Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my Mac OS X 10.9 server, lsusb doesn't do anything... (it's not a valid command). :-(
    I am guessing that there are hardware tools in the MAC OS that you could utilize to see devices connected to the USB port.

None the less if you have the USB port configured to the Z-Wave device then when you go to the controller status you will see the right stuff (firmware, devices et al in the configuration pieces of the Z-Wave device (whatever it may be). So you could "guess".

I am also guessing right now you are running HS3 in iOS and not in parallels or concurrent with HS3 running in Windows/parallels eh?

Both accessing hardware would cause discontent on your MAC.

IE: the status under plugins will show an error of it not connecting. You cannot break anything as its just a computer and software.

As you are still playing with HS3; it would behoove you to remove all of the devices / events based on said devices that have been created and start from scratch.

Just last night dealt with a similiar issue and I couldn't tell whether the old Z-wave devices would work with a updated Z-Wave plugin / Aeon stick controller on a Homestroller for a HS3 user that I was helping.

The Z-Wave DB in HS3 was showing up as corrupt with the newer HS3 Z-Wave plugin. I kept trying older Z-Wave DB's and they just didn't work. Rather here then I just went to reading the Z-wave controller and using the new devices that it created (well not even sure that those would work).

This issue cropped up on the day before this Homeseer user was going on a vacation which is not really a good time for this to happen.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Mac Autostart instructions

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      HS3 for Linux may also be installed on MAC OS.

* Ideally, HS3 should start when the MAC starts. If a MAC expert can post instructions on how to do this, I can add those instructions to this post.
      I am certainly no Mac expert, but I have been able to modify my Mac to autostart HS3. In order to do this I had to write a plist file and place it in the /Library/LaunchDaemons/ folder. The permissions for this folder are VERY specific and that is one of the biggest problems I had.

I have tried to attach the plist file and a screenshot of the permissions.

Make sure you edit the plist file to run the mono command from whatever directory you extracted HS3 to. You'll probably want to modify the logging locations too (since HS3 will be running in the background).

I hope this helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        I am guessing that there are hardware tools in the MAC OS that you could utilize to see devices connected to the USB port.

None the less if you have the USB port configured to the Z-Wave device then when you go to the controller status you will see the right stuff (firmware, devices et al in the configuration pieces of the Z-Wave device (whatever it may be). So you could "guess".

I am also guessing right now you are running HS3 in iOS and not in parallels or concurrent with HS3 running in Windows/parallels eh?

Both accessing hardware would cause discontent on your MAC.

IE: the status under plugins will show an error of it not connecting. You cannot break anything as its just a computer and software.

As you are still playing with HS3; it would behoove you to remove all of the devices / events based on said devices that have been created and start from scratch.

Just last night dealt with a similiar issue and I couldn't tell whether the old Z-wave devices would work with a updated Z-Wave plugin / Aeon stick controller on a Homestroller for a HS3 user that I was helping.

The Z-Wave DB in HS3 was showing up as corrupt with the newer HS3 Z-Wave plugin. I kept trying older Z-Wave DB's and they just didn't work. Rather here then I just went to reading the Z-wave controller and using the new devices that it created (well not even sure that those would work).

This issue cropped up on the day before this Homeseer user was going on a vacation which is not really a good time for this to happen.
        I have a solid HS2 implementation on Windows, and have had that for years. I tried HS3 on Windows when it came out, then again a few months later, and it was abysmal in my setup - not sure if it was timing, the configuration of my house, or what.

However I'd really like to get this going on my Mac server to remove my last Windows machine. So I figured I would try it out.

The issue is that there are literally dozens of /dev options to pick, so it would take hours to test them all to find the right one. I'm hoping there's an easier way to identify what the /dev is for the USB-Serial device plugged into my Mac.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Okay, I installed the Prolific driver found here:
          http://pbxbook.com/other/mac-tty.html

Rebooted, shut down Parallels, then ls /dev/*usb* finally showed something, which I picked in HS3. It recognized the Z-Troller, imported all the devices, but it gets an error for everything saying:

02:23:12:7121:[Z-Wave]->Checking if we can reach node 102
          02:23:12:7340:[Z-Wave]->Cannot reach node 102, will not import any information about this node.
          02:23:12:7346:[Z-Wave Warning]->Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 102, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.

And it's all instant. I restarted the controller, same errors. This exact same controller works fine on HS2, on the same machine, plugged into the same USB port (via Parallels).

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'd prefer not to zap my entire network from the Z-Troller.

