LED Strip Light Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Strip Light Flickering

I am using a very simple setup to control LED strip lights that are approx. 20' long. I have an Arduino Nano that is supposed to control multiple such lights. I am currently trying to do this with just one light strip (using just one pin on the Arduino). I can adjust the dimming level in a wide range. Should I be concerned with cooling (the IRL540N seems to stay quite cool will be in a relatively small box instead of an open room where it is right now), switching speed and ripples? I think it's over engineering but like to get some input.

Just for reference, from my research there are some really interesting sites including:

http://joost.damad.be/2012/09/dimmin...osfet-and.html
    https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-dimming-a-led

If you are suffering from flickering is it a repeated flickering (rather than one flicker then on for a while etc), does it only happen at low dim levels or is it all the time.

The MOSFET is quite a high current one but temperature will likely depend on the current you are trying to switch with it, do you know the type/number of LED's or any specs of watts per meter?

Comment

Ah, that was an incorrect title. The question is basically if it's ok to drive a 20' LED strip with just an IRL540N or if it's advisable for a more sophisticated setup. The LED strip I am using has 60 LED/m with 5630 LEDs. At 12V I think you need about 1.2A per meter. So at 20' that's about 8A.

Also I was thinking of using a p-channel MOSFET. I purchased some NDP6020P which have a quite low RDS(on) even at VGS of 4.5V. Combined with a 2N7000 that should make a good setup. But maybe it's overkill. The main reason I consider a p-channel MOSFET is so I can cut off the 12V to the LEDs at the control point which is 20-50' away from the various locations where I have those LED strip lights.

Comment

Working...
      X