Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
    Do you want to send me one?

That's actually something I've been interested in but haven't been willing to purchase a new thermostat. Our heated floors were installed before these wi-fi controllable thermostats were available.

Looks like the NuHeat Signature thermostat can be accessed via a cloud service but they don't publish the API. There are a couple of people that seem to have reverse engineered it. So I'll actually think about it, but it's tough to test without having the hardware.

I'll send you a PM.

Comment

Will the plugin work with Linux?

I just ordered a RainMachine Mini-8, 2nd gen. My OpenSprinkler stopped communicating suddenly (a constant ping is successful only for a few seconds per hour).

I decided on the RainMachine over the Rachio primarily due to Weather Underground support, and a neighbor's system is on that network. I don't feel like the new Rachio "hyperlocal" weather monitoring will be as good as a high quality weather station 4 doors down. I thought IFTTT and Alexa integration would be sufficient but was excited to see your plugin for RM as I'd love to continue to monitor via HS3.

I'm running the latest HS3 Pro on an RPi3 with Linux. Should your plugin support Linux?

Thanks for creating the plugin!
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by benposton View Post

I'm running the latest HS3 Pro on an RPi3 with Linux. Should your plugin support Linux?

Ben
        Yes, it should work on Linux but I can't say that I've tested it on Linux. So let me know.
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in
        http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

My OpenSprinkler stopped communicating suddenly (a constant ping is successful only for a few seconds per hour).

For my OpenSprinkler it would periodically lose comms for approx 20mins. This was happening about 8-10 times a day. They replaced it once for me but I still had the same problem. Eventually they confirmed try that the network stack and overall networking capabilities of the board are extremely limited and that it can get overloaded by general network broadcast traffic. A permanent ping of course is contributing to that. I have now put mine on a VLAN and restricted most traffic from going there. I have also turned off monitoring of the device with BLLAN and Jon00's RCCNM monitors and just leave the OS Plugin to monitor it. It is much better now, though still loses connectivity 1-2 times daily for ~8 mins.

All that said, losing connectivity doesn't affect the programmed runs, just the ability to control from HS3. I have a script that determines whether to water or not and that sets the rain delay. In my HS3 event I set the rain delay, then run it again 30 mins later to be sure.
          cheeryfool

Comment

I just ordered a RainMachine Mini-8, 2nd gen. My OpenSprinkler stopped communicating suddenly (a constant ping is successful only for a few seconds per hour).

I decided on the RainMachine over the Rachio primarily due to Weather Underground support, and a neighbor's system is on that network. I don't feel like the new Rachio "hyperlocal" weather monitoring will be as good as a high quality weather station 4 doors down. I thought IFTTT and Alexa integration would be sufficient but was excited to see your plugin for RM as I'd love to continue to monitor via HS3.

Ben

Ben--have you tried the new RainMachine? Integrated with HS3?

Comment

Cool. That type of control/monitoring should be possible with the current plug-in.

The one issue with the RM is that you have to poll it for status which isn't ideal for monitoring. I'm currently polling it every 10 seconds to check on the zone/program status. My 1st gen hardware doesn't seem terribly powerful and I was concerned about placing too much load on it if I polled more frequently.

This could impact something like the motion detected case if the sprinklers just turned off and within the 10 second window, motion was detected then HS wouldn't realize it should turn them back on again. This might not be a bad thing since you probably don't want them turning off/on rapidly anyway.

Bob--with the current state of your plugin, it sounds like basic control is all I would need. Does something like UltraJones' Rachio plug-in do anything more than your RainMachine plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                Ben--have you tried the new RainMachine? Integrated with HS3?
                Yes, got the most recent Mini-8 (gen 2). Plugin install was easy enough and it created the devices just as expected. Working just fine!!

Thanks for creating this plugin!

Ben

Comment

Yes, got the most recent Mini-8 (gen 2). Plugin install was easy enough and it created the devices just as expected. Working just fine!!

Thanks for creating this plugin!

Ben

What sort of automations are you doing with HS3? Or just monitoring?

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                    What sort of automations are you doing with HS3? Or just monitoring?
                    Just monitoring for now.

Comment

Hi,

I have the RainMachine plugin installed and it works fine through the HS3 web interface. I want to integrate it into my full irrigation system (part of which is controlled by another type of controller), so I'd like to write scripts to control the devices the plugin creates.