I also noticed there are two Z-Wave libraries, one says "Beta for Linux" under updates, which one should I be using?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi,

I'm trying to install HS3 ver.149 on my Mac but for some reason I'm unable to proceed. I was running HS3 before on the same MAC but I had to reboot my system and all of a sudden it stoped working.

Comment

I tried installing HS3 version 208 to my Mac running OS X El Captain. It somewhat worked.
              Even though I had trouble to install the Homeseer Z-Wave plug-in the recommended way (file downloaded had trouble), I was able to manually download it and manually install it by using the local install method. The real deal breaker, however, was the Log was totally empty in HS3 and the terminal window would continuously print SQLite read errors.

Comment

Has anybody been able to get Mono+HS3 working on a Mac?

I have tried several times on Mac OS X 10.11 El Captain, with different Mono versions. No matter what version I try, Mono gets installed succesfully, I then run all tests designed to verify that the installation is fine and all work perfectly.

When I use ./go to run Homeseer, for some strange reason, I keep getting "GetLog Error: sqlite3_column_database_name16" on the Terminal window, immediately after I click on the View/Log link. For me, this is a deal breaker, because it goes into an endless loop and you cannot do any kind of message observation from then on.

I've read on a different thread that Homeseer only works with Mono up to 3.12.0, but was unable to get the Mac to run successfully, even with that version.

Funny thing is that it appears that the log is written correctly, which you can find out if you later install the Mac OS X specific version of SQLite3. The problem seems to be related to READING the log only... I don't know how to go further, so some help would be very much appreciated.

Anyone got successful?
                Last edited by cesarvog; November 8, 2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

FWIW, I just purchased and downloaded HomeSeer and installed it on my Mac mini running Mavericks (10.9.5) pretty simply:

1. Created 'homeseer' user with Administrator privileges
                  2. Logged in as homeseer user and installed Mono 3.10.31 MRE ( http://download.mono-project.com/arc.../macos-10-x86/ )
                  3. Downloaded and extracted the HS Linux Tarball
                  4. cd into the HomeSeer folder and executed ./go

I will say, make sure you haven't installed mono from the terminal previously, using Homebrew or Macports. If you have, open up a terminal and issue 'mono --version' to make sure you have the intended version showing. If not you'll need to remove the offending version using whatever package management tool you used to install it.

That was it, it's up and running now. My only problems stem from the fact that I now need $130+ of additional plugins, some of which don't work in Linux/Mac to replace what I was doing for 'free' before, but thats a different rant...

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by roussell View Post
                    FWIW, I just purchased and downloaded HomeSeer and installed it on my Mac mini running Mavericks (10.9.5) pretty simply:

1. Created 'homeseer' user with Administrator privileges
                    2. Logged in as homeseer user and installed Mono 3.10.31 MRE ( http://download.mono-project.com/arc.../macos-10-x86/ )
                    3. Downloaded and extracted the HS Linux Tarball
                    4. cd into the HomeSeer folder and executed ./go

I will say, make sure you haven't installed mono from the terminal previously, using Homebrew or Macports. If you have, open up a terminal and issue 'mono --version' to make sure you have the intended version showing. If not you'll need to remove the offending version using whatever package management tool you used to install it.

That was it, it's up and running now. My only problems stem from the fact that I now need $130+ of additional plugins, some of which don't work in Linux/Mac to replace what I was doing for 'free' before, but thats a different rant...

Terry
                    Thanks for your reply, Terry.

That's the same sequence of things I tried. The two obvious different things I see is:

1) My Mac (also a Mini) is running El Captain, instead of Mavericks.
                    2) I have not tried Mono version 3.10.31, the lowest version I tried was 3.12.0

Just to make clear everything works on your setup, when you click on the View/Log menu option at the administrative web interface, do you see the Log, with all things that have happened so far with your install, or do you see an empty screen? If you see the Log, I probably will go on and try 3.10.31 as well, as I don't mind running an older Mono version. (fingers crossed)

Comment

I did see a log, however, I've now switched to a Linux VM on the Mac because I could never get Mono-UPNP installed for the Sonos plugin to function correctly. I actually spent less time installing VirtualBox, installing Ubuntu, HS and the initial config of everything than I did just screwing with the right version of mono and its dependencies on native Mac.

It's a shame, really. Indigo makes most of this stuff so easy, but needing more flexibility on the client side for media controls drove me to HS; seems like I'll have to sacrifice on the backend here though (at least those are my initial thoughts).

