Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup homeseer email to send and receive from gmail account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowinger,

I have your SSL method of e-mail working with an event. It is the method shown in your post #2 in this thread. Is it better to use SSL or SMTP? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Now if I could get my gmail account on my samsung s7 to notify me via a sound when I receive an e-mail. I have spent quite some time researching this issue and have done everything but still no notification sound. This is true for my hotmail account for incoming mail. Any thoughts on the SSL/SMTP and notification issues are much appreciated. Thanks much !!!!! Rick

Comment

Here are my settings in HomeSeer, in case someone needs to reset other settings to try the information I poosted:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_Email.png
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1196341
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
        Cowinger,

I have your SSL method of e-mail working with an event. It is the method shown in your post #2 in this thread. Is it better to use SSL or SMTP? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Now if I could get my gmail account on my samsung s7 to notify me via a sound when I receive an e-mail. I have spent quite some time researching this issue and have done everything but still no notification sound. This is true for my hotmail account for incoming mail. Any thoughts on the SSL/SMTP and notification issues are much appreciated. Thanks much !!!!! Rick

Here is what I have set up for this. It does use 2-step verification. See pic.

I also found this info but I don't know if it pertains to anyone. I have seen where others have mentioned the part about the app not being verified.

If the screen says "This app isn't verified"

What this warning means...

Google hasn't reviewed the app or site. We don't know if the developer who made it is who they say they are.

To help keep your account safe, don't give permission to apps or sites that have this warning.

Give permission anyway

If you know and trust the developer of the app or site, you can give permission:

On the "This app isn't verified" screen, select Advanced.
        Select Go to ____ (unsafe).
        Follow the instructions.
        On the screen that asks for permission, select Allow.

How do I connect an app to my Google account?

On your Android phone or tablet, find Google settings in one of these places (depending on your device) Open your device's Settings app. ...
        Tap Connected apps.
        You'll see a list of apps with access to your Google Account. ...
        If you want to remove the app's access to your Google Account, tap Disconnect
        Attached Files
        Last edited by cowinger; April 13, 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I have Cowinger's method working without the two step verification. Does two step verification buy you that much more when it comes to security?

Is SSL better than SMTP? Why use SSL vs SMTP?

Just trying to figure out which is the best way to go. From what I am hearing from Ksum is that two step verification doesn't really buy you much?

Your thoughts are much appreciated !!!!! Rick

Comment

I have Cowinger's method working without the two step verification. Does two step verification buy you that much more when it comes to security?

Just trying to figure out which is the best way to go. From what I am hearing from Ksum is that two step verification doesn't really buy you much?

Your thoughts are much appreciated !!!!! Rick
            I saw these write ups and thought I would throw them in. How did you get it to work without using 2-step?

http://blog.mailgun.com/25-465-587-w...-should-i-use/

https://www.limilabs.com/blog/ssl-vs...-starttls-stls

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials...op3-smtp-imap/

Comment

Remember that 2 step is for logging into Gmail to protect that account. The only thing it means to homeseer is that you must get a second password from Gmail which is specific for homeseer and generated by Gmail.

If you do not have 2 step verification on your Gmail account you only have one password for Gmail.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events

Comment

Well this is interesting. Ksum, you said that HS doesn't care about 2-step and it just needs one pw. I agree but there is an interesting twist here. I just went in and turned off 2-step from the account I use for HS and all still works using the generated pw and not the pw I created the account with. I am now wondering why the pw doesn't need to be changed back to the pw made when the account was made. Why would the generated pw still work? The only way the generated pw was made was by turning on 2-step. ??? Shouldn't turning it off remove or make the generated pw invalid?

Comment

SSL doesn't replace SMTP, just adds a layer of encryption to it. SMTP doesn't have encryption by itself.

SMTP stands for "Simple Mail Transport Protocol" which is the protocol used for email.

SSL stands for "Secure Socket Layer", which is the encryption "layer". As the article notes, SSL has been replaced by TLS.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                    Well this is interesting. Ksum, you said that HS doesn't care about 2-step and it just needs one pw. I agree but there is an interesting twist here. I just went in and turned off 2-step from the account I use for HS and all still works using the generated pw and not the pw I created the account with. I am now wondering why the pw doesn't need to be changed back to the pw made when the account was made. Why would the generated pw still work? The only way the generated pw was made was turning on 2-step. ???
                    Once the second password is set up Google retains it in case you turn two step back on. With it turned off after initial setup you could, in theory, use either password with homeseer provided Google accepts said password with your connection method.

Apologies as my statement was not inclusive of this scenario.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
                      Once the second password is set up Google retains it in case you turn two step back on. With it turned off after initial setup you could, in theory, use either password with homeseer provided Google accepts said password with your connection method.

Apologies as my statement was not inclusive of this scenario.
                      No problem. I am glad you said it because I remember that my other gmail accounts required a generated pw to work. The reason I say this is because I tried using one of my other gmail accounts in HS using the pw created when the account was created and it did not work. So I did the generated pw and it worked.

I just put in my pw created with the account and tried sending an email from an event and Google blocked it! I put back in the generated one and it worked again. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                        No problem. I am glad you said it because I remember that my other gmail accounts required a generated pw to work. The reason I say this is because I tried using one of my other gmail accounts in HS using the pw created when the account was created and it did not work. So I did the generated pw and it worked.

I just put in my pw created with the account and tried sending an email from an event and Google blocked it! I put back in the generated one and it worked again. Go figure.

Interesting. I bet you had SSL checked. Did you try it without SSL? May get the opposite results.
                        Karl S
                        HS4Pro on Windows 10
                        1070 Devices
                        56 Z-Wave Nodes
                        104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
                          Interesting. I bet you had SSL checked. Did you try it without SSL? May get the opposite results.
                          I just tried it without ssl ticked and put in my other pw and nothing happened at all. No error email from google, no nothing. I then put back in the generated pw and left ssl unticked and again nothing at all. As soon as I ticked the ssl all of the tries I had sent went through. How's that for one.

Comment

Cowinger,

I set SMTP Server to:

smtp.gmail.com

Server Port: 465

smtp user name and password are standard gmail username and password.

Homeseer default from address and to address same as above

SSL is checked

In gmail setup checked box to allow unverified apps to access gmail.

I am only using this account to recieve e-mails from homeseer. No personal e-mails going to or from this account. Still not sure why the two step verification procedure would be needed in this case?

Also why would you allow apps to access your e-mail. Not sure I understand what this whole app thing is about? Any clarification would be much appreciated !!!!!! Thanks much again !!!!!!! Rick

Comment

Cowinger,

I set SMTP Server to:

smtp.gmail.com

Server Port: 465

smtp user name and password are standard gmail username and password.

Homeseer default from address and to address same as above

SSL is checked

In gmail setup checked box to allow unverified apps to access gmail.

I am only using this account to recieve e-mails from homeseer. No personal e-mails going to or from this account. Still not sure why the two step verification procedure would be needed in this case?

Also why would you allow apps to access your e-mail. Not sure I understand what this whole app thing is about? Any clarification would be much appreciated !!!!!! Thanks much again !!!!!!! Rick
                              I created another email address with the steps you used and it works great. I had been using an email address to use for HS and personal but now HS has it's own so 2-step not needed. Thanks for the help.

Comment

what am I doing wrong

I am getting the following error when trying to send email

Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.

I have use gmail checked. I put the my username without the @gmail.com and I put my password in the password. I am not using 2 factor authentication. What am I doing wrong?

rkshack

Comment

Working...
                                X