Monitoring Way2Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring Way2Call

As stated before, I have an issue with the Way2Call modem going off line. I haven't found out why, but after missing a bunch of calls, I have decided to monitor the device.

So far, the only way I can figure out is to count the amount of rings and if it exceeds the number of rings that I set the Way2Call to answer, I have a problem. This is really messy. Can anyone suggest a better way?

Thanks.
    Don

Don,
    Is the ability for HS to recognize an incoming call working? Does it trigger your CID script even though the W2C doesn't answer? If so, you might be able to have the CID script kick off a new thread with a monitor script that does something with the W2C status and the number of rings to alert you of a no-answer.
    Off the top of my head, the below would loop (every 2 seconds) while the status was 1 or 2 (incoming call), then write to the log if the ringcount exceeds five. You'd probably want to add a loop counter to exit after some number of loops, just to insure against an infinite loop situation, though it should exit when the line status goes back to idle (status 0). If those tests work for you, then you could have it email you or something when the W2C did a no-answer.

Code:
    Do While hsp.LINEstatus(1) > 0 and hsp.LINEstatus(1) < 3
        If hsp.LINEstatus(1) = 2 AND  hsp.HandsetOnHook(1) = "TRUE" AND 
           hsp.LineRingCount(1) > 5
           hs.WriteLogEx("CID script", "Ringcount: " & hsp.LineRingCount(1), 
           "#008000")
           hs.WriteLogEx("CID script", "Handset: " & hsp.HandsetOnHook(1), 
           "#008000")
           hs.WriteLogEx("CID script", "Status: " & hsp.LINEstatus(1), "#008000")
        End If 
       hs.WaitSecs(2)
    Loop
    Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Hadn't thought of that... I will wait until the W2C goes AWOL, and see if it replies to the code.

Thanks
      Don

Comment

Just curious Don are you using it on usb power only or do you have the wall wart adapter installed as well?

Jeff

Comment

External power supply. I have a rather long USB adapter from the HS computer.
          Don

Comment

OK, I also have mine on external power as I had better luck with it that way. i know others that used to have better luck with CID sometimes with it just on usb, but for me that was never the case. As for going offline I haven't seen that before except when one of mine was failing it started acted a bit strange the month or so before it finally quit. I think the one that failed was used when I bought it and it was probably 3 or 4 years after I had it before it finally failed. I'm on my second one that I bought new currently and I have picked up a spare on ebay when I find them really cheap. I'm guessing you don't currently have a spare one around to test.

Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff;

No spare, but I'm also on my second or third one.
              Don

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                External power supply. I have a rather long USB adapter from the HS computer.
                Have you tried/considered extending the phone line to the HS computer so you can run without the USB extender?
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I'm considering that, but due to the way my automation closet is set up, that would add more disarray to an already chaotic area. Good idea, maybe it is time to do that.
                  Don

Comment

Here I have two W2C boxes inside of the Leviton 42" media can.

The telephone lines are also inside of the Leviton media can.

Still using original W2C boxes here with original firmware.

Inside of the can I am feeding the two W2C boxes power via one power cable.

The W2C boxes are connected via active USB extenders which are 50 feet to the server rack.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hey Pete;

Active USB cable? Could you explain?
                      Don

Comment

Active USB cables use part of the usb power to create a hub which allows you to extend the distance of the normal spec of standard usb. Which I think is around 15 feet.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...on+cable&psc=1

That is just the first example that popped up and I would look around before getting one, but I use them quite often if I have to run a device over 10 feet or more on USB. In fact I have my HTC Vive running over a 30 or 35 foot active cable and it works quite well.

You can do something similar, by chaining 10 foot usb cables together with powered usb hubs. Doing that gets quite costly and you have to do several of them if you want much distance at all. The active cable normally is cheaper, cleaner and works better. You also don't have to power 3 or 4 usb hubs to get the connect to the distance you want.

Jeff

Comment

Monoprice sells these.

USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Active Extension / Repeater Cable

HS2 X 2 boxes were set up with one active USB cable going 50 feet to Digi 7 port powered USB hub (with w2c boxes), USB 9097 and two 8 port Digi Edgeports for years.

HS3 Pro is using one 50 foot one right now to a 7 port Digi USB hub to whatever.

Way2Call boxes (2) have been connected like this now for over 10 years.

Old HS2 HSPhone INI file would get trashed every few months way long time ago.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I looked at my USB extension and it doesn't say anything about being active, plus it's 32' long.

I'll try the suggestions kindly given.

Thanks
                            Don

Comment

The active USB extensions have larger ends and made in a variety of lengths of 15, 32, 49 and 69 feet.

The ones pictured are A Male to A Female which I utilize.

[ATTACH]63635[/ATTACH]

You can also purchase active extensions which have the other type of ends to them.

[ATTACH]63636[/ATTACH]

These USB extenders used to be more expensive a few years back.

I also use these for my CarPCs extensions from the back to the front dashboard of the car. I do not really need them for the automobiles but they work well for me for playback of media (audio or video media).

Way back purchased the Mimo USB monitor for use with HSTouch and tested it with USB extenders. It worked except the power had to be local.

Windows Homeseer 2 days it was:

Windows HS2 box ==> one active USB cable ==> Digi powered 7 port Hub ==> Way to Call box, 1-Wire 9097, 2 Digi (8 port) serial boxes.

All telco, ISP, cat5e punch panels, HS controllers are in one section of the basement (along with 42" Leviton can) and the server rack in another section of the basement.

Much of the HS2 stuff was RS-232. I extended the RS-232 via Cat5e baluns. IE: Irrigation was ~100 feet away. NTP server was in the attic, W800 box was in the attic, Cheaper RFID box was in the attic (where as server was in the basement) of a two story home. All this stuff works the same in Linux today.

Quantec 4 port network servers do not work in Linux today. Just Windows.

Been helping a Homeseer user with his wiring closet / server room under a stair case in his home. There is no basement. Everything in the home is wired to the closet under his stair case.

BTW here still use an external power supply and active USB cable. That said it was a while ago recall reading W2C threads about weird issues and the solution to these issues was grounding the W2C box. I have never done this before. Every once in a while I still shut down Homeseer and reset the W2C device utilizing the diagnostic program. Then load up HS and all is well.
                              Last edited by Pete; October 5, 2017, 01:19 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X