I'm not an expert at CAPI controls - I know how to turn things on and off, but the Rainmachine devices have more complicated control pairs for CAPI commands. Would it be possible for you to post a simple example of a CAPI command that would turn on a device named 'Zone 1' tor 10 minutes? I think I could figure out the rest on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
                        Hi,

I have the RainMachine plugin installed and it works fine through the HS3 web interface. I want to integrate it into my full irrigation system (part of which is controlled by another type of controller), so I'd like to write scripts to control the devices the plugin creates.

I'm not an expert at CAPI controls - I know how to turn things on and off, but the Rainmachine devices have more complicated control pairs for CAPI commands. Would it be possible for you to post a simple example of a CAPI command that would turn on a device named 'Zone 1' tor 10 minutes? I think I could figure out the rest on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
                        Well, I'm not an expert at HS scripting but it shouldn't be too difficult. For the zone control, it's pretty similar to a lighting dimmer. It can be off or on with a value.

If you look at the controls in the device "Status Graphic" tab, there should be two. One of the fields for those is called "control use" That value can be used to select which control you want to use. I haven't tried this, but from the scripting documentation, I think you want to do something like:
                        Code:
                        Dim objCAPIControl As CAPIControl
                        Dim dvRef as Integer

dvRef = hs.GetDeviceRefByName("Zone 1")
                        objCAPIControl = hs.CAPIGetSingleControlByUse(dvRef,ePairControlUse._On)
                        If objCAPIControl IsNot Nothing Then
                          objCAPIControl.ControlValue = 10 * 60
                          hs.CAPIControlHandler(objCAPIControl)
                        End If
                        The ePairControlUse._On parameter to CAPIGetSingleControlByUse says to get the control that has "Control Use" set to "on".

The objCAPIControl.ControlValue = 10 * 60 is to pass in the number of seconds you want the zone to run for. In this case 10 minutes (600 seconds).

If you wanted to turn off the zone before the 10 minutes were up, you get the off control using ePairControlUse._Off and just call the CAPIControlHandler with the off control.

That's my best guess on how it should work.
                        --
                        Bob Paauwe
                        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Excellent, thanks so much. I'll get it to work and will then post the solution so others can utilize it if needed as well.

Comment

Tested with my RainMachine Mini8 - seems to work.

Few observations / requests:
                            1) i swear on install it started your ISY plugin too... i was leaving it off untill i saw some of the replies in that thread on rooms, and i swear the ISY plugin 'just' started
                            2) could you support grouping?
                            3) have a port field that defaults to 8080 for idiots like me who didn't read the UI properly 5 times in a row :-)
                            4) ability to filter unused zones (yes i know you can hide them in HS UI)

Comment

Originally posted by scyto View Post
                              Tested with my RainMachine Mini8 - seems to work.

Few observations / requests:
                              1) i swear on install it started your ISY plugin too... i was leaving it off untill i saw some of the replies in that thread on rooms, and i swear the ISY plugin 'just' started
                              2) could you support grouping?
                              3) have a port field that defaults to 8080 for idiots like me who didn't read the UI properly 5 times in a row :-)
                              4) ability to filter unused zones (yes i know you can hide them in HS UI)
                              1) There's no magic link between the two plug-ins, at last not on purpose

2) All of the devices are grouped together now, so I'm assuming you mean by type; all zones grouped together, all programs grouped. Hmm, HS doesn't provide a hierarchy for groupings so I'd have to split the current group. It might make more sense split up. I'll experiment with it.

3) I'm so used to entering IP:Port for various things that I don't even think about it. Would adding a tool tip with examples maybe be an alternative? Make it more obvious.

4) Sure, that can be configurable.
                              --
                              Bob Paauwe
                              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

1) There's no magic link between the two plug-ins, at last not on purpose
                                I will keep an eye on it and see if it does it again or if i fat fingered :-) - one can see in the logs that the plugin started as soon as the rainmachine install finished - i will see if i can repro, of you don't hear from me assume i was an idiot

2) All of the devices are grouped together now, so I'm assuming you mean by type; all zones grouped together, all programs grouped. Hmm, HS doesn't provide a hierarchy for groupings so I'd have to split the current group. It might make more sense split up. I'll experiment with it.
                                Not sure if i was clear and i don't want you to do a lot of unneeded work - i was looking at the attached view and wondering why the envisalink plugin groups them nicely and your plugin doesn't. I have OCD :-)

3) I'm so used to entering IP:Port for various things that I don't even think about it. Would adding a tool tip with examples maybe be an alternative? Make it more obvious.
                                I don't think a tool tip will help. They seem to be unreliable in some browsers
                                I would suggest another line item prepopulated with the default of 8080.

Also these are only nice to haves, the plug in does what it needs to and I understand it is free. Please don't feel obliged to do UI work :-)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X