If I'm going to have to run a VM, I'm not sure if I shouldn't just run a Windows VM and not have to worry about odd comparability problems. This is very much an Apple household though, not a single Windows machine and I'd kinda like to keep it that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by roussell View Post
                        I did see a log, however, I've now switched to a Linux VM on the Mac because I could never get Mono-UPNP installed for the Sonos plugin to function correctly.
                        If I'm going to have to run a VM, I'm not sure if I shouldn't just run a Windows VM and not have to worry about odd comparability problems. This is very much an Apple household though, not a single Windows machine and I'd kinda like to keep it that way!
                        Thanks for answering back.

Here we have an all Apple household as well. I would very much like to keep it that way, but...

I'm currently also trying Blue Iris 4 (to manage security cams on my property). Unfortunately, it seems to be Windows only... So, I've set it up on a Windows 10 Pro VM under Parallels Desktop 11. I must say I'm quite impressed by it's feature set and that it has been running quite well, despite being run from a VM.

I've learned about Blue Iris here at the homeseer forum and I'm glad I've decided to take a little look at it. Over several years, I've been a loyal SecuritySpy (http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/) user, but I think I like Blue Iris a little too much... I think I may end up keeping it.

Because of the afore mentioned situation, If I can't get to run HS3 Linux on the Mac because of the Log issue, I most likely will end up giving up on the Linux version altogether and end up running the Windows version of HS3 on the VM as well. Will see...

But first, I will go ahead and try the Mono version you mentioned on your previous post. I will post back with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by cesarvog View Post
                          But first, I will go ahead and try the Mono version you mentioned on your previous post. I will post back with the results.
                          Just did. Removed Mono and reinstalled the version you mentioned.

mono -V returns:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Mono JIT compiler version 3.10.0 ((detached/92c4884 Thu Nov 13 23:27:38 EST 2014)
                          Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
                          TLS: normal
                          SIGSEGV: altstack
                          Notification: kqueue
                          Architecture: x86
                          Disabled: none
                          Misc: softdebug
                          LLVM: yes(3.4svn-mono-(detached/e656cac)
                          GC: sgen
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It still doesn't work. Maybe it's "El Captain"'s fault...
                          Thanks anyway.

Comment

Comment

Hello.

I am debating which way to go, stay WINTEL, or RasP1 3, or Pine64 2Gb or Mac Mini Server.

I am currently testing the migration of HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Linux) to a Mac Mini Sierra 10.12, Overall migration went well except for the one error with the log.
                              Code:
                              [Error]->GetLog Error: sqlite3_column_database_name16
                              Therefore, I am trying to establish the final outcome from the experieces and lesson learnt and/or what was the Mono version used as the work around. Your assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Personally here prefer running HS3 Pro on Ubuntu 64bit. I switched to Linux a couple of months after using HS3Pro in Wintel.

That said just moved my RPi2 HS3 Lite from the RPi2 to the Pine64 2Gb / Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit machine and it runs way better. I have settled on running HS3 lite on an Xi3/Xi5a dual AMD core mini PC machine which I really like. Just a tiny little metal box. Tested both and prefer the Xi3/Xi5A over the Pine64/2Gb machine right now. Only thing is that I can fit the Z-Wave GPIO card inside of the Pine64/2Gb machine and it would be levels above the RPi3 today.

I understand that Xi3 went out of business. That said they built a very nice machine and I got the Xi5A's for some $60 USD each. Well too I got the Pine64/2Gb machine for nothing. Did purchase a clear case for it and battery for clock.

I turned the RPi2 in to a remote Z-Wave device and changed the OS from Wheezy to Jessie and it is doing bad so probably going back to Wheezy on the slave machine.

I like the GPIO Z-Wave me device over any of the Z-Wave sticks I am using (testing) right now.

It might be better for me to set up a new Z-Wave slave using the Pine64 2Gb machine in stead of an RPi2. More RAM is always good.

It really depends on how much you are doing with HS3 Pro.

I have no experience with using the Mac mini server. That said what are the specs on it?

My current HS3 Pro machine is running fine on an iSeries3 / 16Gb machine.

I use Aopen Digital engines today (similiar to a Mac Mini) for my Kodi STBs and they do fine. Also testing another Xi3/Xi5a for a Kodi box. Works great but not something I want to put next to the LCD TV today.

Apologies for the splat of information here. I like to tinker with different hardware lately to run HS3 on Linux.

Basically I would suggest bigger CPU / more memory for running HS3 Pro to your liking.

I am currently using Oracle VB's on the Ubuntu HS3 Pro machine for running MS SAPI and other Wintel only plugins (that work with Linux) today. IE: run a speaker dot exe for every Homeseer box up today concurrently on one VB such that I can tell which HS box is doing what today (different SAPI speech fonts).
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Pete; September 22, 2016, 07:13 AM.
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                                X