper address for the 2413 ... and then start HS3 . the same thing happens all the insteon devices disappear in the Device view.

Thoughts

Comment

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

sorry to take so long to get back to you, but the running system is in another location to where I live and we get up here periodically.

I have downloaded the beta and installed it on the prod HS3 W10 machine.

When I plug the 2413 in, modify the .ini to have the last address the same as this 2413 and restart HS3, all the preloaded insteon devices disappear.

I have been using 2 .. 2413's, one for XP and one for the W10 machine ... do you think I should use the same 2413 on both systems ?

Thoughts ..

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X